Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JamesC

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by JamesC » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:43 am

The problem with imagining "a water physics based Mario Kart with full on MP" is that you're just splitting your market.
You can't assume that people who are buying Mario Kart will also buy this. Most will buy one or the other and some will be put off by the choice and won't buy either.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:00 am

I might invest in a Wave Race, since there's not much in the way of other racing games to choose from and its a genre I like on a handheld. Any decent car game would beat it out though, and there's Fast RMX ahead of it in the queue.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:20 am

I think you're all expecting a bit much from Nintendo. With them still developing games for the 3DS for a while yet - and the 2DS XL's unexpected arrival underlines that that platform isn't dead yet - we're probably looking at the Switch getting maybe six or so major first party releases per year, plus maybe some more ports of older games and a few throwaway titles that should probably have been downloads but inexplicably get a boxed release. And yes, they're mostly going to be series where the bandwagon's still rolling strongly, or attempts to create new ones.

As such, if anything like Wave Race or F-Zero gets revisited, it'll be farmed out to a third party where - even under Nintendo's supervision - the results may vary. On the one hand, you might get something like Hyrule Warriors or Tokyo Mirage Sessions which are pretty good games, if not really that much like anything Nintendo would make by themselves, but on the other you might get something that just falls flat like Metroid Federation Force or Star Fox Zero. It's a bit of a lottery really.

Still, we can live in hope for the secret project that Retro Studios are currently working on. Or maybe it'll just be another Donkey Kong or a return to Metroid Prime.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:49 am

A new Metroid would be nice but I think they need to do something new with it.

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:54 am

I'd like to think that since the Mario Kart for this system is just a port with extra bells and whistles that maybe they could be making a new F Zero with the extra time/staff not working on a new Mario Kart from scratch?

With Metroid, I think the very least they could show off is a CG cutscene trailer with maybe some early development gameplay just to say "Yes, we listened. Here you go!" even if the game's not due for another year or 2.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Maybe they could just coax some 3rd parties in with some sweet deals? A bit of cash thrown their way to lighten the burden of dev costs. Ninty games are generally pretty great, very polished, but hey have a very definite niche in the market. Its one of the few things that bugged me about the Cube, there were some significant gaps in games for it.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:35 pm

So, just saw a trailer for a new Daytona game. It was never a faourite of mine, I'm a Ridge boy, but what are the chances of this seeing this on Switch given the Sega releases on Ninty systems since they pulled out of the hardware market?

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:34 pm

JamesC wrote:The problem with imagining "a water physics based Mario Kart with full on MP" is that you're just splitting your market.
Sega didn't have problems including water racing segments in All Stars Racing Transformed (which, btw, is also the closest it comes to a modern Diddy Kong Racing, sans the lacking adventure mode) though. :wink:

Anyway, a new F-Zero and Wave Race might not happen, there still might be something done in this regard if they announce GameCube re-releases. The games could be given a bit of a "HD-ing" with wide-screen support and maybe online multiplayer with not much effort. It would be easy money and atleast partly satisfy the fans.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:56 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
JamesC wrote:The problem with imagining "a water physics based Mario Kart with full on MP" is that you're just splitting your market.
Sega didn't have problems including water racing segments in All Stars Racing Transformed (which, btw, is also the closest it comes to a modern Diddy Kong Racing, sans the lacking adventure mode) though. :wink:

That's not the same thing as creating a whole new game based purely on water based racing which is what's being suggested with Wave Race Switch.
By all means, add new features to Mario Kart - be they water based levels or whatever. In fact that would be preferable to the MK8 rerelease that were actually getting.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:57 pm

As of last night I'm a Switch owner, Mrs Ant bought me one for my birthday. Got Lego Undercover with it, which seems alright for the 5 minutes I've played, and bought Fast RMX.

Its smaller than I expected.

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:As of last night I'm a Switch owner, Mrs Ant bought me one for my birthday. Got Lego Undercover with it, which seems alright for the 5 minutes I've played, and bought Fast RMX.

Its smaller than I expected.
Yes, the buttons were a little small for my taste. Despite the price, I highly recommend the Pro Controller as the buttons and nice and big with an actual D Pad, and the controller feels super comfy to hold with a good weight to it.

Mario Kart arrived yesterday and its made a nice change to BOTW. :lol: Yeah I was a Wii U owners but I figured the large amount of new userbase for this system would more then make it worth it (16 of my friends list buddies were all playing it for example, a change to all of them playing BOTW. :lol: ). Changes they have made seem good so far. Battle mode is how it should have been, 2 items at a time as well as returns of Boo and the feather, you can now change character and kart in a lobby, there's an extra level of drift boost, and the extra 1080p/60fps/whatever is a noticeable upgrade even to someone like me who can't always tell the difference, but it does look like a nice update from the Wii U version. Even in handheld mode, the game still look very nice.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:14 am

JamesC wrote:
Gigifusc wrote:
JamesC wrote:Nintendo are in a difficult position in that many of their most ardent supporters are asking for games based on a sense of nostalgia.
Nintendo have to continue to innovate if they're to continue to have a future as a developer. Many of their IPs just don't have the legs to compete in the current market.

Seriously - a new Wave Race would sell about a hundred copies. Star Fox just isn't very good. Pilotwings is far too slight, as is Punch Out.
People thought they wanted a new Mega Man and Banjo Kazooie. What they got was a new load of 'Meh'.

The only IPs i really think have legs (other than the obvious Marios and Zeldas) are:
Metroid
Donkey Kong (this should be Nintendo's flagship 2D platforming franchise, with Mario concentrating on 3D. I'd actually like to see some of the Mario vs Donkey Kong elements added into a side-scrolling adventure (maybe for boss battles or something)
Mario and Sonic (perhaps ease away from the Olympics and do something like Sports Resort with them. Maybe tie this in with other dead franchises like Excitebike, Waverace, Pilotwings, Punch Out etc).
Animal Crossing - yep, should definitely go 'open world' with this.
Pokemon - this is the big one. I don't play these games but surely this is a licence to print money?
Totally disagree with you there! LOL.

Mighty no9 ISN'T a new megaman. YookaLaylee ISN'T a new Banjo game. They're brand new IP made by some of the same people that made the originals but NOT, crucially, in the same environment. I haven't played YL yet (It's sitting there on my HD but I need to finish Skyward Sword first) but I've heard it's got mixed reviews. Do you not think that if Nintendo had financed that game - or even just co-developed it - that it wouldn't have come out better? Just by having that Nintendo magic applied? Same with Might no9 no?

And whilst Wave Race wouldn't sell the millions that a multi platform racer would, again, the fact it's a Nintendo exclusive, sprinkled with Nintendo magic and helping to bolster a console that looks like it's going to be slim pickings... I think it would work just fine. I wouldn't buy it myself but I reckon a lot of players would. Just imagine a water physics based Mario Kart with full on MP. I think it would sell enough.
Would Mighty No 9 or Yooka Laylee have turned out better with Nintendo's funding and input? Possibly.
Unfortunately they'd have likely sold less copies as they'd have been single platform releases.

And yes, Wave Race would sell some copies. I'm not sure what 'enough' is but why settle for developing an incredibly niche game on an already niche system when you could put your efforts into trying to develop a bonefide hit?
Even Nintendo have to do market research. They can't just throw money wherever they please.

My point is that Nintendo can't just be a bottomless money pit for developers who want to make new iterations of tired IPs. Most of these old franchises have had their day. It's sad but that's just the way it is.
I agree with James. The best people could hope for is a digital re-release of the Gamecube Waverace with HD and possibly online. It's just not worth anymore investment than that. What else can they do with games like that and 1080 etc? And how well would they do in a market dominated by 'mature' action games? They'll always be a bit of fan service from Ninty but they have to attract the masses.

I do think F-Zero will be back at some point but it needn't be a regular franchise, the longer they leave it the more they can improve it since the last one and the more demand they'll be for it. I think Pikmin 3 was an example of this approach.

Anybody that wants a new Metroid, but won't play the Prime series because it's 3D and 1st person, and won't play Other M because of some mediocre reviews and accusations of sexism ( :roll: ) should slap themselves. The Metroid Prime trilogy is one of the best gaming trilogies of all time, and Other M was a fine game with the odd niggle, for the most part it was everything I'd hoped it to be, and it can be bought new so cheap.

Don't expect an immediate new Starfox as they've just done one. Personally I'd be interested in a Starfox Adventures 2 but I won't get my hopes up. Though I reckon a Luigi's Mansion 3 on the Switch is a high possibility, games like that just have far more scope for creativity and mass market appeal than the likes of Waverace.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon May 01, 2017 5:31 am

I hope they update the desktop soon. I bought a bunch of the Neo Geo titles and they clutter up the desktop horribly, I really want to be able to put them in a folder where they'll look neater but there's no option. I tried moving them to an SD card but it still forces you to keep the icons on the desktop. The Wii U and 3DS have the option to organise your games into folders, so hopefully Switch will soon.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Mon May 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Probably will at some point. They'll slowly add these new features with every big firmware update like how we can now view the best selling games on the eShop. :lol:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon May 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Just hoping for a web browser and Ebook reader

Kinda weird me saying this but...........

Ill probably end up getting one after payment of an events job I have coming up

Gonna sod the WiiU, for the sake of just Hyrule Warriors I might as well get something that ill end up wanting to play a load

Also disgaea 5