Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:22 pm

Probably been answered but

Are there any bigger Switch controllers, I have trouble with the small stick and buttons

DAMN MY MANLY HANDS!!

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Have you tried the Pro Controller?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Fire Emblem Warriors has been dated for October 20th (A week before Mario) and will also have a limited edition. A bare one, but a limited edition none the less.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... _in_europe
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:43 pm

L.A Noire has been confirmed for this year on Switch, as well as "HD Remastered" for the PS4/XBONE as well.

I guess GTA V just got even more likely.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:43 pm

A new Nintendo Direct's coming this Wednesday at 11pm, and its a big 45 min one. ;)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:10 am

Won't that just be the start of the Mario promotion? Great that it's finally on its way, but I don't imagine much else being discussed given the state of things this far.

Out of curiosity, is anyone still putting much time into that ropey boxing game?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:32 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:10 am
Won't that just be the start of the Mario promotion? Great that it's finally on its way, but I don't imagine much else being discussed given the state of things this far.

Out of curiosity, is anyone still putting much time into that ropey boxing game?
A part of it, but they do need to give Xenoblade 2 a date, whether its coming this year or being delayed into next year, provide more details about Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (Which have been lacking considering they're out in 2 months) and maybe even date some stuff for early next year since we don't have any dates for anything December onwards. Heck, maybe even talk more about that Subscription Service and other features to add to Switch like the promised video clip sharing, actual Apps, and maybe even that Virtual Console too. And that's not including any new games reveals or even a port or 2 like Smash 4.

I did stop playing ARMs for a bit due to TV troubles and Splatoon 2 taking my time away, but I intend to return to it to check out the new characters added very soon.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:54 am

We've got Doom and Wolfenstein II to look forward to now.

I'm not that surprised given that Doom can be made to run on potato PCs and even the GPD Win, but it's nice to see the Switch getting some more third party AAA games.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:51 am

Wolfenstein needs a "Super" mode, it takes out all the 18+ content and Hitler mentions

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:54 am
We've got Doom and Wolfenstein II to look forward to now.

I'm not that surprised given that Doom can be made to run on potato PCs and even the GPD Win, but it's nice to see the Switch getting some more third party AAA games.
Well, looks like I have to "eat my words", as I didn't think they'd port it over, yet here we are... :wink:

To be fair, a Switch port makes more sense than a iPad port - the Switch actually has support for modern feature sets and APIs like Vulkan so it's more likely to run a scaled-down port of Doom than some feature-outdated device.

Even though that "potato PC" argument is a bit "there" - the PC version of the game behaves strange on a lot of hardware from what I read, from running sluggish on top PC with i7s and GTX 1070+ cards to running playlably on PCs that don't even meet the requirements such as a stock AMD A10 line APU. It's very "all over the place" so the optimization claim is a matter of view.

But for sure, a bit reduced port (probably using FP16 on Switch and low res mode with some FXAA, as well as reduced textures and pre-baked lighting) should work on it decently.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:10 am

I'd think that it was always a case of the publishers thinking it worth their while. No doubt they were initially quite reticent based on their experiences with the Wii U, but now that it's picking up some sales momentum they're keener to test the waters, hence the ports of games like Doom and L. A. Noire. If they sell well, we're bound to see others, and it that could potentially change the current picture of it mostly getting first party games plus indies.

While there will inevitably be some games where the Switch is genuinely underpowered for, there probably aren't that many of them based on how many PC ports get low settings that'll work on integrated GPUs.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:30 am

Is it me or have Bethesda missed a trick with the Switch version of Skyrim? They should have added a total 3rd person solution to the game. I've played Skyrim on PS3 and enjoyed it but I'm not sure I'll pay to play it on Switch. Had they made it into a 3rd person game, I think I would have been swayed. Not like they haven't got the resources to do whatever they want... Also - Fallout Switch. Where is it?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:16 am

They're already taking enough of a gamble in putting three big name titles out for it so they'll be looking to see how well they sell before committing to anything else. If all goes to plan we may see a Fallout next year though, as it would seem that the hardware is up to the job.

As for new features, I'd guess that the main selling point of all these ports will be the ability to play the games on the go. I wouldn't be expecting much on top of that, to be honest.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:12 am

Pretty incredible thing to do...
https://kotaku.com/hackers-say-nintendo ... 1818587767

Looking down the comments, some other reports say that it is also a Japanese charm thing - whereby the spirit of Iwata is looking over every Switch helping to make the console a success but also happiness for each user....... <3

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Really good news about Doom. I don't own a PS4 or XBO and my main gaming PC is getting a bit long in the tooth so this means I'll finally be able to play it!

Bethesda really do seem to be the first third-party to go 'all in' on Switch. Ubisoft apparently have a decent hit on their hands with Mario & Rabbids, so hopefully they'll be next. AC Origins is perhaps a bit much to expect but maybe something like a compilation of older titles that originally skipped Nintendo hardware? A fully featured port of AC2 that can be played on the bus sounds pretty cool.

As for GTAV... I think that it's looking more likely by the day. Though given the size of the game the cart is likely to just contain a link to where you download the game!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360