Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Matt_B » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:07 pm

They were probably thinking that:

1. They can't put a mechanical hard drive in a handheld device. It'd guzzle power and be vulnerable to shock damage.
2. SSD storage is expensive for large capacities. A 500GB drive (that's still not big enough for some) would add at least $150 to the price, making it a non-starter.
3. Enough internal storage for game saves, one large download or several small downloads will be enough for most users.
4. An SD card slot to expand the storage, for the people who need more, is the best option.

If I were buying one now, which I'm not for reasons already stated, I'd probably pop in one of the 128GB cards I've got spare and maybe look at upgrading to a 512GB card either when it's filled up or prices have come down.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:18 am

Rayne wrote:
sscott wrote:Just paid for mine today. It's too late now!! Lol. My son will enjoy it as he always love the Nintendo first party releases anyway. An expensive proposition though for us early adopters BUT I wish it well!
Look forward to hearing your thoughts! :) If it's as excellent as I hope it is, I might give in and pick one up in May/June.
Will share my thoughts here and will try to be objective. Have all the systems so no fanboy stuff from me. Particularly interested in what the impact of playing the handheld vs plugged into main system.

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:57 pm

I don't know whether I am in an incredibly small minority or just very lucky or what? but it seems every issue that seems to be brought up around nintendo in recent years has not really affected me... if the capacity of the hard drive is small I don't think this will affect me either? I have barely scratched the surface of the hd of my ps3 and wii u after years of owning both of them. the recent issues about nintendo and youtube is a weird one, again it doesn't affect me as the only video's I upload are pc games since its such a ballache to setup recording from anything older than current gen consoles and that is more about 3rd party capture hardware rather than anything else. I don't usually watch let's plays, only if I need to find out more about a game and the reviews are lacking like a beta dev game or something obscure, normally a video review will suffice. in fact quite often I know whether I want something just from preview footage or even online articles with screenshots (that method rarely failed me back when I was a kid buying the latest gaming mags). the ns battery life being 3 hours is a non issue for me as I don't play much longer than that in one session. if there was no trophy support this wouldn't bother me as I am not a trophy hunter. I am beginning to wonder if I am just a very undemanding person or what? :lol: I just want the games to be the sort of thing I like and be high quality. the only thing putting me off ns currently is the lack of stuff I really really want at launch. I do like the look of bomberman though.

did anyone here see that stuff about someone taking apart a nintendo switch to look inside?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:30 pm

Analog wrote:did anyone here see that stuff about someone taking apart a nintendo switch to look inside?
Yeah, I posted up a link to an Ars Technica article on the last page.

Nobody's really sure if it's an actual production Switch, a development model or something that's completely faked though. I guess we'll find out in a week or so.

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:08 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Analog wrote:did anyone here see that stuff about someone taking apart a nintendo switch to look inside?
Yeah, I posted up a link to an Ars Technica article on the last page.

Nobody's really sure if it's an actual production Switch, a development model or something that's completely faked though. I guess we'll find out in a week or so.
ah sorry, just going through that article yea we'll know for sure in a couple of weeks. the chip thing is interesting, I noticed a video pop up in my recommendations from spawnwave where he goes into detail about it. some of the spec discussion goes over my head a bit the chip was discussed too and it is thought that someone might be able to find out more about it but it will take a lot of digging. they did mention how it seemed to be encased in metal frame and drawed distinctions with a tablet and how those feel really cheaply made because the lack of a cage tends to make then bend quite easily.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:05 am

When news of the Switch hit, I was very interested. The WiiU left me cold, but yet I love the Wii. Yes I am a fan of motion controls (when used correctly and not tacked on) and yes I am a fan of Nintendo products, but I'm also a fan of Sony consoles. I've even got an XBox 360. I've always liked having a console manufacturer in the market which tries to bring something new to the industry and not just a glorified PC. However, I personally feel that this seems to be change for change sake. I liked the idea of a handheld/home console hybrid. I liked the controller idea too, but did they have to throw in motion controls on top? Is that one step too far in order to get fans on board? It's already a radical design, why add more which could potentially alienate fans. Surely Nintendo have paying attention to feedback? Also, the line-up is just a bit.............flat. Nothing is sticking out for me. Nintendo are placing all their bets on the Switch, so you'd expect a stellar launch. But yet it seems all half-arsed. I'm still interested, but strictly on the fence on this occasion.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:59 am

Have to agree, the Switch is doing absolutley nothing for me from what I've seen so far. Then again I wasn't intitally convinced by the Wii U but I grew to really like it (typically that was just before it was announced that it's be discontinued!)
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:36 am

I'm gunna get a wii u instead but may get a switch after it drops in price because it looks good but i have so many wii u games to try(when i had a wii u i never played a single mario game) plus wii u consoles are cheaper now and hopefully will drop again
This guy are sick

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Personally, I haven't had a Nintendo system since the Cube. The Wii did nothing for me and the only game I found appealing was Mario Galaxy, whereas the Wii U had a much more appealing line up of games, but while I was considering it, there were always some "obstacles" in getting it. Now when the system is basically discontinued from active support and most devs already abandoned ship, some of it's games got ported over to other systems and we got active PC emulators (which require a monster machine but still). The main appeal of the Switch to me are, indeed, Nintendo's own "high calibre" games like Mario and Zelda, but although the new Mario and Zelda both look great, it's still a bit hard to justify a 300 bucks (which is probably "400 Euros" here) system just for them. Let's say this way - I can play Sonic Racing Transformed and will be able to play Yooka-Laylee on my PC, two "Nintendo quality" games, and I can play The Witcher if I want a "more mature" Zelda and RedOut if I want a "modern F-Zero". Now you can say they aren't substitutes for the "real deal", but there's still the new console system barrier which I haven't gotten since the X360. The portability aspects and things like that aren't that interesting to me, it comes down to what kind of games will it have and if it's cheap enough to warrant buying. With that said, I wish Nintendo success with the new system and that they find a sizable audience and stay in the console business. They're one of the "living legends" of this business with some of the most recognizable mascots and franchises around.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:08 am

Confirmed, the Virtual Console won't be ready for launch with more details coming "later".

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... tch_launch

Also any funds on your 3DS or Wii U eShop account can be carried over to the Switch eShop too. To access the eShop, you need to download an update but thankfully its done in the background.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Bloody hell, this console is feeling more and more rushed every day.

Gonna invest in some new Wii U games I think, I've got a nice little collection going on.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:43 am

Saw the first Switch adverts last night, claiming 27 games available at launch, and trying to put the party feel back into the Nintendo experience, it seems a quick draw and cow milking game are enough to turn a room of 20 somethings into raptures!

The little tablet seemed a bit lost on the table as they were 'playing'.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:01 am

The game cases look ace. Bit like PSP cases, which I love.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:06 am

Yeah I'm a big fan of that, always liked the PSP cases.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:34 am

But dang those cards are tiny, even smaller then the 3DS ones. :lol: Still, least they make up for all that box space with inside art.

There's meant to be a "Nindys/Indie" game showcase on the 28th, which'll probably reveal the rest of the download launch line up.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.