Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Gigifusc

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Gigifusc » Tue May 02, 2017 6:51 am

pratty wrote:
I agree with James. The best people could hope for is a digital re-release of the Gamecube Waverace with HD and possibly online. It's just not worth anymore investment than that. What else can they do with games like that and 1080 etc? And how well would they do in a market dominated by 'mature' action games? They'll always be a bit of fan service from Ninty but they have to attract the masses.

I do think F-Zero will be back at some point but it needn't be a regular franchise, the longer they leave it the more they can improve it since the last one and the more demand they'll be for it. I think Pikmin 3 was an example of this approach.

Anybody that wants a new Metroid, but won't play the Prime series because it's 3D and 1st person, and won't play Other M because of some mediocre reviews and accusations of sexism ( :roll: ) should slap themselves. The Metroid Prime trilogy is one of the best gaming trilogies of all time, and Other M was a fine game with the odd niggle, for the most part it was everything I'd hoped it to be, and it can be bought new so cheap.

Don't expect an immediate new Starfox as they've just done one. Personally I'd be interested in a Starfox Adventures 2 but I won't get my hopes up. Though I reckon a Luigi's Mansion 3 on the Switch is a high possibility, games like that just have far more scope for creativity and mass market appeal than the likes of Waverace.
Ok, I need to apologise here because somehow, my 'most wanted' list turned into a discussion about Waverace when in truth, that was just one throwaway game in the list. I'm not even a huge WR fan myself - I added it because I felt it was a popular game in Nintendo's archives.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Tue May 02, 2017 10:06 am

I'm waiting for Mario before I jump on board. At the moment there is only the Zelda game to tempt me and I can always borrow a buddy's wii u forthat one....

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:47 am

I am seeking advice.

What's the best place for news and reviews of Switch games?

I want somewhere that will highlight new releases, preferably with written reviews.

I want to be able to read up on those games already available physically and as downloads, as well as info on new releases. Not bothered about previews or any other guff speculating, just released games. Consistent, reliable reviews from an individual or a small team I can get to know and trust.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Fri May 05, 2017 9:56 am

NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 am

I did find that place, but it's a little obtuse, everything is masked by a fancy interface that reduces the functionality.

With Nintendolife, I can see the very latest reviews/releases, but browsing isn't simple, and you need to check in regularly to avoid missing the headline stuff.

Just give me a list of games that I can sort alphabetically or by release date, then click for review. If that's in there, its well hidden.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 am
I did find that place, but it's a little obtuse, everything is masked by a fancy interface that reduces the functionality.

With Nintendolife, I can see the very latest reviews/releases, but browsing isn't simple, and you need to check in regularly to avoid missing the headline stuff.

Just give me a list of games that I can sort alphabetically or by release date, then click for review. If that's in there, its well hidden.
Might be able to find a site through Metacritic. At the very least you'll get reviews and release lists even if it doesn't lead you to a suitable site.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:03 am

Next question.

I went to the store on my Switch.

There's an option to view new releases.

There's an option to view chart releases.

That seems to be it. No A-Z browsing of the back catalogue? Only an option to search for a title if you already know it exists?

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Tue May 09, 2017 11:12 am

There's not a huge library on the eShop at the moment, but if you scroll down the bottom of New Releases, click on the View More link and it'll display every game available to buy with a few search options.

Its not much but they're slowly updating the Eshop with extra features (The Best Sellers tab was added last month). Heck just today they added the feature of saving you card details so you're not entering them every time you buy something. :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks for that. I gave up in frustration quite quickly, since the store insisted on showing me pictures instead of text for the titles in the options I looked at.

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Thu May 11, 2017 12:08 pm

If anime's your thing, the Switch is getting a port of One Piece Unlimited World Red.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... st/.115949

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Thu May 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Would love it if it gets Star Wars Battlefront II, not very often I'm pumped for newer releases, but this is right up my street, purely for the promising single player mode.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Fri May 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 1:03 am
Next question.

I went to the store on my Switch.

There's an option to view new releases.

There's an option to view chart releases.

That seems to be it. No A-Z browsing of the back catalogue? Only an option to search for a title if you already know it exists?
Go to search. Click on the options (can 't remember what it's named exactly) button below the search box. Voila. All released games. :)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Any of you Switch fans looking forward to Hollow Knight? I've been playing it on PC today and it's really good.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun May 14, 2017 12:02 pm

I went into town yesterday to buy a Switch but came home empty handed. Only Game had any so I tried to purchase one, they told me they can only sell me one in a bundle. Ok I said what bundles do you do, they said we don't do any you must buy atleast two full price games and a MARIO themed accessory pack for us to sell you a Switch console ?
WTF, I just laughed and walked out, I then went into CEX, they have the bare faced cheek to be selling second hand units for £340.
I have decided to wait for some proper official bundles, surely a MARIO Kart bundle can't be to far away
"Time fades even legend..."

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun May 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Sorry to say we haven't played ours in ages. We will buy Mario Kart soon but the system desperately needs games.