Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK Temp
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ALK Temp » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Certainly looking better then what I was expecting.

Interestingly enough, the Switch Servers will be down for maintenance tonight from 1am for 9 hours. Guess we can expect some kind of feature reveal tomorrow....

User avatar
Nikolai
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Nikolai » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:46 am

sscott wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:38 am
The Beans wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:32 am
The FIFA 18 trailer currently has game sites tripping over themselves to point out the Switch version is minus the story mode and runs on its own engine instead of Frostbite.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me but are people still thinking the Switch is going to get directly comparable ports from machines that have more power and come with a fully integrated online service?
The Switch is a handheld first and foremost. I'd have thought having a decent FIFA to play on the go would be pretty snazzy for the Nintendo fans.
Interesting you said the switch is primarily a handheld device. We have yet to take it out if the dock! If they have FIFA fine but we have it mainly for first part exclusives as we have the other two systems already.
Heh. We have yet to take it INTO the dock.
:lol:

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26630
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Nikolai wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:46 am
sscott wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:38 am
The Beans wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:32 am
The FIFA 18 trailer currently has game sites tripping over themselves to point out the Switch version is minus the story mode and runs on its own engine instead of Frostbite.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me but are people still thinking the Switch is going to get directly comparable ports from machines that have more power and come with a fully integrated online service?
The Switch is a handheld first and foremost. I'd have thought having a decent FIFA to play on the go would be pretty snazzy for the Nintendo fans.
Interesting you said the switch is primarily a handheld device. We have yet to take it out if the dock! If they have FIFA fine but we have it mainly for first part exclusives as we have the other two systems already.
Heh. We have yet to take it INTO the dock.
:lol:
Well I'm doing both. Handheld at lunchtimes or other times it suits, but on the big telly when I get a chance. I think of it as a handheld with big screen capabilities. I do wish its screen was bigger, I'm used to 10 inches in my hand, so it seems a little small. I could see me going for an XL variant since it isn't pocket sized anyway.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6738
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Nintendo's E3 was pretty solid.
Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Mario, Kirby, Metroid Prime. Pretty solid.
Image

User avatar
Analog
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Analog » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:47 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:31 pm
Metroid Prime
this is huge! I think they might have just won e3 by announcing that. also love it or hate it, rocket league on switch is a big deal for those that are into it.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6738
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:52 pm

They certainly appear to be doing a better job of attracting third party publishers this time around.
Yes they make the same games all the time, but there appears to be more creativity in that mario video than any other similar current platformer I can think of.
Image

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Analog wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:47 pm
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:31 pm
Metroid Prime
this is huge! I think they might have just won e3 by announcing that. also love it or hate it, rocket league on switch is a big deal for those that are into it.
Metroid Prime 4 is indeed a pretty big deal, but there's still no sight of F-Zero whatsoever. Although I do think they'll do something in this regard this gen, there's too much demand out there to ignore it.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:52 pm
They certainly appear to be doing a better job of attracting third party publishers this time around.
Yes they make the same games all the time, but there appears to be more creativity in that mario video than any other similar current platformer I can think of.
Well, they aren't masters of the Craft for nothing when it comes to platformers. Although we will see if this will re-capture some of the master work that Mario 64 was.

ALK Temp
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ALK Temp » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Analog wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:47 pm
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:31 pm
Metroid Prime
this is huge! I think they might have just won e3 by announcing that. also love it or hate it, rocket league on switch is a big deal for those that are into it.
Guess they've now won it twice because they just revealed a new 2D Metroid for 3DS on the Treehouse Show that's coming out in 3 months! :lol:

User avatar
Analog
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Analog » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:52 pm
They certainly appear to be doing a better job of attracting third party publishers this time around.
Yes they make the same games all the time, but there appears to be more creativity in that mario video than any other similar current platformer I can think of.
the more I see of odyssey the more I like it! it's like its constantly surprising me with interesting new ideas.
outdated_gamer wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Metroid Prime 4 is indeed a pretty big deal, but there's still no sight of F-Zero whatsoever. Although I do think they'll do something in this regard this gen, there's too much demand out there to ignore it.
ALK Temp wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:38 pm
Guess they've now won it twice because they just revealed a new 2D Metroid for 3DS on the Treehouse Show that's coming out in 3 months! :lol:
yea I was thinking before e3 if they manage to show or announce both a new 2d and prime game from the metroid series then this will be a homerun for nintendo, and we get both.

regarding f-zero, that would be great but I don't know if or when it will happen. I think mk is almost like their main racing series now, I think if nintendo brought f-zero back they would want to do something new with the series.

User avatar
Bluce_Ree
Posts: 1063
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 6:50 am

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Analog wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:47 pm
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:31 pm
Metroid Prime
this is huge! I think they might have just won e3 by announcing that.
To be fair, they could have announced a Switch exclusive Mindjack 2 and their fans would say they'd won E3. That said, it was there for the taking. Sony et al pretty much all announced hack and slash games set in deserts with the occasional war 'em up to keep the casuals happy.
Image

User avatar
Havantgottaclue
Posts: 2668
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Usually on a train

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Metroid Prime 4 met with an air punch from me. I'm sure it's a long way off, but at least it is coming. Now, in the meantime, perhaps an HD remaster of MP1-3 would tide us over?

Have to say, Super Mario Odyssey looked really interesting too. That'll be a day one purchase for me - even though I'm not actually a big fan of Mario games.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24356
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:52 pm

They seem to be getting the games people want, thats a good thing

The new Mario looks interesting

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6738
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:02 pm

It does seem astonishing that Nintendo has left the f-zero franchise to rot. They've had a great show though, with lots of great looking games. The remake of Mario and Luigi looks pretty special as well.
Image

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24356
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:02 pm
It does seem astonishing that Nintendo has left the f-zero franchise to rot. They've had a great show though, with lots of great looking games. The remake of Mario and Luigi looks pretty special as well.
They cant go all out right in the first year

They need to drip feed people things

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Rayne » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:10 pm

Their presentation certainly was promising, there'll be no shortage of games to play on Switch anytime soon!

The biggest news for me was the confirmation that the next main Pokemon RPG will be on Switch, I can hardly wait for it :mrgreen: . Can't wait to hear more about Metroid Prime 4 either!
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rtrgrl78 and 2 guests