Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:44 pm
I'm probably going to sell my Switch. For me it's been a bit of a disappointment. Will hold on for E3, just to see if anything good is coming but for me it's too uncomfortable as a handheld, too ugly on my 4K telly when docked, the games are too pricey and I've got better options elsewhere.
Yeah, it's definitely one of my most disappointing purchases. I can't honestly remember the last time I played on it. Whenever I look at the shop it's games I played years ago or stuff that just doesn't interest me at all. When I do eventually find something vaguely interesting it's just so expensive it puts me off completely.

On my Xbox I can pick up AAA games in the sale for like £4, a world of difference.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:57 pm

I really like the Wii U & still get quite a bit of play out of it.

The Switch seems to have been pretty popular in comparison, but I've seen nothing bar a small handful of slightly enhanced/updated versions of games to convince me to get a Switch.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:26 pm

I love mine, i use it more than any other console.
Playing Splatoon 2 on it at the moment and it is awesome.
I agree that it is not comfortable in handheld mode, i bought the below and it has transformed it, only £10
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orzly-Comfor ... SwDEtaPSsB

Paul

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:40 am

I've said this a few times, but by making it a hybrid machine they've had to accept a lot of compromises that mean it can't simply have the best of both worlds. If nothing else, it couldn't be both a massive visual step up from the Wii U and capable of running on battery power.

In terms of portability I think it's it's OK. It's not as handy as the 3DS where you can just fold it up and stick it in your pocket, but it's not giving away that much to a machine like the Vita or one of the small tablet like an iPad Mini. It feels close to perfect for a long haul flight though, especially these days when you've got AC power on practically every seat and don't need to worry about the battery flaking out.

So far as playing games on the TV goes, I'd think that a lot of the first party ones hold up very well. I'd even go so far as to say that Mario and Zelda look great - more than making up for the technical limitations of the console with artistic flare - but third party games are typically giving a lot away. I don't think the lack of 4K output comes into it much though, you'd barely notice the difference unless your eyesight is exceptionally keen or you have a truly enormous set. The problem is that the Switch struggles even to render a lot of games even at 1080p and has to give up a lot of detail to keep frame rates acceptable. There's really not much point in buying such games for it unless you're intending to play them in handheld mode a lot or have literally nothing else to play them on.

As for the prices, come on; it's only a year old. Those who think that the XB1, PS4 and pretty much every successful console ever weren't similarly bereft of bargain at the same point, and were similarly getting full priced ports of older games too, have pretty short memories. Things ought to get a bit better over time with that at least.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:34 pm

On the prices topic, I was in the camp of "everything's so highly priced" last year, but lately ever since weekly sales have been a thing, I have been seeing and buying games that have been as low as £2-3. Is it mindblowing stuff, probably not (Still need that Micro SD Card, thank Bayonetta. :lol: ) but then, outside of the first week and charts download games don't get showcased that much on the eShop unless you search for it and know what you're looking for. If its on offer then yes, you can find it easily on the eShop under offers, so until Nintendo solve this, I think we're going to see quite a few developers put their games on offer for that attention. Few bucks savings maybe, but the older the game gets, the more the price should come down over time. We just have to be patient for when a game we are interested in is at a more desired price. And heck, should mean seasonal Sales will start to get more interesting as well as time goes on.

And then there's the Gold Coins. Thanks to buying some of these cheap sale games over all 3 systems, my Gold Coin stash is now sitting on 600+ coins. If I wanted, I could go choose a Neo Geo game for just about free (Probably save up till I get one of the season passes at a more desirable price) but the bonus is getting the same coin value as the game was full price. Just now for example, brought a game that was £14 now down to about £2-ish and got 14 Gold Coins (Every pound spent nets you 1 gold coin). Now the value of those 14 coins only means a 14p discount, but again I have built it up and up with purchases from Switch, 3DS and Wii U which has lead to me obtaining as much as a £6 discount from my 600 coins to redeem on anything on the Switch eShop. Its certainly made buying Wii U shovalware more tempting as developers are getting desperate to squeeze a few more quick bucks on the dead system, what with buying games that used to be a £10+ value reduced to £1-ish and getting lots of Gold coins. ;) Plus with Plat coins getting me discounts on Virtual Console games every month, even more things to raise my Gold Coins.

Again, we're only pasted the first year of the system recently but its slowly getting better to grab some cheap titles.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:51 pm

Continuing the trend of not waiting for the eventual Virtual Console, SEGA will be introducing a SEGA Ages line of their classic games for Switch this Summer. Over 15 games will be released, including the likes of Sonic 1, Phantasy Star and Thunder Force IV, and handle by M2, the same guys behind those lovely 3DS SEGA ports.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news ... ummer-2018
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:58 am

Make a mini Megadrive
Also make a MegaDrive collection

Its getting a bit crap with all these Megadrive things,

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Well, least Phantasy Star shows it won't all be MD on Switch.....just most. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:28 am

The most I've paid for a new (as in bought new, sealed etc ) physical release is £42. It's a little more than I was accustomed to paying for new Wii DS, 3DS and Wii U titles but it's not bank breaking not really much different to the RRP of AAA games on the other consoles at launch. The digital offerings are generally much less and with the sales you can get many quality games for under £15, and even under £10.

Personally I'm not too fussed about 1080p, nevermind 4K, 720p looks just fine to me, though my TV isn't massive. I wouldn't reject the Switch in favour of the PS4 or Xbox One over graphics because the Switch exclusives are important to me, playing whatever happens to be exclusive on those systems isn't an adequate substitute for the specific games I want to play on the Switch.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:16 pm

Gain Ground and Alex Kidd added to the SEGA Ages range.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ct/.130391

UPDATE

Apparently the range will include Saturn and Dreamcast games down the line.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... mes_coming
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:48 am

I think different games lend themselves better and worse to handheld and TV. I've been playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 on the TV (which i'm really enjoying) and Mario Kart in handheld mode. The Switch is everything I want in a console.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:22 am

I've been playing the first Resident Evil: Revelations. It's ok, a lot of empty corridors with not a lot going on, feels a bit unfinished there's so little to see and do so far. I'll plough on with it.

Got Mario Odyssey yesterday. Loving that so far in the couple of hours I had. After the aimless wandering of Zelda and the dark corridors of RE, it's a wonderful, bright, fun experience.

One question on it though. I fancy using the pro controller with it, but it seems some of the moves are only accessible via motion control. Am I right? Are some things not possible with pro controller?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:31 pm

The whole game is playable with the Pro Controller, having beaten the story with one. It's more a choice of preference unlike the days of the Wii (Even if every time you start up the game, they keep trying to recommend trying the motion controls. :lol: )

Heck, even ARMs can be played with a Pro Controller.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Playable, yes. But are ALL of the moves available? There doesn't seem to be a way to activate the hat spinny around you move without motion control (which isn't 100% reliable and has lost me some lives)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:59 pm

pratty wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:28 am

Personally I'm not too fussed about 1080p, nevermind 4K, 720p looks just fine to me, though my TV isn't massive. I wouldn't reject the Switch in favour of the PS4 or Xbox One over graphics because the Switch exclusives are important to me, playing whatever happens to be exclusive on those systems isn't an adequate substitute for the specific games I want to play on the Switch.
I do get what you're saying but for me two or three decent exclusives aren't good enough for me to want to miss out on all the games the Switch doesn't get. And for the few cross-platform full retail games it does get, I for sure don't want to play them with worse graphics, worse controls (admittedly I've not bought a Pro Controller but then I shouldn't have to),fiddly online support and no trophies/achievements. Most likely for more money too.

Right now the Switch is close to losing its HDMI slot on my telly becase I want to play HOTD Overkill on the PS3.