Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Matt_B

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:53 pm

pratty wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:38 pm
ALK wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:02 am
For those still yet to bite on Starlink, its now down to £11.99 brand new at Argos as well as a fair few of the figurines as low as £1.79.
Still resisting, haha. The price is great but I think having a variety of weapons and ships would be more fun so I might try to get it on sale digitally when I have a bigger memory card.
They're presumably on a mission to flog off the remaining retail copies of the game in the hope of getting more people to buy the DLC, so I doubt you'll get anything like as good an offer on the digital download soon.

Note that you can complete the game with just the starter pack, including the Crimson Moon update. You just can't get the other ships, weapons and characters unless you buy the models or the DLC packs.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:30 pm

Shame about the Switch version of Bloodstained not running the best, I was really looking forwared to that, I may still get it later down the line when it's been patched.

Anyway, got my copy of Super Mario Maker 2 plus goodies today. Had a small panic when i recieved the standard copy of the game without the 12 month online membership included, however I just recieved an email about this with a code for my online pass, so no harm done. The steelbook looks very nice.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:37 pm

pratty wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:30 pm
Shame about the Switch version of Bloodstained not running the best, I was really looking forwared to that, I may still get it later down the line when it's been patched.

Anyway, got my copy of Super Mario Maker 2 plus goodies today. Had a small panic when i recieved the standard copy of the game without the 12 month online membership included, however I just recieved an email about this with a code for my online pass, so no harm done. The steelbook looks very nice.
I cancelled my SMM2 pre-order earlier this week - so interested to hear how you find it. I had the first one on the WiiU - just don't think I'd spend enough time creating with it - daughter liked the first one, but she's older now and only plays Sims 4 - don't ask.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:48 pm

slacey1070 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:37 pm
pratty wrote:

I cancelled my SMM2 pre-order earlier this week - so interested to hear how you find it. I had the first one on the WiiU - just don't think I'd spend enough time creating with it - daughter liked the first one, but she's older now and only plays Sims 4 - don't ask.
Not played much yet, only done a few of the story levels, they're good, and there's usually a theme or gimmick to them to illustrate how level elements can used. Haven't done any player created levels yet, hopefully they're not all balls hard.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:10 am

pratty wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:48 pm
slacey1070 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:37 pm
pratty wrote:

Not played much yet, only done a few of the story levels, they're good, and there's usually a theme or gimmick to them to illustrate how level elements can used. Haven't done any player created levels yet, hopefully they're not all balls hard.
Yes, that was a bit my issue with the original - loads of user content - almost all of it WAY too hard for my limited skills!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:37 pm

So the Switch Mini has finally been confirmed, named the Switch Lite.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... _september

Dedicated to Handheld gaming, so can't be docked to a TV
No motion controls or HD Rumble but you can connect a joycon wirelessly to it
3 colours, plus a Pokemon edition
An actual D Pad!
Compatible with all games that support handheld mode
September 20th release
ATM, a $200 pice tag (So probably £180 here)

Guess its not bad if you're not fussed about TV gaming at all and want something a bit smaller than the regular Switch model. I'll probably pick one up eventually but not right now.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:39 pm

I'm not in a rush to get one as I play mine docked all the time, but I may get one when they bring out a limited edition that takes my fancy.

On the d-pad, that it isn't obvious to some game journalists of all people, why this version has one and the original Switch didn't, is quite astounding.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:12 am

Big e-shop sale now on, for example Starlink's digital standard pack is around £17. Time to look into a bigger micro SD card.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... 3ds_europe

Some decent 3DS savings too, Radiant Historia and some of the Shin Megami Tensi games are half price and MGS 3 is only £9.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:48 pm

pratty wrote:
Yes me too. Very difficult to find an opinion I can go on to find quite how bad it actually is. Comments range from "it's not bad" and "certainly playable, don't know what the fuss is about" to "it looks like Jet Set Willy running on an Atari 2600" (well, not quite that bad but I've read a couple of 'throw it in the bin' comments).

Will wait for a performance patch which I believe is due within a week, might pick up Hollow Knight in the meantime (I believe the physical copy is due soon).

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:29 pm

Luigi's Mansion 3 has been dated for Halloween, for America at least.

Also a couple of new joycon colours coming.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... in_october
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ausclar

Post by ausclar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:29 am

ALK wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:37 pm
Super bummed that you can't dock it. I can't imagine it'd be hard for Nintendo to add docking capabilities. Probably just a money grab in hopes that consumers will opt for the more expensive model.

Ah well. Perhaps someone will release a mod? :twisted:

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:55 am

ausclar wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:29 am
ALK wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:37 pm
Super bummed that you can't dock it. I can't imagine it'd be hard for Nintendo to add docking capabilities. Probably just a money grab in hopes that consumers will opt for the more expensive model.

Don't forget there is a dockable version of the Switch Lite, it's called the Switch.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:15 am

ausclar wrote:

Sorry but I don't get this at all. They went to the expense of producing the Lite so that people won't buy it?

The lack of features is reflected in the price, you get what you pay for, I think this is fair and a good option for the consumer. Dedicated handhelds existed without docking before the Switch, I'm sure they can continue to do so.

But say you docked the Lite, how would you control it? A seperately sold pro-controller, that takes the total price of the Lite to almost the same as the regular Switch? Wouldn't that also be a 'money grab'?

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:51 am

Just bought a download code for Marvel Alliance 3, but realised I didn't have as much SD card space as I thought.

Before I offer it elsewhere anybody want to buy it from me at cost (£40)?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:03 am

pratty wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:15 am
ausclar wrote:

Sorry but I don't get this at all. They went to the expense of producing the Lite so that people won't buy it?

The lack of features is reflected in the price, you get what you pay for, I think this is fair and a good option for the consumer. Dedicated handhelds existed without docking before the Switch, I'm sure they can continue to do so.

But say you docked the Lite, how would you control it? A seperately sold pro-controller, that takes the total price of the Lite to almost the same as the regular Switch? Wouldn't that also be a 'money grab'?
I can see the logic in dropping the dock, but I'm surprised they haven't left an HDMI out facility in the new design for a straight cable connection to TV. It isn't like they'd be adding anything to the design, it only connects to the dock using the USB connection for charging that I assume remains. Has it specifically been said it won't be able to dock at all? Seems odd that it isn't an option when that element of the design didn't need to change. I always use the pro controller when my Switch is docked.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.