Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Havantgottaclue

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:11 am

Stardew Valley is brilliant, but you did say you wanted games that weren’t a massive time sink. Well, I played SV for over 100 hours on the Switch and there are still challenges I haven’t finished (the fishing ones were fairly low down my list of priorities). That said, it is one of those games you can just pick up and play - it’s good for winding down.

If you like a quick retro blast, how about a bit of Nuclear Throne? It’s a really good twin stick shooter with random level layouts, so every play through is different. The weapons are nice and satisfying and the graphics will definitely remind you of the SNES era.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Grandia Collection will be out on the 16th this month.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:24 am

Next SEGA Ages titles, Puyo Puyo and Space Harrier are coming on the 22nd

https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/1159494485862076417
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Jarque

Post by Jarque » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Having just finished AC3 and currently playing through Liberation, I’d love to see Black Flag, Rogue, etc ported. I think the Switch could handle it. The AC3 remaster was a peach of a game. Liberation perhaps less so.
“Let his name be praised...” - Lo Ray (1993)

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks for the recommendations @pratty and @Havantgottaclue

I see Ni no Kuni is coming to Switch, so as a big Studio Ghibli and Joe Hisaishi fan, that's another 'must-have'...

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Astral Chain is looking very promising. There’s a very enthusiastic preview on Wccftech today.

It’s pretty much locked in for a purchase on 30 August.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:22 am

Loving Fire Emblem so far, I'm maybe half way through and already it's easily in my top 5 Switch games played so far. :D

I fully expect to end up purchasing the DLC pass.
Havantgottaclue wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:45 pm
Astral Chain is looking very promising. There’s a very enthusiastic preview on Wccftech today.

It’s pretty much locked in for a purchase on 30 August.
I took a leap of faith and pre-ordered this some months ago, glad to hear my faith will likely be rewared. :)
TheAlex wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:22 pm
I see Ni no Kuni is coming to Switch, so as a big Studio Ghibli and Joe Hisaishi fan, that's another 'must-have'...
I'm on the fence on this one, not sure I can justify purchasing it as September will be an expensive month as it is, but I feel like this game could be rare/expensive in future. Still there's always digital if i get desperate for it I suppose. :|

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:11 pm

FFVIII is out early September and The Witcher 3 to be released mid October.

I'm interested in the The Witcher but don't know a great deal about it to be honest, I hear it's a relative technical marvel on the Switch, though the digital copy will take up around 32GB.

Also there's a Dragon Quest XI demo available to download.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:04 am

Witcher 3 is certainly a port that needed a bit extra as, unlike other AAA games that have made it to the Switch, it's a bit of a dog on low end PCs, even with all settings turned down. Fingers are crossed that the performance holds up throughout, and it's inevitable that some graphical downgrades will have been made.

As for the game itself, think of a Polish Skyrim, and you wouldn't be too far off the mark.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:03 am

The preview video on NintendoLife apears to be solid. I've not compared to PC, but then I don't really care for those comparisons anyway. Does it matter if it drops some frames and has some lower quality texture and lighting as long as the general gameplay and approximate visual appearance is 'near enough'?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... k_of_magic
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:07 am

For what it's worth, comparisons with the sort of PCs that you can play it in the go with would strongly favour the Switch. It's certainly not a game that either the GPD Win or the Surface Pro would be able to run in a satisfactory fashion.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:55 pm

Treated myself to a couple of Switch FPS games this week. Even though it has some issues - Doom (1) is still a blast to play. If they manage to patch the audio so its correct that would be nice, but I've been really enjoying the game anyway, definitely one of those timeless games that I can seemingly replay over and over.
Also grabbed the first Turok game and I'm really loving it, more so than when I got it for the N64 around launch. I think its a mix of me being more into big levels (because these are huge) and having a better control scheme to play the game with. I'll be grabbed Turok 2 at some point once I finish off the first game (probably not immediately, as Astral Chain and Zelda are out next month).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:49 pm

Would have picked up Doom but re-discovered my GBA copy the other week so have played it through again :)
(Still amazed how that little console could play games like that, and looks brilliant on the SP version!)

Just been playing through Hollow Knight - absolutely fantastic game, really moody style, and bloody difficult (brought back some old 16-bit era controller-throwing reflexes, although probably best not to do that with the Switch! :) )

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:14 pm

After putting so much time into it on the PS4, And finding myself getting to bed later and later, I had to buy Cities Skylines on the Switch, such a time sink but I love it! After SIm City for the SNES everythign seemed to be PC only, however this game is amazing, plays great on the switch so far but havent really got a big city to see if there is slow down.... anyone thinking about it, I Say grab it, I still plan to put many hours into the PS4 port too

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:00 pm

Been playing a nice amount of Ninja Warriors on Switch. Looks great in ultra widescreen mode like in the arcade original. I see the remaster of the sequel has also now been released, will pick that up asap :)

This week aside from playing loads of Doom (timeless) I've also completed Tiny Barbarian. Its a fantastic old school platformer that is pretty darn tough, especially in later levels but is still really damn good. Aside from the somewhat high price, well worth getting.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*