Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Big Shoes

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:11 am

I picked mine up at midnight from Smyths Toys from a Pre Order, strangely there was only 6 people there picking theirs up. They had more stock that they could sell and also about 8 Pro Controllers to sell to, lots of copies of each game as well, so definitely not sold out.
I might open it tonight to have a look but I am moving house today so might not get a chance.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:16 am

Picked mine up at midnight along with about 50 other people from Game in York. Really nice system, feels like very good build quality. Played a couple of hours of Zelda - the game looks great on the TV and off, the controller is reasonably comfortable given that its really just a shell that you clip the joycons into and overall I'm impressed; except for one very big problem. It won't find my wireless network. At all. I've reset the router, reset the Switch, changed the channel, tried to connect manually, nothing works and Nintendo themselves are at a loss to explain it. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the console as it's picking up every other network in the viscinity, it just flatly refuses to see mine. The Wii U, my phone, my tablet and my laptop all see it but not the Switch. Very, very frustrating and I'm just hoping that this can get resolved.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:20 am

Can you use the LAN connector from the Wii and WiiU?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:22 am

Picked up mine this morning along with my Zelda Collector's Edition. About 10 people there, still better then the 2-3 I saw on the Wii U launch day.

So far yeah, its a very nice system. As others have mentioned, the buttons are pretty small but they still manage to do the job just fine. Had no left joycon sync issues so far and the console picked up my wireless extender just fine. Using the joycons on their own might take some getting used to but at no point were my hands cramp or aching from a good 3 hour Zelda session. Do kind of which there was music in the menus, but I assume all that is saved for buyable themes like the 3DS.

Also decided to download Shock Troopers, being my fav Neo Geo game and a good fit if I ever want to do a local multiplayer with someone.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:39 am

RetroBob wrote:Can you use the LAN connector from the Wii and WiiU?
Yes.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:51 pm

So has anyone had problems with their pre-orders not being delivered? I've seen a lot of stories of Nintendo UK, GAME, Shopto & Amazon customers being left out in the cold. My best bud pre-ordered his with Nintendo months ago and so far there's been no sight of it. Much to his annoyance, I walked in to my local indie game store and bought one off the shelf (yes, yes...wasn't planning to but I caved :oops: ). Feel bad for him being let down on launch day, by Nintendo's direct site no less.

As for my thoughts, I absolutely love the system so far! Very comfortable to hold, nice tactile buttons and a solid overall build quality. The only bit I'm not keen on is the plastic kick-stand, which feels like it could snap off if bumped. The joycons are a nice surprise - extremely sturdy and the 'HD Rumble' nonsense is actually brilliant. 1-2-Switch was a surprising highlight, as pants as it looks in the adverts it's actually brilliant played locally.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Rayne wrote:So has anyone had problems with their pre-orders not being delivered? I've seen a lot of stories of Nintendo UK, GAME, Shopto & Amazon customers being left out in the cold. My best bud pre-ordered his with Nintendo months ago and so far there's been no sight of it. Much to his annoyance, I walked in to my local indie game store and bought one off the shelf (yes, yes...wasn't planning to but I caved :oops: ). Feel bad for him being let down on launch day, by Nintendo's direct site no less.

As for my thoughts, I absolutely love the system so far! Very comfortable to hold, nice tactile buttons and a solid overall build quality. The only bit I'm not keen on is the plastic kick-stand, which feels like it could snap off if bumped. The joycons are a nice surprise - extremely sturdy and the 'HD Rumble' nonsense is actually brilliant. 1-2-Switch was a surprising highlight, as pants as it looks in the adverts it's actually brilliant played locally.
Yeah the kick stand could easily be snapped I think. Just have to be careful. The rubber coming off the ps4 controllers was really bad and should have been recalled IMO.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:13 am

Rayne wrote:So has anyone had problems with their pre-orders not being delivered? I've seen a lot of stories of Nintendo UK, GAME, Shopto & Amazon customers being left out in the cold. My best bud pre-ordered his with Nintendo months ago and so far there's been no sight of it. Much to his annoyance, I walked in to my local indie game store and bought one off the shelf (yes, yes...wasn't planning to but I caved :oops: ). Feel bad for him being let down on launch day, by Nintendo's direct site no less.

Yes. In Norway for my part. I preordered 17/1, and was expecting the machine yesterday. But because Bergsala, exclusive distributor of all thinngs NIntendo since the early 80s, decided to threaten legal action towards any shop that sent out preorders earlier than 2/3 - the freaking day before in a country so elongated as Norway. And because the postal services' main distribution center in Oslo is moving to new facilities this exact weekend. Almost no one who preordered got their Switch.:( Only those who bought it in a retail store, and those had limited amounts. So no, I do not have my Switch, and I might not have it before mid next week...

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:28 am

I'm seeing them on the shelves in quite a few outlets so hopefully the evil scalpers wont get to ply their reprehensible trade.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:46 am

Think I'll wait for Super Mario Odyssey before I consider it. I suspect a price drop won't be that long off either.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:58 am

gman72 wrote:I'm seeing them on the shelves in quite a few outlets so hopefully the evil scalpers wont get to ply their reprehensible trade.
I saw a scalper trying to sell a new Switch for ~500 pound, but I doubt he succeeded.;)

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Nikolai wrote:
gman72 wrote:I'm seeing them on the shelves in quite a few outlets so hopefully the evil scalpers wont get to ply their reprehensible trade.
I saw a scalper trying to sell a new Switch for ~500 pound, but I doubt he succeeded.;)
Saw a few of those along with some bundling the Zelda Collector's Edition for £550 on ebay out of curiosity. Guess they only got lucky with the BOTW amiibo this time.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:33 pm

My local CEX has one for £350....or GAME have several for £279.99....
Identical units too
Going Solo...................

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:47 pm

I caved in pathetically easily to the critical acclaim surrounding Zelda and had my Switch delivered this afternoon.

It is a nice piece of kit. The actual device doesn't have much more screen area than my admittedly huge Xiaomi Max phone but it is at least double the thickness. The accessories are all well made.

To be honest Zelda seems a little retrograde after a few days with Horizon Zero Dawn. But I am only a few hours into both of them. For the time being I expect them both to be pretty great. And with Nier: Automata and Persona 5 on the horizon, this is turning out to be quite a year for gaming already.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:01 am

Gonna pick up snipper clips as it looks awesome.