Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:24 pm

I think the excitement over Metroid Prime has to be tempered with the fact that it's not being developed by Retro. Much though I'd hope it's going to be good, it's at the back of my mind that Nintendo can be a bit hit and miss when they farm out their franchises to third parties.

As for F-Zero, I'd reckon that with the Switch only just getting a Mario Kart it was never going to happen this year. Maybe next year though; you can live in hope.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:27 am

Metroid Prime 4 you say.

I'm planning on eventually getting a Switch anyway but this and BOTW has definitely 100% sealed it for me.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:43 am

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:24 pm
I think the excitement over Metroid Prime has to be tempered with the fact that it's not being developed by Retro. Much though I'd hope it's going to be good, it's at the back of my mind that Nintendo can be a bit hit and miss when they farm out their franchises to third parties.

As for F-Zero, I'd reckon that with the Switch only just getting a Mario Kart it was never going to happen this year. Maybe next year though; you can live in hope.
Yeah I have to admit I'm a lot less excited now I've heard it's by the federation force guy.
The 2D one by MercurySteam looks pretty solid though and it did a good job with its side-on castlevania.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:26 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:25 pm
I do wish its screen was bigger, I'm used to 10 inches in my hand, so it seems a little small.
WAY HAY!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:38 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:12 pm
Well, they aren't masters of the Craft for nothing when it comes to platformers. Although we will see if this will re-capture some of the master work that Mario 64 was.
They already did with Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:05 pm

The Super Mario Galaxy games are my favorite games of all time. :P
Almost Flawlessly brilliant imo. If I could score out of 100, I would give both games 98 percent.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:55 am

Switch is having a good E3, with plenty of first-party games and great indie stuff like Rocket League being announced. Ubisoft seem to be quite supportive too, with Mario x Rabbids, Rayman, Steep and... er... Just Dance all getting confirmed.

Still nothing much from the other big publishers, though. Maybe the success of the machine has just caught them on the hop but they don't seem interested. Which is disappointing as the machine supports UE4 and is, I'm assured, capable of supporting Frostbite. Slightly graphically downgraded ports of other formats games should be easy to do, the guys who made Snake Pass apparently had the Switch version up and running in a matter of days.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:55 am

So what is the full list of Switch games announced?

Not loving the idea of Rabbids, the Wii games were 5 minute wonders. Rayman might be ok. Steep might be up my alley though. Just Dance might get a bargain bin buy, depends on the track list. I'm not averse to jumping around, its all good exercise at my age.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:56 am

killbot wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:55 am
Still nothing much from the other big publishers, though. Maybe the success of the machine has just caught them on the hop but they don't seem interested. Which is disappointing as the machine supports UE4 and is, I'm assured, capable of supporting Frostbite. Slightly graphically downgraded ports of other formats games should be easy to do, the guys who made Snake Pass apparently had the Switch version up and running in a matter of days.
Yeah. Everyone is excited about Fifa, but let's face it, Fifa was also on Wii U before EA pulled the plug.
I wouldn't be surprised if most publishers have been keeping their distance and waiting to see how the first year plays out. Ironically, that's the very thing that could cause the system trouble.
Still, Nintendo seems to have a great selection of games so it's certainly not doom and gloom.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:06 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:55 am
So what is the full list of Switch games announced?
This is most of the bigger stuff.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kirby game
Metroid Prime 4
Yoshi’s Woolly World sequel
Pokemon tournament deluxe
Pokemon (new core game)
Fire Emblem Warriors
Fire Emblem game
Kingdom Battle
Splatoon 2
Rocket League
Skyrim
Super Mario Odyssey
Rayman Legends
Just Dance
Monopoly
Steep
Fifa 18
Blazblue (new game)
NBA 2K18
Namco Museum
Tales series (new game)
Monster Hunter XX
New shin megami tensai game
Sonic mania
Sonic forces
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Payday 2
Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:20 am

A few decent ones in there. I missed Woolly World, liked its aesthetic, so that's interesting. Metroid I'm unsure aboout, since I've got mixed feelings on the Prime games. I enjoy them, but the difficulty spikes and repetition on the boss battles does my head in to the point I just bail out. Needs an easy mode or I'll never see half the game. Payday 2 is an odd choice, but glad its in there and hope it does well, may encourage more serious/adult themed games which Switch sorely lacks.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:33 am

Apparently there was an interview with Yves at Ubisoft that said all their mature games tanked on the Wii U, which is the main reason why they haven't done any for Switch.
I do wonder if this will occupy a role where gamers have a ps4/xbox one for their main console and this as a less powerful, but quirkier variant.

I've not been tempted to pick one up yet, but I might if some good deals appear over Christmas.

OldLou

Post by OldLou » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:41 am

I'll be getting a Switch regardless, maybe a pair so that we don't have to share. :wink:
Seems like what I've always wanted - a massive handheld/gaming tablet/console hybrid.

It's too bad that the 'wii u' controller can't be utilized in a similar fashion. (A friend of mine snidely refers to it as the "tea tray", heh.) I mean to say, 'hacked' in some way so that it accepts roms and can be used away from the console.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:19 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:33 am
Apparently there was an interview with Yves at Ubisoft that said all their mature games tanked on the Wii U, which is the main reason why they haven't done any for Switch.
I do wonder if this will occupy a role where gamers have a ps4/xbox one for their main console and this as a less powerful, but quirkier variant.

I've not been tempted to pick one up yet, but I might if some good deals appear over Christmas.
Switch is a different ballpark with its portability though. How did their other portable games fare? Its a better comparison than home consoles. I can't lay XBone/PS4 on the go.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:34 am

I think the 3DS has sold well, although nowhere near as strong as the DS.