Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

VirtuaMuser

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by VirtuaMuser » Fri May 26, 2017 3:51 am

Anyone picking up Ultra Street Fighter II today?

Took a day off work just to veg out with this game, as someone who has vivid memories of Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES I must say Ultra Street Fighter II is one polished nostalgia trip! Loving it so much so far, and while I don't think Way of the Hadou is a worthwhile addition to the package, I did manage to get it work! :P

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 26, 2017 7:27 am

VirtuaMuser wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 3:51 am
Anyone picking up Ultra Street Fighter II today?

Took a day off work just to veg out with this game, as someone who has vivid memories of Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES I must say Ultra Street Fighter II is one polished nostalgia trip! Loving it so much so far, and while I don't think Way of the Hadou is a worthwhile addition to the package, I did manage to get it work! :P
Even as a huge Capcom fan, I just can't justify the price of the game at the moment. I'll wait for a sale, well that and I'm still playing SFV so I don't really want to focus on 2 fighters at this point in time. But I'll probably end up with it just for the portable factor. How are the controls? As I'm not sure how the Switches D Pad will cope with 2D fighters.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:55 am

I think I'd rather play Garou. Now if they did a Darkstalkers game I might be interested, the SF characters just leave me cold.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

VirtuaMuser

Post by VirtuaMuser » Fri May 26, 2017 9:01 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 7:27 am
Even as a huge Capcom fan, I just can't justify the price of the game at the moment. I'll wait for a sale, well that and I'm still playing SFV so I don't really want to focus on 2 fighters at this point in time. But I'll probably end up with it just for the portable factor. How are the controls? As I'm not sure how the Switches D Pad will cope with 2D fighters.
So spent about 6 hours with this game today, now that New Switch Game Smell has worn off a little, a few points:

1. Ultra Street Fighter II looks and performs better than the 2008 HD remaster, the sprites have definitely been cleaned up. I ran the Switch game and the X360 HD remaster side by side, Ultra def has crisper and more detailed sprites.

2. This game is a joy to play on handheld, especially with Classic Visuals.

3. The standard switch joycon works fine as long as you're using the Analog sticks. Switching to 2P mode with a single joycon is uncomfortable. So yes Dpad isn't ideal at all.

4. I own the Switch Pro controller... can I just say it's ergonomically the best controller I've ever held? I would say it edges out the One controller a notch. Ultra Street Fighter and some of the SNK stuff are a lot more fun to play with the Pro Controller.

5. Way of the Hadou mode... works... despite what the training calibration might tell you, but it's still a try once and never again mode.

6. Online play is... a... MESS... that perhaps stings me the most. At this point it functions like Bomberman Online did during launch week.. but I suppose it's one of those things that will get fixed over time (hopefully). I mean, they eventually fixed Bomberman's netcode.

7. Honestly, reskins or whatever, the 2 new characters are mechanically unique! Violent Ken is so much fun to use.

Overall, what you see is what you get. It's Street Fighter II as you remember it, still a very polished and addictive fighting game. If that's what you're after then it's worth it. I know I'm happy with it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 26, 2017 10:04 am

Analogue stick... that doesn't sound nice. I hate using analogue sticks for 2D fighters with a passion so that's definitely a pass for now. If the d pad was ok I'd be more willing to get it sooner.

Online mode, well seeing as I play far too many Kens and Ryus in SF5 I can't bear thinking about playing this online, seeing as Violent Ken looks incredibly broken to fight against, I'd probably snap my Switch in two!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

SwitchIsRetro

Post by SwitchIsRetro » Sat May 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Loving my Nintendo Switch, been playing the ARMS Global Testpunch, and will be doing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe again soon. Can't wait to see what's coming for the console at E3.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:52 pm

VirtuaMuser wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 9:01 am
So spent about 6 hours with this game today... It's Street Fighter II as you remember it, still a very polished and addictive fighting game. If that's what you're after then it's worth it. I know I'm happy with it.
I'm about 4 hours in, agree with VirtuaMuser's views.

I'd also add that the Pro Controller is so comfortable! The D-pad is excellent, but the analogue is really precise. I've been pulling off Zangief's spinning pile-driver with ease all afternoon!

You can also switch between the original arcade graphics/sound and the remastered version. My preference is old sound, new graphics.

Yes, it's expensive (I got mine for £33 from ShopTo) but then I remember I shelled out £60 for Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES on launch! I wouldn't be surprised if the physical version doesn't go down in price and becomes quite sought after in a few years... I'm thankful that it's had a physical release at all! My advice, if you love the series it's a must own.

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Sun May 28, 2017 3:30 pm

If I remember correctly, SSFIV on 3DS when down to a £5 game in no time. :lol:

Good to hear its more then just a direct port of the HD version with barely any new things, but like every one else, I'm waiting on a price cut.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Sun May 28, 2017 8:08 pm

I wasn't going to get another street fighter but spotted it in smyths today for £30 and caved!

Had a few hours online today using the pro controller, no problems using analog or dpad & no problems with lag either, just make sure to click same region in search settings.

there's a lot of ryu/kens online but a few tiger uppercuts soon sorts them out and make them leave!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Mon May 29, 2017 8:08 am

Sagat is one of my favourite SF characters too, he's almost to the point of being over-powering....

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Mon May 29, 2017 12:04 pm

Speaking of Street Fighter, have a look at this :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEe_mZI1sVs

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon May 29, 2017 12:23 pm

I was tempted by SF II till I saw the price tag :shock: one for series enthusiasts only I think.

Anyone else been playing the ARMS test punch? I gave it a go yesterday and left quite impressed! The motion controls were really satisfying to use and the characters were all pretty varied (Min Min > all though). Would like to get a more thorough hands on so I can get used to the controls but, at this point, it's definitely piqued my interest.

VirtuaMuser

Post by VirtuaMuser » Mon May 29, 2017 1:41 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 8:08 pm

Had a few hours online today using the pro controller, no problems using analog or dpad & no problems with lag either, just make sure to click same region in search settings.
Coincidentally my Online experience today was practically hitch free, even going up against players from Spain and France (I'm in Australia), I had maybe one bad connection with a player from Sweden but other than that the online play has been MUCH better than what I experienced the day I got the game and over the weekend.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 29, 2017 10:15 pm

I'm still shocked that Violent Ken is even a character in the game since the only other fighting game he's been in was an SNK game (SVC Chaos) and not a Capcom Street Fighter.

Ultra is definitely a Switch game I'd like to play but with the fact that the original Super Turbo is still awesome and that HD Remix's sprites/music didn't really impress me too much (I did enjoy the game overall, mind), it would have to be cheap!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon May 29, 2017 10:27 pm

Hope the do a console Streetfighter bundle.

Not gonna lie, A switch console with streetfighter artwork plastered all over it is probably the push that i need to get one.