Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:25 am

Wii Sports Boxing is what springs to mind for me, one of the weakest of the Wii Sports titles with very limited appeal and little replay value. Fun for five minutes but not something you'd shell out a significant amount for on its own.

I say this as a Punch Out fan too. I've nothing against boxing games per se, but ARMS is going wholly in the wrong direction to appeal to me with its gimmicky characters and presentation.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon May 22, 2017 6:39 pm

I think something that would have been pretty cool (at least to me) would be if they were all mech suits with robotic arms. I think I have this dream that someone is gonna make some type of neon genesis evangelion, punch out nintendo hybrid game. :D
as for the arms direct, I thought it did a better job at presenting the concept to us than the initial first look we got. I am a bit more interested in it after seeing that, I wasn't sold on it at all when I first saw it. i'm kind of coming around to it, I would like to try it out though as I suspect its one of those games which makes much more sense when you demo it?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon May 22, 2017 7:44 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 11:25 am
Wii Sports Boxing is what springs to mind for me, one of the weakest of the Wii Sports titles with very limited appeal and little replay value. Fun for five minutes but not something you'd shell out a significant amount for on its own.

I say this as a Punch Out fan too. I've nothing against boxing games per se, but ARMS is going wholly in the wrong direction to appeal to me with its gimmicky characters and presentation.
Arms is as close to a boxing game as Street fighter is to a MMA one

By definition they are, in practice they are not
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon May 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Arms is getting some kind of beta this weekend like Splatoon 2 did recently. Which is great, as I get to try it to see if its something I'd like (I like the look of it). Then again, I've been really enjoying Mario Kart 8 recently, mainly just beating staff ghosts on time trial mode, it makes for an excellent portable game, so glad I skipped it on the Wii U now.

Also, glad to see the system is getting some of the Gunvolt games from Inti Creates in the coming months. Not quite Mega Man, but next to Shovel Knight it looks like the next best thing. I'll definitely be picking them up.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Mon May 22, 2017 9:56 pm

I think Arms looks interesting enough. Sure it might be the Nintendo fan in me speaking, but still for Nintendo to be trying out at least 1 big new IP per console as opposed to all those years they either just had smaller new IPs or relying on the same ones over and over (Yeah, they could be trying to revive Metroid bar that 3DS game and F Zero, but we did get StarFox last year on the plus side, motion controls or not) and even if Wii Sports was not your cup of tea, again you can use a Pro Controller instead (I enjoyed Boxing the most out of Wii Sports.). I think the whole mix and match each Arm could really add some depth to it.

And heck, there's the Beta this weekend and the one after (Funny how I'm going to Comic Con this weekend where they'll have the game demoed anyway. XD) so there's at least the trying it out for free part of it to appeal to people might like Splatoon and its sequel have done so far...

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed May 24, 2017 10:49 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:

That's interesting. My understanding was that Wii sports boxing was the most popular game on the compilation. I'm pretty sure a lot of people played and loved it. I even have an aunt that used to play it regularly as a fitness regime (not even kidding!).

Personally, I thought it was fun but didn't have enough fine control to give it any depth. It was also bloody knackering (which is both bad and good). :)

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed May 24, 2017 10:53 am

On the Arms front - it's funny how Nintendo are trying to take violent games and then Nintendofying/Disneyfying them so that they are acceptable for children and mass market play.

Splatoon was just a 3rd person shooter with guns replaced by paint. Now Arms is a violent fighting game Disney'd down to a future sport with funny huge boxing gloves (effectively making it like those Sumo wrestling outfits you can rent).

I can't decide if this is good or bad tbh. But I was put off buying Splatoon as it just didn't appeal to me (the art style was a bit pants IMO) and this is looking the same. I'm not against their philosophical principle but I just think they could find better art styles to get me in the mood. Which is ironic seeing as nintendo put a lot of effort and resource into concept art.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 am

Gigifusc wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 10:49 am
Antiriad2097 wrote:

That's interesting. My understanding was that Wii sports boxing was the most popular game on the compilation. I'm pretty sure a lot of people played and loved it. I even have an aunt that used to play it regularly as a fitness regime (not even kidding!).

Personally, I thought it was fun but didn't have enough fine control to give it any depth. It was also bloody knackering (which is both bad and good). :)
I would have said that the Bowling was the most popular.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:12 am

I'd go for tennis myself having put so many hours into it, but you're right, bowling would be the other I'd put at the top of the list. It is rather easy to trick it into regular strikrs though. Either of those two, the rest were mostly filler, but I'd give the golf some credit too as it has some replay value.
Weird there was never a decent implementation of tennis beyond that. I tried a couple, but they always crapped out on the motion control. Its surprising that the Sega game was one of the better ones, despite being a little off the wall.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Wed May 24, 2017 1:18 pm

Well, that rumored Mario X Rabbids game is looking more and more real....

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... ted_online

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed May 24, 2017 2:11 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 am
Gigifusc wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:

I would have said that the Bowling was the most popular.
Ah! Forgot about the bowling! :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed May 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Wii sports table tennis was the most fun I've ever had playing a game. My boy will deffo want splatoon 2. He loved the first one!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Gigifusc wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:

Back when I used to be jobless and needed a positive routine to get me going in the morning, I used to do 30-45mins of Wii Sports boxing in the morning before going out for a decent walk etc. Sounds stupid and isn't a substitute for real sports but it DOES give you a sweat and counts for some decent exercise I suppose.

I personally enjoyed Baseball (mostly for fielding a team of crazy Mii's I'd created) and Golf the most. The latter was quite relaxing in how it was presented and the motion controls worked well.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed May 24, 2017 8:57 pm

If anyone has an 8BitDo controller, then with a firmware update they can now be used on the Switch!

The website says 'any' of their controllers can be used in this way, but fails to mention that the Zero and the N64 controller don't get the update.

I bought a Zero last year for my Windows phone, before finding it wasn't compatible. I just dug it out to use with my Switch to find... it's still not compatible. It's a lovely little thing and I haven't found a single thing I can use it for yet!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Fri May 26, 2017 1:48 am

Monster Hunter XX is coming to the Switch.

http://kotaku.com/monster-hunter-xx-is- ... Socialflow