Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Beans

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by The Beans » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:51 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:23 am

There's so little in the store, I was looking at buying some Neo Geo games. Just over £6 even for one of those though, when on the same day GoG was selling some of them for a quid, with bundles for less than the price of 1 game on Switch.
Neo Geo games are around the £6 mark on the One and PS4 tbh. Metal Slug 2 appeared the other day on Xbox One and it's £6.39. It's £5.79 on the PS4. So it's not so much a Nintendo gouge as just the way it is on consoles. You're probably more likely to see them on sale at some point on Sony and Microsoft's machines though.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:33 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:23 am
What gets me is the stinginess with the NES stuff even. 3 games announced. Most of the decent NES games have been available on hundreds of knock off NES-on-a-chip devices for a decade or so, to the point you don't even see that many of them around any more. There was a time just a few years back where you could walk into high street stores and buy something with 100 of them on for under 20 quid.

Not many demos of new games available to try either. I found that disappointing. Not even a rental option to try them for a day for a quid or two.

There's so little in the store, I was looking at buying some Neo Geo games. Just over £6 even for one of those though, when on the same day GoG was selling some of them for a quid, with bundles for less than the price of 1 game on Switch.

I fear if I have to go back to the doctor for a further rectal examination, they'll find something Nintendo up there I'm being reamed so badly.
Yeah, Nintendo seem to have this massive blindspot when it comes to online services and content.

thought thet had learnt a lesson when they did DLC for marikart 8 on the WiiU, but it seems like that was a one off and they are carrying on offering overpriced content and crappy online services.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:32 am

At the end of the day, it's only £20. I'm thankfully in a position where I can afford that without worrying too much, though whether or not I sign up will depend on the quality of online titles available. At this stage, it looks like I'll be paying 20 quid a year for the privilege of playing Splatoon 2...

At least they caved with the access to NES games, remember when it was first announced they were going to give you just one a month, playable for only one month. While I like the idea of the library, I really hope this isn't going to be some pseudo replacement for a proper Virtual Console.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:47 am

I fully expect this to be some sort of translation error, and the price to be £20 per month. £20 per year just seems too cheap compared to other consoles.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:10 am

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Swi ... 83143.html

20 Euros for a year, so probably the £18 mark for us.

It does sound like this is all they have to announce at the moment, there's still many questions like is there going to be a traditional Virtual Console to buy games without a Membership or just for keeps (And if so, will owning those games on past systems like Wii U and 3DS come into play?), what about 3rd party classic games and consoles like Turbografx, what other consoles will this service extend to, etc. and considering its at least 6 months till it launches, it's a little too early to full judge.

But from the sounds of it, at least they won't just be dumping the Roms on without much if any work but adding online features to them, which I would imagine that would also include some work to make the games look great on a HDTV (Instead of darker like on Wii U). And hey, I'd be up for online multiplayer for games and I would guess online leaderboards so you can race through the likes of Super Mario Bros to try beat friends' best completion time and so on.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:18 am
They're holding back the good stuff, all we're getting free is a few NES games
Nintendo wrote:At launch the classic game library will include NES games. Super NES games continue to be under consideration
I find it funny that SNES games are described as "under consideration". What is there to consider about re-releasing the stuff that people want most of all (and will pay for!).

If people still want things like Gamecube games to be re-released then they've got a long wait if Nintendo is like this with old NES and SNES stuff.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:52 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:18 am
They're holding back the good stuff, all we're getting free is a few NES games
Nintendo wrote:At launch the classic game library will include NES games. Super NES games continue to be under consideration
I find it funny that SNES games are described as "under consideration". What is there to consider about re-releasing the stuff that people want most of all (and will pay for!).

If people still want things like Gamecube games to be re-released then they've got a long wait if Nintendo is like this with old NES and SNES stuff.
It is annoying. You're sat there thinking at long last Nintendo have managed to get a fair few things right for once but trip themselves up by failing at the same thing over and over again.

They have so much good stuff on previous consoles they could release its unreal. Especially the snes and adding online play etc to them etc...
Last edited by silvergunner on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:31 am

silvergunner wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:42 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:52 pm

It is annoying. You're sat there think long Nintendo have managed to get a fair few things right for once but trip themselves up by failing at the same thing over and over again.

They have so much good stuff on previous consoles they could release its unreal. Especially the snes and adding online play etc to them etc...
Same goes for just about every platform holder and publisher though. So many old games that people might want to play, so many excellent IPs ... and they never see the commercial light of day. They probably never will.
I agree that Nintendo will never release a huge amount of subscription and free stuff like SNES games etc. They massively overvalue their IP too much to ever do it and feel comfortable.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:06 am

I'm not sure if £20 is or isn't a fair price for the online component. It may well be. I don't know how much that sort of infrastructure will cost Nintendo to run.

But for half the price of PS+, what you're getting seems a bit thin.

If done right the idea of getting access to lots of SNES stuff seems okay but I've got a Pi right there under my telly. I've got various other devices in this room that can play SNES stuff including my 3DS. The idea of online play on those games is good but honestly who is going to really do that? I mean I can barely pull together online sessions of games on the PS4 these days. Especially for the indie stuff. You really think you'll get players on Balloon Fight or whatever? Especially if you've got to go through that awful sounding phone app configuration.

To make this work they need to have something like a Mario Kart on there from day 1. They need to open it up to GBA stuff (the Switch is kind of a handheld after all) and N64 stuff. And it wouldn't hurt to throw some actual modern indie games in now and again. For £20 that'd seem fair.

I'm betting Nintendo find a way to balls it all up though.

Will be interesting to see who re-ups after the first year. I'm guessing the numbers will be horrible unless Nintendo really think this through.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:26 pm

Our Switch is constantly dropping its internet connection. Other devices in room never do. Common issue apparently and only fixed by full reset.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:16 pm

You know what will sell the switch for me?
Capcom Vs SNK 2 - With extra crispy graphics.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:37 pm

Ryan GH wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:16 pm
You know what will sell the switch for me?
Capcom Vs SNK 2 - With extra crispy graphics.
Yes please. If SF2 and the Vita has taught me anything is that I love fighters like this on the go. So a port of CVS2 would rock.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:20 pm

Finally had a go of the Arms Test Demo and after an hour of matches, I'm really looking forward to the full release even more. Ton of fun to play. Yeah there are some similarities to Wii Boxing, but they'd added a level of strategy this time with throws, dashing, jumping, super moves and of course, the different Arms you can put on each hand. The controls were very responsive and didnt take too long to get used to. No idea what using a Pro Controller was like but honestly, I think this is a game I'm going to use the Joycons with all the time. A good number of different match types as well like the Hoops, break the targets and even a 3 Vs 1 Buffy CPU mode I did not know about.

Not to mention a fair workout for my own arms, my hands are fairly sweaty. :lol: Reckon this has a good chance of being Nintendo's next Splatoon-sized hit.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:28 pm

ALK Temp wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:20 pm
Finally had a go of the Arms Test Demo and after an hour of matches, I'm really looking forward to the full release even more. Ton of fun to play. Yeah there are some similarities to Wii Boxing, but they'd added a level of strategy this time with throws, dashing, jumping, super moves and of course, the different Arms you can put on each hand. The controls were very responsive and didnt take too long to get used to. No idea what using a Pro Controller was like but honestly, I think this is a game I'm going to use the Joycons with all the time. A good number of different match types as well like the Hoops, break the targets and even a 3 Vs 1 Buffy CPU mode I did not know about.

Not to mention a fair workout for my own arms, my hands are fairly sweaty. :lol: Reckon this has a good chance of being Nintendo's next Splatoon-sized hit.
Anyone else think the control method for ARMS is perfect for a new VIRTUAL ON game from SEGA

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Could happen. SEGA's meant to be reviving some old IPs from now through to 2020. Maybe Arms will give them that idea? :lol: