Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

greenberet79

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by greenberet79 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Oh great, NES games. It's like I haven't got them all several times over. Very underwhelming.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 08, 2018 4:29 pm

I can't say I'm disappointed as it's just the Nintendo way of doing things. I'd even see the fact that there are as many as two games that aren't on the NES Classic as a plus.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed May 09, 2018 8:20 am

greenberet79 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:07 pm
Oh great, NES games. It's like I haven't got them all several times over. Very underwhelming.
at least theyre making nes games accessable and not forcing people to buy over priced orignal software
This guy are sick

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:18 am

stayAwhile wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:20 am
greenberet79 wrote:
at least theyre making nes games accessable and not forcing people to buy over priced orignal software
This. There are some decent games in there, and they're free with the service to start out with. It could have been a more interesting and varied line up, but at least there's more than a couple and they have some big hitters in there. I'd rather have the Mario All Stars Mario 3, but the NES version is playable enough and Dr Mario is always good.

At least this time they're bundling them in with a service that costs pence and not charging for individual titles as they have so, so, often in the past. They could have just put some garbage on and made us pay for the good stuff over and above the pitiful online fee.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:07 am

Hmmm maybe. Just disappointing after waiting this long for an announcement.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed May 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Donkey Kong TF is such an ace game on the Switch. Kinda glad that I never spent any time with my Wii U, getting to enjoy a lot of games that I really should have played through by now! Level design and music are both top notch, its a nice change from the demanding difficulty on Celeste B and C sides as well!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu May 10, 2018 11:24 am

Monster Hunter XX is finally coming this August under the title MH Generations Ultimate.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... his_august
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu May 10, 2018 12:08 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:18 am
stayAwhile wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:20 am
greenberet79 wrote:
This. There are some decent games in there, and they're free with the service to start out with. It could have been a more interesting and varied line up, but at least there's more than a couple and they have some big hitters in there. I'd rather have the Mario All Stars Mario 3, but the NES version is playable enough and Dr Mario is always good.

At least this time they're bundling them in with a service that costs pence and not charging for individual titles as they have so, so, often in the past. They could have just put some garbage on and made us pay for the good stuff over and above the pitiful online fee.
I recently rediscovered super mario advance which is a great remake of SMB2(usa)
This guy are sick

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat May 12, 2018 12:36 pm

No issues with the online news, seems pretty standard, not a wowing as it might have been but seems fair for the price.

As for the NES games specifically, not everyone is a retro gamer/collector like ourselves, I'm pretty confident we're a small minority among the general gaming consumers so a lot of people won't own or have even played these games before. And even for the likes of us there is always the convenience of having these games on the go and on current HD TV compatible hardware, that isn't gathering dust in our lofts like much of our retro gear might be. Not to mention the online implementations.
ALK wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:24 am
Monster Hunter XX is finally coming this August under the title MH Generations Ultimate.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... his_august
I'll probably give it a miss personally but I'm glad it's coming.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun May 27, 2018 4:42 am

Switch has had a great week for me... So much platformer related goodness on the go: Mega Man Legacy Collections 1 and 2 (all 10 main MM games), Bloodstained (the 8 bit version), N++ and Bit Trip Runner 3. I've only been playing the first Mega Man game again though, its so good to have for those random 10 minute periods when I need a quick MM fix.
Oh, and if you've not got it yet, Celeste is absolutely amazing (especially on the Switch). So that's another platformer well worth your time.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Some Pokemon games have been revealed for the Switch.

First is Pokemon Quest, which looks to be in a similar vain to Pokemon Rumble. Free to start and available to download right now.

The much rumored Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu and Lets Go Eevee games are true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jRtpMKLsts

Its a cross between the RPG series and Pokemon Go. Based off Pokemon Yellow, you explore the Kanto region once again. The game is playable with 1 joycon, you can simulate throwing a Pokeball to catch Pokemon with the joycon, two players can play together, hooks up to Pokemon Go, and has a Pokeball device much like the Pokewalker where you can take a Pokemon out with you and even use it as a controller. Release date of November 16th.

Also confirmed is a New main entry in the main RPG series coming the second half of new year, assuming the 8th generation of new Pokemon.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:04 am

Picked up Ikaruga for the third time last night. Always good for a blast, and works well in portrait mode (though I've not figured out if I can play with joycons attached that way, directions were wrong when I selected it first).

Aqua Kitty was only a few quid too, so picked that up again.

Saw there was a free game for download too.

FIFA is down to about £18 now as a promotional offer, which seems quite reasonable.

Things are looking much better for Switch now over the last 6 months.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:30 am

Did anyone try the Mario Tennis Aces demo? Have to say I was pleasantly surprised, it seems like a real return to form for the franchise. I really enjoyed it.

The demo did its job on me as I've now pre-ordered the game.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:42 am

I did, and I think I'll be getting it too.

I played 10 online matches and only won 2. :lol: But I did enjoy the gameplay. Hopefully Nintendo pack the game full of content as I'm not sure how much I'll play online.

I have a feeling Nintendo has high hopes for this title and want it to sit alongside Splatoon just behind Mario Kart and eventually Smash Bros as one of it's top multiplayer/online draws. I'm expecting to see free and paid DLC.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:42 am

Well Nintendo look a bit screwed. Team Xecuter's Switch dongle comes out in a couple of weeks and will run everything and can't be blocked by firmware updates. Eek!