Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:13 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:I really want one, and just need an excuse to get one, but Nintendo are refusing to give me one.
Same. Got Zelda on Wii-U, hammered MK8 on the Wii-U and the only imminent release I would like to play is Ultra SFII but would I buy a new system for a tarted-up version of HD Remix that I downloaded from PSN for less than a tenner? Hmm...

Minecraft has never interested me (but may still sell a few systems given its popularity) and I have to admit that I've never even heard of Payday let alone its sequel so I have to agree with The Beans on this one.

Hoping that the Fire Emblem Warriors title gets shown off a bit more soon as that was one exclusive that I really liked the look of. I fear it will be DLCed or Amiibo'd up the arse though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:29 pm

AceGrace wrote:
Matt_B wrote:All this discussion has prompted me to buy a GPD Win. Well, it's got the games now, is genuinely pocket sized and runs all my Windows stuff to boot.

I reckon the Switch's time will come though. It'll just be at least another six months until it's got enough games without me having to buy again, at top prices, ones I've already played to a finish on another machine.
Where did you buy it from?
I got it from Geekbuying in Hong Kong. They're cheap, fairly reliable and it's not like anyone in Australia has any stock. They also ship from Spain if you're ordering in Europe, which may be useful.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Megamixer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I really want one, and just need an excuse to get one, but Nintendo are refusing to give me one.
Same. Got Zelda on Wii-U, hammered MK8 on the Wii-U and the only imminent release I would like to play is Ultra SFII but would I buy a new system for a tarted-up version of HD Remix that I downloaded from PSN for less than a tenner? Hmm...

Minecraft has never interested me (but may still sell a few systems given its popularity) and I have to admit that I've never even heard of Payday let alone its sequel so I have to agree with The Beans on this one.

Hoping that the Fire Emblem Warriors title gets shown off a bit more soon as that was one exclusive that I really liked the look of. I fear it will be DLCed or Amiibo'd up the arse though.

need an Fzero or Waverace to get me on board.

Hell I would even buy one if they redid Starfox Zero with standard controls.

talking about the Switch and what games Nintendo should do, someone mentioned a game form out of nowhere that I have not heard any one mention yet, but its actually a good shout. A sequel to Excite Truck. that gane was a lot of fun.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:44 am

My wife put one of the wrist straps on a joy con the wrong way round and now it's stuck. I mean really stuck. There is no 100% way of getting it off either. censored you Nintendo.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Just push the lock button back, it should come off easily (fnaar fnaar, etc.)
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:09 am

sscott wrote:My wife put one of the wrist straps on a joy con the wrong way round and now it's stuck. I mean really stuck. There is no 100% way of getting it off either. censored you Nintendo.
Press the release button, and slide the strap the opposite way (ie towards the bottom of the Joycon, not the top).
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:59 am

The guys. Finally sorted it. A light touch worked better than a heavy one!

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:20 pm

The Beans wrote:
killbot wrote:The big news is Minecraft is confirmed and Payday 2 is coming.
If this is what amounts to "big" news on the Switch then the thing is really going to struggle.
Not sure about Payday 2 (Though it did stand out as the only Mature and non-anime looking game on the whole Direct. :lol: ) but Minecraft has a certain crowd. The portability and Mario extras should temp a fair few people from that crowd.

Way I saw the Direct, they couldnt show ALL their cards on the table. E3 is in 2 months, they've got a heck ton of floor space again this year, and thus need to save some things for that.

We're also getting Anime Boobs The Videogame, better known as Senran Kagura, with HD Rumble shenanigans..... :lol:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... ndo_switch

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:30 pm

Yeah, a port of Minecraft isn't particularly head turning these days, but it's still an important box that needs to be ticked off.

Payday 2 is, again, nothing special. However, it does mean that yet another games engine - Diesel - has been ported to the Switch. It's not one that's likely to mean a huge raft of new games like Unity or Unreal 4, as there are only a scant handful of developers using it, but it bodes well for Nintendo and Nvidia's claims of it being a relatively easy machine to port to.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 am

What happened to Skyrim? In all the initial adverts?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 am

sscott wrote:What happened to Skyrim? In all the initial adverts?
It's scheduled for this Autumn, but there's no specific date yet.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/th ... rim-switch

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 am

Matt_B wrote:
AceGrace wrote:
Matt_B wrote:All this discussion has prompted me to buy a GPD Win. Well, it's got the games now, is genuinely pocket sized and runs all my Windows stuff to boot.

I reckon the Switch's time will come though. It'll just be at least another six months until it's got enough games without me having to buy again, at top prices, ones I've already played to a finish on another machine.
Where did you buy it from?
I got it from Geekbuying in Hong Kong. They're cheap, fairly reliable and it's not like anyone in Australia has any stock. They also ship from Spain if you're ordering in Europe, which may be useful.
I managed to snap one from CEX. Should arrive today. Fingers crossed it isn't faulty. Mind you, if it is, CEX have a 2 year warranty.

VirtuaMuser

Post by VirtuaMuser » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:40 pm

Launch day adopter here. I struggled a lot with joycon syncing but now it's virtually absent.

At the moment I'm quite happy with the pace in which they are releasing games, I enjoy taking my time with some of these games so there's certainly a method to Nintendo's apparent madness!

Bomberman R is so much fun to play online now after the last update, and the Neo Geo titles give me a nice break between Zelda sessions.

Overall very happy with the system, I just wish Ultra Street Fighter II had been a launch title... argh!

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 am

VirtuaMuser wrote:Launch day adopter here. I struggled a lot with joycon syncing but now it's virtually absent.

At the moment I'm quite happy with the pace in which they are releasing games, I enjoy taking my time with some of these games so there's certainly a method to Nintendo's apparent madness!

Bomberman R is so much fun to play online now after the last update, and the Neo Geo titles give me a nice break between Zelda sessions.

Overall very happy with the system, I just wish Ultra Street Fighter II had been a launch title... argh!
Yeah, I'm happy with the pace too. Zelda in March, MK in April, Street Fighter in May, ARMS in June, Splatoon 2 in July, then Skyrim, Mario and several others all due before year's end. There certainly isn't a Wii U-style drought, and even if you do find a lull between retail releases there are an increasing amount of fun indies to plug the gaps.

Still disappointed by the big 3rd parties, who seem to have a policy of staunchly refusing to even acknowledge the machine exists no matter how many sales records it breaks. Except for EA releasing FIFA 18, which will no doubt be dreadful and sell poorly at which point they'll pull all support. But hey, I'm having too much fun to care.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:11 pm

The pace is fine, it's the actual games that are the problem. I'd give Zelda a punt, though I'm not sure it's my cup of tea - the only free roamer I've really enjoyed other than the GTAs was Red Dead Redemption (GTA in a cowboy hat). Tried Skyrim on PC and didn't really get on with it, seemed too aimless and obtuse. I'm hoping Nintendo have done their usual and made it player friendly. Don't want MK, I'd rather have a proper car racer instead of carts, SF isn't a series that holds my attention (never been a fan, prefer some of the other Capcom games like Darkstalkers), ARMs and Splatoon look like crap indie games...

So that's Mario and Zelda then, since I can probably get most of the indie stuff on my Windows tablet.

Is there anything good on the schedules? From anyone?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.