Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

greenberet79

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:54 am

Well, yes, there's lots of good stuff on the schedule for people who like those games. If you don't like them then they're not for you :lol:
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:45 am

Was thinking yesterday what would make me buy a Switch as someone who felt they got burnt by the WiiU (paid top whack for it and I'm now using it to play last gen Wii games).

It came down to games for me. I don't care about anything else.

Get a 2nd switch exclusive Zelda game ala Majoras mask on there. Get Mario Oddyssey on there with a promise of at least one follow up, a really good Metroid, a full on 3D pokemon, maybe another Pikmin, a new Starfox, evolve Cpt Toad into a deeper game, get an exclusive Monster Hunter on there, Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong (a full on 3d adventure as opposed to another 2D game), Diddy Kong Racing 2, F-zero, Pilotwings, a really good 3D Yoshi and a really good 3D Kirby, a proper Mario RPG, a really good paper Mario (last few haven't been great), a new punch out, a really good Kid icarus arcade action adventure, get shitloads of virtual console stuff on there at really cheap prices (big bundles)... Then add 2 or 3 brand new IP given the Nintendo magic touch.

Yeh, that would make me buy a Switch. censored me I'd run to Argos and buy one right now.

After the WiiU, I don't trust nintendo to get the games I want onto the platform. At best, I reckon we'll see three or four of the titles I've listed above over the next four years.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Gigifusc wrote: Diddy Kong Racing 2
The problem with wishes like this is, most bigger games companies prefer to focus on their main franchises these days, packing them with as much as possible instead of making sequels to less popular, older franchises or new IPs that could compete with their own titles. This is also why MS doesn't make another high-quality shooter franchise outside of Halo (although Gears of War kinda is that but it's a bit different) and why Sony doesn't make another high-quality racing franchise outside of Gran Turismo (Drive Club could be seen as one but the developer was dissolved so a sequel might not happen). Besides, DKR was made by Rare and was a unusual mix of adventure and racer and Rare used to excel at mixing such seemingly antithetical concepts (i.e. adventuring and racing, platforming and shooting, stealth and shooting, etc).

Stuff I'd personally like to see:

Mario All-Stars 3D - Collection of 3D Marios including Mario 64, Sunshine and the Galaxy games, with Mario 64 being remade with a modern engine.

A dark, twisted and mysterious Zelda game akin to Majora's Mask.

Metroid Hunters 2 - Nintendo's answer to the likes of Overwatch and Quake Champions. Basically an arena MP shooter.

Metroid 5 - the true successor to Fusion and a traditional side-scrolling Metroid. The innovation would be in-screen movement which would add an extra dimension and layer of complexity in the level design.

F-Zero GX HD Remix - GX was already a near perfect sci-fi arcade racer, all it would need is a bit of a HD makeover, a remixed, heavy metal soundtrack (opposed to the boring techno one), 30 player online multiplayer and a track editor.

A open space Star Fox game. Because why not? The canned Star Fox 2 already attempted the open approach and SF Adventures had the planet exploration/adventuring aspect.

Donkey Kong 3D Country - proper successor to DK64 and it's semi open-world 3D adventuring conception.

Wave Race Ultra - basically Wave Race but with a modern graphics and physics engine. Could be a discount title to demonstrate the hardware and have lots of re-playability.

New Piltowings - make it a light flight sim. I beleive there's a audience for such flight games on consoles.

New Tetris - Tetris DS was a blast, they could make another such nice Tetris game.

Contra 5 - traditional side-scrolling "run & gun". Don't fix it if it ain't broken. Just give lots of diverse levels, bosses and a cool co-op mode.

New Mega Man - a new traditional "2D HD" Mega Man would be nice.

New Advance Wars - I think it's time to bring this franchise back. The portable games were excellent and there's no need to change the concept much.

Golden Sun Rebirth - because a high-quality JRPG is always welcome.

Star Tropics 3 - another forgotten franchise. This could be made into Nintendo's "more mature" action adventure type game.

Eternal Darkness 2/HD/Shadow of the Eternals - make one of those and keep it exclusive. Nintendo still needs some more mature-oriented titles. SotE looked like a perfect match, but a ED2 or HD remake would be alright too.

Okami 2/Beyond G&E 2/Viewtiful Joe 3 - some sort of successors of these "cult" games for a niche yet dedicated audience.

GTA/AC/NFS/TES/FIFA/COD - Because Nintendo still needs some "dude bro" games... :wink:

Of course this is what *I* would like to see, not necessarily what they'll do.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Gigifusc wrote: Diddy Kong Racing 2
The problem with wishes like this is, most bigger games companies prefer to focus on their main franchises these days, packing them with as much as possible instead of making sequels to less popular, older franchises or new IPs that could compete with their own titles. This is also why MS doesn't make another high-quality shooter franchise outside of Halo (although Gears of War kinda is that but it's a bit different) and why Sony doesn't make another high-quality racing franchise outside of Gran Turismo (Drive Club could be seen as one but the developer was dissolved so a sequel might not happen). Besides, DKR was made by Rare and was a unusual mix of adventure and racer and Rare used to excel at mixing such seemingly antithetical concepts (i.e. adventuring and racing, platforming and shooting, stealth and shooting, etc).

Stuff I'd personally like to see:

Mario All-Stars 3D - Collection of 3D Marios including Mario 64, Sunshine and the Galaxy games, with Mario 64 being remade with a modern engine.

A dark, twisted and mysterious Zelda game akin to Majora's Mask.

Metroid Hunters 2 - Nintendo's answer to the likes of Overwatch and Quake Champions. Basically an arena MP shooter.

Metroid 5 - the true successor to Fusion and a traditional side-scrolling Metroid. The innovation would be in-screen movement which would add an extra dimension and layer of complexity in the level design.

F-Zero GX HD Remix - GX was already a near perfect sci-fi arcade racer, all it would need is a bit of a HD makeover, a remixed, heavy metal soundtrack (opposed to the boring techno one), 30 player online multiplayer and a track editor.

A open space Star Fox game. Because why not? The canned Star Fox 2 already attempted the open approach and SF Adventures had the planet exploration/adventuring aspect.

Donkey Kong 3D Country - proper successor to DK64 and it's semi open-world 3D adventuring conception.

Wave Race Ultra - basically Wave Race but with a modern graphics and physics engine. Could be a discount title to demonstrate the hardware and have lots of re-playability.

New Piltowings - make it a light flight sim. I beleive there's a audience for such flight games on consoles.

New Tetris - Tetris DS was a blast, they could make another such nice Tetris game.

Contra 5 - traditional side-scrolling "run & gun". Don't fix it if it ain't broken. Just give lots of diverse levels, bosses and a cool co-op mode.

New Mega Man - a new traditional "2D HD" Mega Man would be nice.

New Advance Wars - I think it's time to bring this franchise back. The portable games were excellent and there's no need to change the concept much.

Golden Sun Rebirth - because a high-quality JRPG is always welcome.

Star Tropics 3 - another forgotten franchise. This could be made into Nintendo's "more mature" action adventure type game.

Eternal Darkness 2/HD/Shadow of the Eternals - make one of those and keep it exclusive. Nintendo still needs some more mature-oriented titles. SotE looked like a perfect match, but a ED2 or HD remake would be alright too.

Okami 2/Beyond G&E 2/Viewtiful Joe 3 - some sort of successors of these "cult" games for a niche yet dedicated audience.

GTA/AC/NFS/TES/FIFA/COD - Because Nintendo still needs some "dude bro" games... :wink:

Of course this is what *I* would like to see, not necessarily what they'll do.
I always preferred DKR to Mario Kart. Just thought it played better (SP as opposed to MP). I've had a go at pretty much all the MK's and I get bored very quickly of them. DKR is one of the few racers that kept me playing for a very long time.

Interesting list. You're a bit more hardcore than me but still a good list. I'll be interested to see what they do with the Switch. At the moment, I can see it being similar to the WiiU - a relatively small number of Nintendo franchised games alongside a small number of 3rd party games alongside a bunch of Indie games. Which is why I won't be buying one anytime soon. Maybe when it drops to £199 and it's got a bunch of those games on it.

Analog

Post by Analog » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:10 am

outdated_gamer wrote: Metroid Hunters 2 - Nintendo's answer to the likes of Overwatch and Quake Champions. Basically an arena MP shooter.
they could do with getting overwatch on there, in fact they should really be pushing as much as they can to get it on there, this game is insanely popular! and I think the demographic and style is ideal for a nintendo console.
this is a pretty good idea, nintendo could capitalise on no mans sky's failings and get some of that audience that were disgruntled with that game. but I feel the ideal time to have put this sort of game out might be passing them by...
they would have to give it a total overhaul, flight sims are pretty deep things... imo the best approach if they would take it in that direction, is to bring elements of flight sim to just advance the series with its more traditional themes and ideas. it would still need to be 'fun' and approachable and geared towards a game which is quick and easy to get into.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:44 pm

I'd think that Splatoon is Nintendo's Overwatch, or should that be Overwatch is Blizzard's Splatoon given that it came first? Whichever, I'd doubt that they'd want to be competing themselves with a similar Metroid-themed game, when their energies might be better directed towards getting other key franchises on the Switch.

As for Overwatch itself, I'm pretty sure it could be made to run on the Switch - it works acceptably on the GPD Win after all - but the noises coming out of Blizzard seem to suggest that they wouldn't be happy with it taking that sort of graphical hit. I suppose it's one thing for PC gamers to run it on hardware well below the minimum spec and tweak it for performance, but another entirely to be targeting a console release that way and potentially suffering a backlash on account of that. It may eventually see a Switch release, but they'd want to take some time to optimize it to make the most of the hardware so next year at best, I'd say.

For a novel idea, how about an Animal Crossing game with Breath of the Wild-style open world landscapes? Obviously there'd be none of the combat, but they could keep some of the exploration and puzzle elements and allow you to settle down in any of the towns and indulge in the usual pastimes of the series. The side quest where you build up a new town from scratch had me thinking along those lines, and surely it'd be a better idea than the last couple of AC spinoffs which seemed somewhat bereft of content.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Matt_B wrote:I'd think that Splatoon is Nintendo's Overwatch, or should that be Overwatch is Blizzard's Splatoon given that it came first? Whichever, I'd doubt that they'd want to be competing themselves with a similar Metroid-themed game, when their energies might be better directed towards getting other key franchises on the Switch.

As for Overwatch itself, I'm pretty sure it could be made to run on the Switch - it works acceptably on the GPD Win after all - but the noises coming out of Blizzard seem to suggest that they wouldn't be happy with it taking that sort of graphical hit. I suppose it's one thing for PC gamers to run it on hardware well below the minimum spec and tweak it for performance, but another entirely to be targeting a console release that way and potentially suffering a backlash on account of that. It may eventually see a Switch release, but they'd want to take some time to optimize it to make the most of the hardware so next year at best, I'd say.

For a novel idea, how about an Animal Crossing game with Breath of the Wild-style open world landscapes? Obviously there'd be none of the combat, but they could keep some of the exploration and puzzle elements and allow you to settle down in any of the towns and indulge in the usual pastimes of the series. The side quest where you build up a new town from scratch had me thinking along those lines, and surely it'd be a better idea than the last couple of AC spinoffs which seemed somewhat bereft of content.

Its funny though, because a lot of PC gamers use systems that are hardly monsters and scale down the gam accordingly to improve performance in terms of frame rate etc, you are correct, they treat it like its a bad thing if a console does it.

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:05 pm

blizzard did at least seem positive about wanting to get it on the switch from the ama on reddit;
https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comm ... ff_kaplan/

interesting he says its very challenging, like you mention matt it shouldn't be a challenge in terms of power/spec, perhaps this could be suggestive of other potential problems unrelated to graphical standards?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Ain't it depressing when a completely reasonable wishlist on a forum is infinitely more exciting than what we will probably get? A fair number of those things of outdated_gamer's list becoming a reality would probably convince me to get a Switch.

(though I 100% disagree about F-Zero GX's soundtrack...it fitted the game perfectly and was amazing. I have the glorious 2CD soundtrack chilling on my shelf)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Analog wrote:blizzard did at least seem positive about wanting to get it on the switch from the ama on reddit;
https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comm ... ff_kaplan/

interesting he says its very challenging, like you mention matt it shouldn't be a challenge in terms of power/spec, perhaps this could be suggestive of other potential problems unrelated to graphical standards?
A big hurdle would be that the game was developed on a proprietary engine that's not been run on an ARM CPU so far. While it's of comparable theoretical performance to a lot of Intel/AMD CPUs that the game will run on, it might take a bit of work to get there in practice and nobody would have much of an idea how things will go until they've tried it. Hence, even if they are trying to port it behind the scenes, they're going to have to be somewhat cagey about it in public.

Realistically, the games we're most likely to see ported to the Switch any time soon are those developed on cross-platform engines, particularly Unity - where they're already starting to trickle out - and Unreal 4. Support for the latter on the Switch was only finalized in February though, so there probably won't be anything to see until late this year. Still, there may be a few announcements made in the coming months.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:55 pm

Analog wrote: they could do with getting overwatch on there, in fact they should really be pushing as much as they can to get it on there, this game is insanely popular! and I think the demographic and style is ideal for a nintendo console.
That's up to Blizz, if they evaluate they would have to cut too many technical corners, it might not happen.

Hunters was such a "one time" concept they (Nintendo) did, I think that while many people still enjoy FPS games for their single-player, the "meat and potatoes" of the genre always was multi-player, so I feel some sort of return to this idea could be made, especially if they picked a first-person perspective again (although ideally we'd have more perspectives). If we are talking SP only, then a 3rd person side-scrolling Metroid is still the best deal because that kind of gameplay didn't age a bit.
this is a pretty good idea, nintendo could capitalise on no mans sky's failings and get some of that audience that were disgruntled with that game. but I feel the ideal time to have put this sort of game out might be passing them by...
While I do not think Nintendo will ever compete directly with the likes of Star Citizen and NMS, I do think a similar concept could work well within a Star Fox universe. It makes sense also if we look what several games in the series (manily SFA) were doing.
they would have to give it a total overhaul, flight sims are pretty deep things... imo the best approach if they would take it in that direction, is to bring elements of flight sim to just advance the series with its more traditional themes and ideas. it would still need to be 'fun' and approachable and geared towards a game which is quick and easy to get into.
That's why I said "light flight sim", as in, arcade flight sim or accessible flight sim. It doesn't have to rival MS Flight Simulator and such, of course. It would be focused on "fun" stuff, like gliding, stunt jets, jet packs, heli rescue missions, etc.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:12 pm

Megamixer wrote:Ain't it depressing when a completely reasonable wishlist on a forum is infinitely more exciting than what we will probably get? A fair number of those things of outdated_gamer's list becoming a reality would probably convince me to get a Switch.
Well, to be fair, many of those kinda are happening, but in a different form. For example for a sci-fi F-Zero Style racer there is Fast RMX, for a new Tetris there is Puyo Puyo Tetris, for a new Advance Wars there is Wargroove, for a high-quality JRPG there is Xeno Chronicles 2, etc. And then there are many such similar "substitute" games (e.g. Contra ReBirth, Mighty No.9, Aqua Moto Racing, Okami HD, etc) that could be ported over without much effort. It's simply a matter of delivering something "slightly different" to what we'd expect normally.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:27 am

Nintendo are in a difficult position in that many of their most ardent supporters are asking for games based on a sense of nostalgia.
Nintendo have to continue to innovate if they're to continue to have a future as a developer. Many of their IPs just don't have the legs to compete in the current market.

Seriously - a new Wave Race would sell about a hundred copies. Star Fox just isn't very good. Pilotwings is far too slight, as is Punch Out.
People thought they wanted a new Mega Man and Banjo Kazooie. What they got was a new load of 'Meh'.

The only IPs i really think have legs (other than the obvious Marios and Zeldas) are:
Metroid
Donkey Kong (this should be Nintendo's flagship 2D platforming franchise, with Mario concentrating on 3D. I'd actually like to see some of the Mario vs Donkey Kong elements added into a side-scrolling adventure (maybe for boss battles or something)
Mario and Sonic (perhaps ease away from the Olympics and do something like Sports Resort with them. Maybe tie this in with other dead franchises like Excitebike, Waverace, Pilotwings, Punch Out etc).
Animal Crossing - yep, should definitely go 'open world' with this.
Pokemon - this is the big one. I don't play these games but surely this is a licence to print money?

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:28 am

JamesC wrote:Nintendo are in a difficult position in that many of their most ardent supporters are asking for games based on a sense of nostalgia.
Nintendo have to continue to innovate if they're to continue to have a future as a developer. Many of their IPs just don't have the legs to compete in the current market.

Seriously - a new Wave Race would sell about a hundred copies. Star Fox just isn't very good. Pilotwings is far too slight, as is Punch Out.
People thought they wanted a new Mega Man and Banjo Kazooie. What they got was a new load of 'Meh'.

The only IPs i really think have legs (other than the obvious Marios and Zeldas) are:
Metroid
Donkey Kong (this should be Nintendo's flagship 2D platforming franchise, with Mario concentrating on 3D. I'd actually like to see some of the Mario vs Donkey Kong elements added into a side-scrolling adventure (maybe for boss battles or something)
Mario and Sonic (perhaps ease away from the Olympics and do something like Sports Resort with them. Maybe tie this in with other dead franchises like Excitebike, Waverace, Pilotwings, Punch Out etc).
Pokemon - this is the big one. I don't play these games but surely this is a licence to print money?
Totally disagree with you there! LOL.

Mighty no9 ISN'T a new megaman. YookaLaylee ISN'T a new Banjo game. They're brand new IP made by some of the same people that made the originals but NOT, crucially, in the same environment. I haven't played YL yet (It's sitting there on my HD but I need to finish Skyward Sword first) but I've heard it's got mixed reviews. Do you not think that if Nintendo had financed that game - or even just co-developed it - that it wouldn't have come out better? Just by having that Nintendo magic applied? Same with Might no9 no?

And whilst Wave Race wouldn't sell the millions that a multi platform racer would, again, the fact it's a Nintendo exclusive, sprinkled with Nintendo magic and helping to bolster a console that looks like it's going to be slim pickings... I think it would work just fine. I wouldn't buy it myself but I reckon a lot of players would. Just imagine a water physics based Mario Kart with full on MP. I think it would sell enough.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:40 am

Gigifusc wrote:
JamesC wrote:Nintendo are in a difficult position in that many of their most ardent supporters are asking for games based on a sense of nostalgia.

Metroid
Totally disagree with you there! LOL.

Mighty no9 ISN'T a new megaman. YookaLaylee ISN'T a new Banjo game. They're brand new IP made by some of the same people that made the originals but NOT, crucially, in the same environment. I haven't played YL yet (It's sitting there on my HD but I need to finish Skyward Sword first) but I've heard it's got mixed reviews. Do you not think that if Nintendo had financed that game - or even just co-developed it - that it wouldn't have come out better? Just by having that Nintendo magic applied? Same with Might no9 no?

And whilst Wave Race wouldn't sell the millions that a multi platform racer would, again, the fact it's a Nintendo exclusive, sprinkled with Nintendo magic and helping to bolster a console that looks like it's going to be slim pickings... I think it would work just fine. I wouldn't buy it myself but I reckon a lot of players would. Just imagine a water physics based Mario Kart with full on MP. I think it would sell enough.
Would Mighty No 9 or Yooka Laylee have turned out better with Nintendo's funding and input? Possibly.
Unfortunately they'd have likely sold less copies as they'd have been single platform releases.

And yes, Wave Race would sell some copies. I'm not sure what 'enough' is but why settle for developing an incredibly niche game on an already niche system when you could put your efforts into trying to develop a bonefide hit?
Even Nintendo have to do market research. They can't just throw money wherever they please.

My point is that Nintendo can't just be a bottomless money pit for developers who want to make new iterations of tired IPs. Most of these old franchises have had their day. It's sad but that's just the way it is.