Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Nikolai

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Nikolai » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Ah! I've got my Switch and have played Zelda for a couple hours, after half an hour with setting up the console and checking all corners of it. Very fun so far.:D Now my wife has got hold of the console and she is trying a Zelda-game for the first time.:D On her own user of course.;)

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:35 pm

record sales allegedly.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... itch-sales

so far, so far so good it seems in terms of shifting units.
Nintendo Switch sold more in its launch weekend in Europe than any other Nintendo hardware launch in history.

Not only that, but Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Europe's biggest-selling Nintendo launch title ever - higher even than Wii Sports, which was packed-in with the Wii.

These impressive facts have just been announced by Nintendo, although it is worth remembering how hardware launch figures are constrained by the amount of stock available to retailers

So, while Switch sold more consoles over its launch weekend than the Wii, it is important to note how Wii's stock was also severely limited.

Regardless, these are promising soundbites for Switch, which shifted 80k units over its opening weekend in the UK alone - double the amount of Wii U, but less than Wii, 3DS, or Xbox One.
so it's sold more copies of zelda botw than mario 64 did in it's opening couple of days. i'm not sure if this is factoring in that there are two versions out or it's just talking about switch alone? the big test is gonna come in the period from now until mario as a lot of people are gonna hold out until then.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Nintendo need to do some PR damage control about the dead pixel thing if they want to maintain the early momentum. The internet has a habit of magnifying stuff like this into undeservedly epic proportions.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Seems everyone is getting it to play Zelda and 1,2 Switch is barely selling. :wink:

To me, this is proof that the so-called "casual" market that was buying the Wii en mass to play Wii Sports is all but gone and that they should fully focus on delivering quality "fan service" exclusives. Announcing a new "core" Metroid, Earthbound and F-Zero title would be a step in the right direction, but some sort of "3D Mario Collection" with a well re-mastered/remade Mario 64 combined with Sunshine and the Galaxy games could fall on fertile ground too. And maybe announce Okami 2 and Beyond Good & Evil 2 as (timed) exclusives, and the dedicated gamers will notice.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:02 am

The Beans wrote:Nintendo need to do some PR damage control about the dead pixel thing if they want to maintain the early momentum. The internet has a habit of magnifying stuff like this into undeservedly epic proportions.
all they need to do is specify the 3-5 dead pixels which fall under the acceptable limit as industry standard. People will always moan and pick holes but it might fan some flames.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:29 am

Grizzly wrote:
The Beans wrote:Nintendo need to do some PR damage control about the dead pixel thing if they want to maintain the early momentum. The internet has a habit of magnifying stuff like this into undeservedly epic proportions.
all they need to do is specify the 3-5 dead pixels which fall under the acceptable limit as industry standard. People will always moan and pick holes but it might fan some flames.
You never know, this might be the thing that finally throws the old "industry standard" under the limelight for the shoddy practice that it is. We might ultimately end up having to pay more for devices with LCD screens, but I'd think it'd be worth it for the peace of mind that you can expect them to work without such obvious imperfections.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:38 am

Ordered mine from ShopTo and it arrived via DPD at 9.30am on launch day. Perfect service. I got the Neon console with Zelda and Super Bomberman R.

Here are my early views of the Switch...

Console
It's much smaller than I anticipated but the overall design is good and the tablet screen is excellent. The whole thing is so portable, very simple to move between TVs in your house too. The controllers are amazing - yes they're very small - but they feel just right. There's also lots of different ways you can use them... on their own, together as a normal pad or together with the tablet screen. I am impressed with the overall quality of the build. The software frontend is very similar to the 3DS and Wii U and is easy to use. You can also link it to your current eShop/Nintendo account to share your wallet and information across platforms.

Games

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Haven't played it too much yet, but already it feels more expansive than anything that has gone before. The graphics, sound and controls feel perfect and I can't wait to sink several hours into it next weekend.

Super Bomberman R
Nothing massively new to see here, but it's a polished version of the old formula with a big emphasis on multi-player. I really love how you can now play the story mode in 2 player too. The only thing I don't like is the voice actors for each Bomber... they're no longer cute, just annoying.

Virtual Console games
I downloaded Shock Troopers just to try out a retro title (only £6.29)... Nintendo has got this spot on. The options for display and sound are incredible - it's right up there with the quality seen on the recent Sega Classics series. You can customise it just how you want! Very impressed.

Snipperclips
This was a surprise. An new innovative puzzle game based around the new controllers perfectly designed for 2 players. It's guaranteed to make you smile at how clever it is. I've only played about an hours worth so I'm not sure how much depth there is, but what I've seen so far is brilliant.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase... we just need more content now for it to really shine.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:03 am

Analog wrote:record sales allegedly.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... itch-sales

so far, so far so good it seems in terms of shifting units.
Nintendo Switch sold more in its launch weekend in Europe than any other Nintendo hardware launch in history.

Not only that, but Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Europe's biggest-selling Nintendo launch title ever - higher even than Wii Sports, which was packed-in with the Wii.

These impressive facts have just been announced by Nintendo, although it is worth remembering how hardware launch figures are constrained by the amount of stock available to retailers

So, while Switch sold more consoles over its launch weekend than the Wii, it is important to note how Wii's stock was also severely limited.

Regardless, these are promising soundbites for Switch, which shifted 80k units over its opening weekend in the UK alone - double the amount of Wii U, but less than Wii, 3DS, or Xbox One.
so it's sold more copies of zelda botw than mario 64 did in it's opening couple of days. i'm not sure if this is factoring in that there are two versions out or it's just talking about switch alone? the big test is gonna come in the period from now until mario as a lot of people are gonna hold out until then.
Scalpers are really snapping them up arent they?

Analog

Post by Analog » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:02 am

DPrinny wrote: Scalpers are really snapping them up arent they?
looks that way at the moment, quite a lot of consoles on there and above rrp. hoping nintendo ships adequate stock so they can nip it in the bud.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:33 am

There are 5 or 6 Switches in the local CEX - they've done a nice window display! There's also a Zelda collector's edition with the CD etc.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:09 pm

I am reasonably happy with the Switch so far.

The console feels well made, and apart from the lack of content on the console (it is only a few days old after all) it runs quickly and cooly.

The 2 seperate joy cons are really handy for casual gaming.
When fitted to the grip to form a conventional controller, they work OK, but I find the shoulder buttons a bit small. Same goes for portable mode, although I have gotten more used to this over time.

Using them in tabletop mode feels unnatural, but will give it another go.

Ultimately I think I will be looking for a pro controller sooner rather than later.

Games -
Zelda - massive, and a real gem. Probably the only game selling the system right now.
I have Fast RMX - fun game that runs like lightning. Would highly recommend.
Snipperclips - Perfect game for the joy-con controllers in co-op mode. Would love to try this 4 player.

I am concerned with the online element.
Everything is so basic just now, and it is hard to argue with the critics that the console is effectively a beta release.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Watched some multi-player Bomberman

Is there no way of stopping the map from swaying? Just watching it makes me sea sick

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:28 pm

Virtual Console games
I downloaded Shock Troopers just to try out a retro title (only £6.29)... Nintendo has got this spot on. The options for display and sound are incredible - it's right up there with the quality seen on the recent Sega Classics series. You can customise it just how you want! Very impressed.
I don't believe those are part of Nintendo's VC but rather what SNK/Whoever are handling these Neo Geo games are doing is their own thing. I believe they're the same as the recent Neo Geo releases on XBONE and PS4.

The Wonder Boy remake has been dated for April 18th.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:40 pm

ALK wrote:
Virtual Console games
I don't believe those are part of Nintendo's VC but rather what SNK/Whoever are handling these Neo Geo games are doing is their own thing. I believe they're the same as the recent Neo Geo releases on XBONE and PS4.

The Wonder Boy remake has been dated for April 18th.
Yeah, its the same crew that's been doing the arcade classics on the PS4, nothing to do with Nintendo. Great game selection though, nice that its not the same damn old Neo Geo games - instead getting awesome stuff like KOF 98 and Shock Troopers.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm enjoying it so much, I've tracked down the switch special edition for £80.

I don't have a switch.

Gaming kinda does this to generally sensible people doesn't it?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.