Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Matt_B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:29 am

outdated_gamer wrote:That's what I also think. With the Switch you're essentially buying a Nintendo + indie box, and that's not a bad thing. Ports of "AAA" games could still happen, but let's be fair here - they'd either be too watered down or reworked to really turn heads. Although I could see ports of GTA 5, Minecraft, Skyrim, Ass. Creed, Batman, NFS, Fifa, etc running just fine on it.
Yep, all of those run on Windows tablets with far weaker graphical capabilities than the Switch and Indeed, I'd have thought that pretty much any game where there's a Windows port with a low setting that'll run on an Intel or AMD iGPU ought to be in the frame so that'd also potentially extend to things like XCom 2, Civ 6 and Overwatch. Even in its down-rated portable mode the Switch has a fair bit more going for it, so I'd be surprised if there were insurmountable technical barriers to them. It's more likely to be a question of whether there will ultimately be enough of a user base to make it worth their while.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:12 am

Suggested to Mrs Ant that I might buy a Switch with some of the extra cash I'll be getting for working offshore this month, though I'm hesitant because of the lack of current games that interest me.

She suggested it as a possible birthday present instead, so we'll wait and see what the end of the month brings when I get home again.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:42 am

One of the things that concerns me with buying a Switch is that it will just end up as a place for ports of PC indie games. Is there much point when I already have a Windows tablet and an Xbox pad?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:07 am

Definitely holding fire on this one as the only thing worth getting on it so far we already have on the Wii U.

Will probably end up getting one down the line though as it seems to be a lot less hassle convincing the Mrs that we should spend the kids' inheritance on Nintendo machines than Sony or Microsoft ones or a decent spec PC, no idea why like,

I always take the path of least resistance me.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:05 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:One of the things that concerns me with buying a Switch is that it will just end up as a place for ports of PC indie games. Is there much point when I already have a Windows tablet and an Xbox pad?
At the moment it is, as has been observed, a box for playing first-party Nintendo games and indie titles. However I think the AAA pubs will be looking at doing things with it if it continues to sell as well as it has been; whether that will mean new titles built for Switch or slightly downgraded ports of Xbone/PS4 games I don't know. I imagine we'll find out more come E3.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:21 am

I know the joy cons have a bit of technology in them, but I wonder if a developer could make custom ones to go with games. could gorego all the HD rumble crap and just come with the game as a bundle.

Mainly thinking a left Joycon with a rotary dial bundled with a new version of tempest for example.

anyway still think Nintendo have missed a trick by not selling extra docking stations separate. I want to have a docking station in different rooms.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:38 pm

They did offer buy-able Docks in America, though some got bend/crushed in the mail thanks to posting in a postal bag by NOA. Think they resolved that matter.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:54 pm

I actually don't mind the games line-up right now, I still have way too many games to play! Not even 30% through the new Zelda.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:40 pm

First Nintendo Direct since the Switch launch is coming Wednesday Night.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... s_and_more

Will mainly focus on Arms and Splatoon 2, but will feature other Switch and 3DS news.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:15 pm

All this discussion has prompted me to buy a GPD Win. Well, it's got the games now, is genuinely pocket sized and runs all my Windows stuff to boot.

I reckon the Switch's time will come though. It'll just be at least another six months until it's got enough games without me having to buy again, at top prices, ones I've already played to a finish on another machine.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Anyone see the Direct? It showed off ARMS ad Splatoon 2 in more detail with both looking better than the last time they were shown. The big news is Minecraft is confirmed and Payday 2 is coming. Still no news on any major third-party titles beside indie stuff but the exciting news is we have one big new game a month between now and July. They've successfully sidestepped the problem with Wii U of major droughts, for now anyway.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 am

Matt_B wrote:All this discussion has prompted me to buy a GPD Win. Well, it's got the games now, is genuinely pocket sized and runs all my Windows stuff to boot.

I reckon the Switch's time will come though. It'll just be at least another six months until it's got enough games without me having to buy again, at top prices, ones I've already played to a finish on another machine.
Where did you buy it from?

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:03 am

I've pre ordered Mario Kart Deluxe. Feel a little dirty but my son and daughter will give it some serious playtime so I guess it's OK!
Back on the rocket league love in I think it could be ported to Switch. It's the number one game with our kids at school atbthe moment so might attract an audience?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:16 pm

killbot wrote:The big news is Minecraft is confirmed and Payday 2 is coming.
If this is what amounts to "big" news on the Switch then the thing is really going to struggle.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:20 pm

The Beans wrote:
killbot wrote:The big news is Minecraft is confirmed and Payday 2 is coming.
If this is what amounts to "big" news on the Switch then the thing is really going to struggle.
Have to agree.

Hoping to pick one up soon but still nothing I want. An Ultra streetfighter 2 bundle may persuade me as I like to pick up anything streetfighter related, but its still not a game I am excited about.

would probably enjoy Zelda, have played mariokart 8 to death on the Wiiu, no interest in splatoon and not a fan of Minecraft.

I really want one, and just need an excuse to get one, but Nintendo are refusing to give me one.