Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

BellyFullOfHell

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:28 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:41 pm
I know I like Robocod, I have it for my ST. I just don't like it £10 much when I've so much else to play on Switch already.

Its a good game, better than a lot of the indie dross that clogs up the eshop.
That's a tad sweeping.... there's so absolutely incredible indie stuff on Switch. I think the sector that does seem to be a little out of hands are the bare-bones mobile ports, but even those usually end up on sale at some point or other for 97p, which is criminal.

For instance, check out Not Not and No Thing. I've picked up both at that price, and found two cracking little games.

Also, Knight Terrors. A (not-quite) endless runner with power-ups and absolutely glorious Speccy-style visuals. An absolute steal at a couple of quid.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:03 am

JamesC wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 am
Does Robocod still include Penguin biscuits?
No, I read in a review they pulled the licensed stuff.
BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:28 am
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:41 pm
I know I like Robocod, I have it for my ST. I just don't like it £10 much when I've so much else to play on Switch already.

Its a good game, better than a lot of the indie dross that clogs up the eshop.
That's a tad sweeping.... there's so absolutely incredible indie stuff on Switch. I think the sector that does seem to be a little out of hands are the bare-bones mobile ports, but even those usually end up on sale at some point or other for 97p, which is criminal.

For instance, check out Not Not and No Thing. I've picked up both at that price, and found two cracking little games.

Also, Knight Terrors. A (not-quite) endless runner with power-ups and absolutely glorious Speccy-style visuals. An absolute steal at a couple of quid.
I didn't say all the indie stuff was dross. I have loads of it, there's some great games in there. But there is a lot of low quality releases that needs weeding through, I've bought a couple in error.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Cuphead - an ideal way to smash up or throw your switch. Probably the Darksouls of the run n gun world. Beautiful though.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:33 pm

Ehh, I'd still say the Switch eShop is a much better selection than the Wii U eShop and Wii Shop Channel (Excluding the Virtual Consoles). For those, it was 90% shovelware and 10% good indie and big publisher downloads where's on Switch, it seems about balanced good vs shovelware.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:24 pm

Balanced good vs shovelware? That's no balance at all. What you want is good, with no shovelware. Any more than the occasional accidental one slipping through the net really isn't good for anyone.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:24 pm

They need to apply the Official Nintendo Seal of Quality - that'll stop bad games getting on the system! :lol:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:43 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:48 pm
Cuphead - an ideal way to smash up or throw your switch. Probably the Darksouls of the run n gun world. Beautiful though.
Nah. Cuphead doesn't hold a candle to Contra Hard Corps (especially the PAL version) in terms of difficulty. Cuphead is actually pretty darn forgiving by comparison! Though I can see Switch related hardware damage shooting straight up when its released. I just look forward to getting to play it on a handheld next month. Loved it on the Xbox One.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:08 pm

Those looking to complete their arcade Donkey Kong collections will be happy to know that DK3 is coming this week.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... _this_week
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:39 am

Marvel Alliance 3 has a release date set for July 19th. I have high hopes for this one, never actually played the first two games but I did enjoy the similar X-Men Legends games.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:44 am

Also the new Smash update contains new stage builder and video editor modes. Looking forward to having a play with the stage builder, if I find time.

Joker looks good but I'll probably wait for all the DLC to be announced before decided whether to buy any of it.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:10 pm

Virtua Racing arriving next week on the Japanese eShop.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... 6KEeMepGOo
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Virtua Racing is ace. I've been dipping into it this week, unlike the arcade original its 60FPS, looks amazing on the handheld screen.

I've kinda gone on a mini spending spree (again) with Switch this week, getting Virtua Racing, Cuphead, Katana Zero, Konami Arcade Collection (the Japanese one, with the proper difficulty not the insane credit munching difficulty), Donkey Kong (the arcade game) and The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa.

So far I've done a few rounds on DK (its pretty darn timeless, I could play it all day trying to get a better score) and Cuphead - which is an amazing port that looks and plays like a dream on the handheld mode. I've already completed the Xbox One version, so no doubt Ill enjoy doing it all over again.

I've also been playing loads of Phantasy Star and Gain Ground. I've completed GG a few times, got most of the stages down but a couple are still pretty darn hard. Now focusing on PS which I've really been enjoying, even though I'm not a RPG person usually. Gotta say, loving all the retro/indie stuff that's been on Switch lately, I've still got a ton of other stuff to get to!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Started on Civ VI. Only played the tutorial so far, as it took 3 attempts to get through without crashing. Hopefully the main game isn't so buggy as I can see it being a big time sink. Save game every couple of turns should make it easy to drop in and out of between other games too.

Picked up Skyrim while it was in the sale this week too, still to fire that up.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:31 am

I skipped the Civ VI tutorial so can't comment on that, but I don't remember it crashing a lot so you might just have been unlucky. It does suffer from serious slowdown if you leave it running for more than a few hours though, so you might want to get into the habit of saving the game and closing it rather than just suspending.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:32 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:02 pm
Virtua Racing is ace. I've been dipping into it this week, unlike the arcade original its 60FPS, looks amazing on the handheld screen.

Crazy thing is they also added an 8 player local multiplayer using just one screen. Thats insane but quite some dedication for them to try and emulate the arcade experience. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.