Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:34 pm

ALK wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:05 pm
I'm sure we'll see see £5-10 preowned carts eventually. Even the annual stuff like FIFA and WWE from last year are still the £15 mark
If you see how bad they are you see why they are cheap

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:26 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:34 pm
ALK wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:05 pm
I'm sure we'll see see £5-10 preowned carts eventually. Even the annual stuff like FIFA and WWE from last year are still the £15 mark
If you see how bad they are you see why they are cheap
Yeah, but still not in the below £10 mark which I'm sure is where collectors would bite despite how bad those ports are.

Probably not the best example but looking at CeX.
https://uk.webuy.com/search?categoryIds ... tOrder=asc

£12 is so far the cheapest for even garbage like Troll and I.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Theres been loads of cheap stuff in the store. a lot are ports of indie PC/mobile games, but if theyre half decent what does it matter if youve not played them before?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:24 pm

I picked up Puyo Puyo Tetris from Argos and Bayonetta 1&2 from Smyths for £20 each yesterday.

I haven't paid over £35 for any of the Switch games I own yet Mario Odyssey, Mario Tennis, Hyrule Warriors and Mario Vs Rabbids.

If £35 for a new game is too much, punt your Switch on and buy another in a few years when the successor is out.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:58 pm
Theres been loads of cheap stuff in the store. a lot are ports of indie PC/mobile games, but if theyre half decent what does it matter if youve not played them before?
I would get more stuff off the store, but for a lot of titles it works out more expensive

HdE

Post by HdE » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Work's kept me busy, so I've not had a lot of time to cheeck in on the forum. But, with regard to my screen protector issue:
pratty wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:56 pm

I have heard of this but not experienced it myself. Maybe the quality of the protector and how well it's applied determines how much it's at risk of this. Perhaps taking the console out while it was hot caused the problem, with the dock's rubber grips pulling oin the warmed up screen? I've heard of those grips pulling off the plastic film protectors. Could the bubbles not be 'ironed' out the way you would if you got them during the the initial application?

Now you mention it I did notice the other day my Switch was running very hot, probably a combination of the weather and a long Resident Evil Raid Mode session, so I thought it best to give it a rest. I pretty much only use the Switch docked but I'd still like to leave my protector on for my piece of mind.
Thanks, Pratty. It seems like the heat generated by the Switch when docked just dried out the adhesive on my screen protector. I tried ironing out those bubbles, but it only caused more of them to appear. Eventually, I figured 'ah, stuff it' and took the thing off.

Im not really intending to play the Switch undocked, to be honest, so I've not worried bout a replacement. I'll maybe fit a new one when I'm quids in again. But for now, I'm just being careful with it.

MOVING ON...

I see folks are talking about alternatives to the Switch Pro controller. I personally don't think very much of that controller, as I've never been one for rumble or gyro controls. I bought a couple of the Power A wired controllers, though - the black Zelda themed ones with the interchangeable thumbcaps. They're not without issues, but they're very nice controllers. I ended up with two the same because I'd been tempted by the more recent run of Controllers Power A had put out. But they lack those swappable thumbsticks. Seeing as my local GAME had the Zelda controller on offer, I figured it was better to get that and have all the extra bits for spares.

At some point, I'm going to try to put up a video review of these controllers on Youtube. There are plenty of reviews already, but some of them omit some rather important info.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:32 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:21 pm
Mario Tennis is glorious fun! Caveat there was a group of us playing winner stays on doubles last weekend. For about 5 hours solid.

I also started Mario vs Rabbids this week. I'm having a lot of fun with it at the moment, I hear the difficulty ramps up but so far so good.

It's such a great system!

My friends code is: 7576-5340-1519 if anyone wants to add me :)
Here's mine: SW-1351-3087-5724

Won my first online game in simple mode today. It was an absolute thriller, I must have saved 3 or 4 match points. Great fun. :D
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:19 pm

HdE wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:47 pm
I see folks are talking about alternatives to the Switch Pro controller. I personally don't think very much of that controller, as I've never been one for rumble or gyro controls. I bought a couple of the Power A wired controllers, though - the black Zelda themed ones with the interchangeable thumbcaps. They're not without issues, but they're very nice controllers. I ended up with two the same because I'd been tempted by the more recent run of Controllers Power A had put out. But they lack those swappable thumbsticks. Seeing as my local GAME had the Zelda controller on offer, I figured it was better to get that and have all the extra bits for spares.

At some point, I'm going to try to put up a video review of these controllers on Youtube. There are plenty of reviews already, but some of them omit some rather important info.
I'd be interested to see that, I was very tempted by the Link pad but went for the quality reputation of Hori, I'd heard the Power A ones had reliability issues.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:43 pm

For those planning on picking up Sonic Mania Plus physically next week, Base.com has it pretty cheap at £23.95. Others had it listed for up to £29.99.

https://www.base.com/fsearch.htm?search=sonic+mania
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:53 pm

pratty wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:32 pm
The Last Ginja wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:21 pm
Mario Tennis is glorious fun! Caveat there was a group of us playing winner stays on doubles last weekend. For about 5 hours solid.

I also started Mario vs Rabbids this week. I'm having a lot of fun with it at the moment, I hear the difficulty ramps up but so far so good.

It's such a great system!

My friends code is: 7576-5340-1519 if anyone wants to add me :)
Here's mine: SW-1351-3087-5724

Won my first online game in simple mode today. It was an absolute thriller, I must have saved 3 or 4 match points. Great fun. :D
I'll get you added and look forward to getting my arse kicked at Tennis. After which I will delete you ;)

To weigh in on the controllers I bought one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1 last week. It's a great piece of kit and works a treat on the Switch. Can also be used on PC/Raspeberry Pi etc.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:34 pm

I pre ordered Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion and its on the way. Its out tomorrow. Anybody else want this?

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Adventure Time's on my ever growing "modern kid shows that I should check out" list that never shrinks.

My next purchase will probably be the physical version of Xenoblade 2's story DLC.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 am

ALK wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 pm
Adventure Time's on my ever growing "modern kid shows that I should check out" list that never shrinks.

It's a really funny show. There aren't many modern western cartoons that I like but AT is well worth watching. Some of the games are great too...

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:46 am

I bought Yokus Island Express this week.

Man what a game. I played it at Eurogamer last year and was sold on it.

For those that don't know it's a Metroidvania where you play as a dung beetle attached to a a ball of **** by string. You navigate the area by using pinball flippers. As you get around you collect fruit which you use to unlock more flippers to access new areas.

There's npcs all around that give you quests to get more items that will help you on your way and find all the collectibles. So far it hasn't been that difficult but my completion percentage is only 36% so that could all change.

It looks great, the music is really good and matches the atmosphere of each area . It's funny, charming and may just be my favourite game of this year so far.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:12 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:46 am
I bought Yokus Island Express this week.

Man what a game. I played it at Eurogamer last year and was sold on it.

For those that don't know it's a Metroidvania where you play as a dung beetle attached to a a ball of **** by string. You navigate the area by using pinball flippers. As you get around you collect fruit which you use to unlock more flippers to access new areas.

There's npcs all around that give you quests to get more items that will help you on your way and find all the collectibles. So far it hasn't been that difficult but my completion percentage is only 36% so that could all change.

It looks great, the music is really good and matches the atmosphere of each area . It's funny, charming and may just be my favourite game of this year so far.
I've had my eye on this for a while, glad to hear you like it. I've debated getting the physical version, but I figure if I wait I could get it digitally on sale at some point for even less.