Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK Temp

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ALK Temp » Tue May 30, 2017 1:16 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:27 pm
Hope the do a console Streetfighter bundle.

Not gonna lie, A switch console with streetfighter artwork plastered all over it is probably the push that i need to get one.
Probably unlikely as the only console bundles we have so far are Splatoon, a Mario Kart one that's a Russian exclusive for some reason, and a limited edition for Monster Hunter XX (Which is just a few designs on a regular Dock for some reason.).

VirtuaMuser

Post by VirtuaMuser » Tue May 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:15 pm
I'm still shocked that Violent Ken is even a character in the game since the only other fighting game he's been in was an SNK game (SVC Chaos) and not a Capcom Street Fighter.

Ultra is definitely a Switch game I'd like to play but with the fact that the original Super Turbo is still awesome and that HD Remix's sprites/music didn't really impress me too much (I did enjoy the game overall, mind), it would have to be cheap!
If it helps they redid the music for Ultra!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Tried one properly today, Yeah I am sold.

tried a workmates today, and its only when you try it you realise a few things, and one thing in particular was a revelation to me.

Now I am not a handheld fan, never really enjoyed them, never comfortable playing them, just not something I can do at length.

The switch however, used the kickstand and popped it on my desk, unclipped a joycon and next thing you know I am sitting there with my feet up, nice and comfortable, subway, drink and cookie next to me and had a blast playing mariokart and streetfighter.

will never use it as an actual handheld, but relaxing using the kickstand was a lot of fun and in fact I did not want to stop. especially when anyone walking in can just grab a seat pass them the other joycon and next thing you know you are playing mariokart and winner stops on on Streetfighter.

Yeah, will be picking one up soon.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue May 30, 2017 11:49 pm

On Ultra SFII:
Since my friend owns a copy, I had the chance to try it to see what the controls are like. Pleasantly surprised, as both D Pad and analogue stick controls are leagues better than what I expected - Zangief and Ken for example are super easy to use even with their dragon punch and SPD command inputs. New announcer is horrid though, hats off to Capcom - they found the one person in the world that is actually MORE annoying than the original Super SFII announcer :lol:

Definitely going to pick this up - it getting a physical release tickles my Capcom collecting side, and its the perfect portable game for me just for arcade mode alone. Won't be touching online though, the thought of fighting dozens of Kens and Ryus per every other character is not something I'll put myself through again (I've got Street Fighter V for that!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed May 31, 2017 9:20 am

It's £35 though. Bloody steep that.
Finally, finally picked up Mario Kart 8 deluxe yesterday and the kids were on 2 player mode all night. The missus beat me on a march this morning which I'll never live down. We haven't tried the revamped battle mode yet.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed May 31, 2017 6:20 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 7:38 pm
Tried one properly today, Yeah I am sold.

tried a workmates today, and its only when you try it you realise a few things, and one thing in particular was a revelation to me.

Now I am not a handheld fan, never really enjoyed them, never comfortable playing them, just not something I can do at length.

The switch however, used the kickstand and popped it on my desk, unclipped a joycon and next thing you know I am sitting there with my feet up, nice and comfortable, subway, drink and cookie next to me and had a blast playing mariokart and streetfighter.

will never use it as an actual handheld, but relaxing using the kickstand was a lot of fun and in fact I did not want to stop. especially when anyone walking in can just grab a seat pass them the other joycon and next thing you know you are playing mariokart and winner stops on on Streetfighter.

Yeah, will be picking one up soon.
What I find most interesting about the switch is at launch it showcased all these different methods of play (docked, portable, kick-stand, local ad hoc, online multi, etc.) and, at first, I wrote them off. What's surprised me most is that it seems like ALL the different methods work very well and ALL of them are used by a variety of gamers. Me personally I'm handheld mode 99% of the time but my mate is on TV 99% of the time.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:17 am

The super premium price of the Switch, its accessories and the games on it are really putting me off buying one.... Then I saw the Monster Hunter announcement trailer.... I hate Nintendo....

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Shantae Half Genie Hero hits the eShop next week.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Does anyone else get dreadful performance trying to watch video on the Switch store?

I was browsing the store last night to see what had come out over the last month and checking out a few of the older games. Any time I tried to view a trailer it was horrendously slow, stopping and stuttering all the time, even for videos that have been around for a while so not at peak viewing. I gave up in the end and watched them on youtube on my tablet.

My internet connection shouldn't be the issue, my tablets/laptops/FireTV/Apple TV all work fine streaming hi def content.

I was tempted by Shovel Knight, but didn't have enough credit after putting my faith in Sumo and buying Snake Pass.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:51 pm

The videos load fine for me. Only once have they ever loaded very slowly but usually they load just fine with no pausing.

If I've learned anything from watching Wii U/3DS eShop videos, its try again later if they load slowly. :lol:

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:19 am

New details about the Paid Online Service.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-details-swit ... Socialflow

$20 a year with 1 and 3 month options available, now launching next year instead of this year, and from the wording it sounds like we get access to a library of classic games with added Online features instead of a 1 month free game trial.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:18 am

They're holding back the good stuff, all we're getting free is a few NES games
Nintendo wrote:At launch the classic game library will include NES games. Super NES games continue to be under consideration
At least the 3 games mentioned are some of the decent ones, but I bet they aren't generous with what they give.

NES games don't really entice me, but the SNES library might get my attention.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:18 am

I like the concept of the whole library being available for one flat fee. Now as long as they get a decent number of games included and continue to add to that list, it'll be worth the money for me.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:47 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:18 am
They're holding back the good stuff, all we're getting free is a few NES games
Nintendo wrote:At launch the classic game library will include NES games. Super NES games continue to be under consideration
At least the 3 games mentioned are some of the decent ones, but I bet they aren't generous with what they give.

NES games don't really entice me, but the SNES library might get my attention.
The whole online service sounds like utter garbage compared to Live and PSN. I'm enjoying the positive spin the Nintendo fanboys are trying to put on it though. Comedy gold.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:23 am

What gets me is the stinginess with the NES stuff even. 3 games announced. Most of the decent NES games have been available on hundreds of knock off NES-on-a-chip devices for a decade or so, to the point you don't even see that many of them around any more. There was a time just a few years back where you could walk into high street stores and buy something with 100 of them on for under 20 quid.

Not many demos of new games available to try either. I found that disappointing. Not even a rental option to try them for a day for a quid or two.

There's so little in the store, I was looking at buying some Neo Geo games. Just over £6 even for one of those though, when on the same day GoG was selling some of them for a quid, with bundles for less than the price of 1 game on Switch.

I fear if I have to go back to the doctor for a further rectal examination, they'll find something Nintendo up there I'm being reamed so badly.