Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Havantgottaclue

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:26 pm

I've had a quick go on Doom 3. It looks as though it uses assets from the OG Xbox era - but while close-ups aren't flattering, it actually looks half decent in normal play. And as it's fairly unambitious it hits 60 FPS, which is much smoother than the perhaps overambitious Doom (2016). Got to say £7.99 is a decent price point too.

Just makes you think, something like the Orange Box would work really well. Completed HL2 and all the episodes years ago on 360, but would probably play it all through again if it were available on the move.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:54 pm

Yes, I played DOOM 3 back in the day and enjoyed it then, also this comes with Resurrection of Evil which is the expansion which is also great. This is well and truly worth £7.99.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Doom 3 is a good game which had outstanding graphics for its day, but it plays very differently to the first two games in the series and the recent reboot in that it's more of a slow-paced jump-scare horror affair.

In terms of what the Switch is getting, it's the 2012 BFG edition re-make with the improved assets. They're nowhere near as slick as some of the better mods though and it's still basically the same old engine underneath.

Interestingly, Doom II includes the Master Levels. As ever, Final Doom gets left out though.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:05 pm

There could be more Doom on the way. Apparently Doom 64 has been rated for a release.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:37 pm

Now The Outer Worlds slated for release ... what won't they port to the system?

I'll get Outer Worlds with Game Pass. But if it's good enough, a mobile port might be just the ticket for my commute, even if it is heavily cut back graphically.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:22 am

I have no other options for current gen, so Outer World is looking very promising to me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:47 am

I've been playing Switch quite a lot recently. It's amazing how the library has boomed - it is the perfect platform for those little indie and retro titles that you want to play on the move as well as at home. I put in over 100 hours on Stardew Valley. Baba is You is a fantastic puzzler, a sort of warped Soko-ban. I'm also about 12 hours into Octopath Traveller and thoroughly hooked. I have no idea how the aesthetic, which blends old and new in a unique way works, but I think it really does.

I'm still slightly sceptical of some ports of modern games like Doom and Wolfenstein - you have to admire the effort, but I think dodgy framerates really do hurt a fast-paced shooter that's designed for 60FPS. Something like Outer Worlds, I'm optimistic about though. It doesn't have that faster pace of an out-and-out shooter so a janky framerate wouldn't hurt the gameplay anywhere near as much.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:12 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:47 am
I've been playing Switch quite a lot recently. It's amazing how the library has boomed - it is the perfect platform for those little indie and retro titles that you want to play on the move as well as at home. I put in over 100 hours on Stardew Valley. Baba is You is a fantastic puzzler, a sort of warped Soko-ban. I'm also about 12 hours into Octopath Traveller and thoroughly hooked. I have no idea how the aesthetic, which blends old and new in a unique way works, but I think it really does.
I was recently wondering when the Switch has had it's run, where the Switch will rank in the greatest system of all time debates? I think it could be very high. A handheld and home console with so many great games with so much content on offer, I can't keep up with my Switch backlog alone, apparently I've put over 500 hours into just Dead Cells! :shock: Golf Story was another Indy game I really enjoyed with a retro feel. There have been some excellent more ambitious and grander modern games with Nintendo leading the way, with Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade, Smash, Fire Emblem, and hopefully Platinum's upcoming Astral Chain.
Havantgottaclue wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:47 am
I'm still slightly sceptical of some ports of modern games like Doom and Wolfenstein - you have to admire the effort, but I think dodgy framerates really do hurt a fast-paced shooter that's designed for 60FPS. Something like Outer Worlds, I'm optimistic about though. It doesn't have that faster pace of an out-and-out shooter so a janky framerate wouldn't hurt the gameplay anywhere near as much.
Personally, if those kinds of games play ok docked then that's a compromise I can live with. I haven't missed
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:15 pm

I think people can take the shortcomings because they can take it on the go. Does Doom look as good as its 4K XBONE version? No, but you can take the Switch version on the commute to work or anywhere you want. Still miles better than say, a phone port.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:52 pm

Naturally, the on-the-go aspect gives the Switch its unique selling point, it fulfils the promise of home console style gaming on the go, as the PSVita aspired to but never reached. To expect the standards of Xbox One (even the base model) would be foolish, of course. I’m not being critical as such, I just think that when you look at a port such as Doom 3 it seems a great fit for the machine - not trying to fit a quart into a pint pot. The game itself seems to hold up pretty well despite its age, and probably plays far better than it did on contemporaneous hardware, which would have cost an arm and a leg!

Something like Octopath Traveller is interesting - it’s come out on the PC now so if I wanted I could play it at a higher resolution and at 60fps. Thing is, I don’t think it’s a game where it benefits from those techie things. It looks fantastic on the Switch. Given the art style, I just don’t think higher res is going to make it look any better.

Thinking about Half Life 2, which I mentioned earlier, that already exists on the Nvidia Shield, so it already runs on this level of hardware - in fact I’m sure it would run better than it does on Android.

Plus I’d love to see the Metroid Prime games remastered - I bet they’d look a treat on the system. Maybe once MP4 gets closer to release, they’ll publish the trilogy as an appetiser ... I live in (forlorn) hope...

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:58 am

The Starlink price drop continues. Now at £10.99 at Argos.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... NWNVwUdZSs
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:50 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:52 pm

Plus I’d love to see the Metroid Prime games remastered - I bet they’d look a treat on the system. Maybe once MP4 gets closer to release, they’ll publish the trilogy as an appetiser ... I live in (forlorn) hope...
There have been industry insider types who have publicly confirmed Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Switch is a thing, infact it was said to have been finished and was expected to be announced last year, until Metroid Prime 4 was delayed. I've also heard the same from youtubers including professional reviewer/journalists. So could well be true.

I wonder how it would control. The joycons could probably replicate the Wii controls but where would that leave handheld play?

When you think about it there's tons Nintendo could port and remake for the Switch, and I expect they will. Personally I'd welcome it, especially for Wii and Gamecube games that could benefit from an HD upgrade.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:25 pm

I barely play games these days - only the occasional retro game or with family and friends when I visit. My only 'current' console is the SNES Mini. I'm thinking of buying a Switch for Collection of Mana, though it's too ridiculous to spend £300 just for an official translation and release of a 25-year-old game. The Switch Lite doesn't interest me and second-hand Switches are holding their value. I'm actually thinking of buying Collection of Mana (physical) even if I don't buy a Switch, in case it becomes difficult/expensive to get hold of.

If I buy a Switch, what else do people recommend from my wishlist? I think Mario Kart and Smash Bros are a given as I'd play those with family/friends (and do still play Wii Smash Bros). These days, I prefer games that are pretty straightforward to pick up and play, and aren't a big time-sink. I doubt I'd go without Breath of the Wild and Odyssey though...

Golf Story*
Gorogoa
Inside
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, The
LEGO City: Undercover
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Moonlighter*
Overcooked! 2
Retro City Rampage: DX
Splatoon 2
Stardew Valley*
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

*Probably one from these three. I'd edge towards Golf Story or Moonlighter as a different experience to Harvest Moon, which was a favourite game.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:25 pm

pratty wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:50 pm
Havantgottaclue wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:52 pm

There have been industry insider types who have publicly confirmed Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Switch is a thing, infact it was said to have been finished and was expected to be announced last year, until Metroid Prime 4 was delayed. I've also heard the same from youtubers including professional reviewer/journalists. So could well be true.

I wonder how it would control. The joycons could probably replicate the Wii controls but where would that leave handheld play?

When you think about it there's tons Nintendo could port and remake for the Switch, and I expect they will. Personally I'd welcome it, especially for Wii and Gamecube games that could benefit from an HD upgrade.
I'd suspect that they'd have to go for something that more resembles the control scheme of the original GameCube games with perhaps a few nods towards motion controls with either the pointer control or the touch screen for scanning, or some such.

Certainly, with the Switch Lite having fixed controllers, I'd think it very unlikely that they'd make a game where it's going to be unplayable on it without extra Joy-cons.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:39 am

TheAlex wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:25 pm
I barely play games these days - only the occasional retro game or with family and friends when I visit. My only 'current' console is the SNES Mini. I'm thinking of buying a Switch for Collection of Mana, though it's too ridiculous to spend £300 just for an official translation and release of a 25-year-old game. The Switch Lite doesn't interest me and second-hand Switches are holding their value. I'm actually thinking of buying Collection of Mana (physical) even if I don't buy a Switch, in case it becomes difficult/expensive to get hold of.

If I buy a Switch, what else do people recommend from my wishlist? I think Mario Kart and Smash Bros are a given as I'd play those with family/friends (and do still play Wii Smash Bros). These days, I prefer games that are pretty straightforward to pick up and play, and aren't a big time-sink. I doubt I'd go without Breath of the Wild and Odyssey though...

Golf Story*
Gorogoa
Inside
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, The
LEGO City: Undercover
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Moonlighter*
Overcooked! 2
Retro City Rampage: DX
Splatoon 2
Stardew Valley*
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

*Probably one from these three. I'd edge towards Golf Story or Moonlighter as a different experience to Harvest Moon, which was a favourite game.
I agree Mario and Zelda are too good to ignore, they're well worth the time invested.

I haven't played Stardew or Moonlighter but I do have Golf Story, it isn't overly long and is fairly linear so you won't get lost and not know where to go. The courses are only 9 holes so they don't take too long either. I really liked it and there is replayability as you can replay any of the courses you've unlocked to varying difficulties, so as well as the story mode you can also have a quick game on the go if you like.

Inside is good and not going to consume much time, though I'd try to get that on sale as there's not much to do when you've finished it and it while take a while to forget the puzzle solutions so you can replay it. Lego City was pretty good from what I remember from the Wii U version, the best Lego game I've played though I've not played many to be fair.

I've only played Splatoon on the Wii U but it is a blast in short bursts, you'll need to buy the online pass to get the most out of it though, there is extra single player dlc too if you like it.

Off the list Rayman Legends goes pretty cheap and is a quality 2D platformer.