Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Matt_B

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Matt_B » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:33 am

AceGrace wrote:It's not going to be successful if everyone waits to buy it. :lol:
Given the quantities Nintendo are likely to ship on day one, waiting might be the the only option for most people.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:03 pm

Both machine variants still available to pre order from Nintendo, the grey one had sold out, every person I knew who had pre ordered one has cancelled theirs now, so I won't get to try one outside of going into a shop which I rarely do these days.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:11 pm

AceGrace wrote:It's not going to be successful if everyone waits to buy it. :lol:
And Nintendo would probably deserve the results of such an outcome to be fair. It just doesn't scream must-have and their marketing + drip-feeding of any real information is a joke. How many times do they need to be kicked up the arse with reality checks before they take note of how rivals' get people hyped up? I'm not saying that I want Nintendo to become another MS/Sony at all but there's nothing stopping them looking at how Sony really won everybody around with the PS4 launch for example.

I hope the Switch is successful because I would probably buy into it later down the line when interesting games are available. Mario coming at the end of 2017 just seems too far away from the launch :|
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:12 am

Matt_B wrote:
Given the quantities Nintendo are likely to ship on day one, waiting might be the the only option for most people.
Except I heard the sales numbers for PS4 for the first whole month was less than what Nintendo is shipping the first whole month.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:26 am

Nikolai wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
Except I heard the sales numbers for PS4 for the first whole month was less than what Nintendo is shipping the first whole month.
Do you have a source for that?

As best I can find, Sony were claiming 2.1 million PS4 sales at the end of November:

http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release ... 1203b.html

While Nintendo are planning for 2 million by the end of March:

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/31/ninte ... -by-march/

Also, that's not even comparing like with like, as the PS4 had only been out for two weeks in North America, just two days in Europe, and hadn't even launched in the rest of the world by that point. Nintendo are planning to sell less units of the Switch worldwide than that in 29 days.

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:40 pm

Do you know what would be really nice? For those of us who missed out on the Classic Mini Nes, how about a 'Classic Nes Collection' for Switch on disc? Featuring similar menu's/games as found on the Mini Nes Console.

Would be over the moon with that, would happily pay £30 for it a physical release.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Do you have a source for that?

As best I can find, Sony were claiming 2.1 million PS4 sales at the end of November:

http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release ... 1203b.html

While Nintendo are planning for 2 million by the end of March:

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/31/ninte ... -by-march/

Also, that's not even comparing like with like, as the PS4 had only been out for two weeks in North America, just two days in Europe, and hadn't even launched in the rest of the world by that point. Nintendo are planning to sell less units of the Switch worldwide than that in 29 days.
Spawn Wave talks about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEmO33srNk

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:09 pm

Just had an email off amazon saying that they can not guarantee that I will get the switch I pre ordered as they are having trouble with stock & if I do get one it wont be until saturday the 4th at the earliest!

wtf's going on with them lately? I pre ordered it the minute they went live at 7am just after the presentation, so anyone expecting one on launch day might want to get in touch with them!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Nikolai wrote:Spawn Wave talks about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEmO33srNk
So, no official figures, just a YouTuber's opinion, then?

For what it's worth, I don't think we're in for anything like the same sort of shortages that happened with the Classic NES. They've only just managed to ship 1.5 million of those three months after launch, and I think that's genuinely caught them on the hop. Still, 2 million Switches worldwide in the first month doesn't really sound like a lot to me, and there are bound to be some areas where the pre-orders eat up the entire allocation. Still, at least it's a global launch and there's no region locking, so if there's a surplus somewhere you might still be able to get your hands on one.

I'm more than happy to wait, but then I can play Zelda on the Wii U and there aren't really that many other games in the launch lineup that interest me.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:38 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:Just had an email off amazon saying that they can not guarantee that I will get the switch I pre ordered as they are having trouble with stock & if I do get one it wont be until saturday the 4th at the earliest!

wtf's going on with them lately? I pre ordered it the minute they went live at 7am just after the presentation, so anyone expecting one on launch day might want to get in touch with them!
I preordered mine with ShopTo in November to be sure! :-)

Seriously, may be Nintendo keep messing their allocation about?

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Nikolai wrote:Spawn Wave talks about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEmO33srNk
So, no official figures, just a YouTuber's opinion, then?

For what it's worth, I don't think we're in for anything like the same sort of shortages that happened with the Classic NES. They've only just managed to ship 1.5 million of those three months after launch, and I think that's genuinely caught them on the hop. Still, 2 million Switches worldwide in the first month doesn't really sound like a lot to me, and there are bound to be some areas where the pre-orders eat up the entire allocation. Still, at least it's a global launch and there's no region locking, so if there's a surplus somewhere you might still be able to get your hands on one.

I'm more than happy to wait, but then I can play Zelda on the Wii U and there aren't really that many other games in the launch lineup that interest me.
He references official numbers in the video. If you want to have support of a claim, then get that but don't watch said content, then this is futile.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Lacks a Web Browser because it's a "Dedicated Videogame Platform", at least at launch anyway.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... e_platform

Suppose its not the end of the world, but a bit of a shame since the Wii U browser was actually pretty good compared to other consoles.

Puyo Puyo Tetris confirmed for April 28th physically and digitally with digital being the cheaper option.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... ndo_switch
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:03 pm

Well it looks.............interesting

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Well it looks.............interesting

I did have some interest in the Switch but after seeing this it's now making me cringe. I am sick of Nintendo and it's quirks, please let Sega come back into the console market as Nintendo are all but dead to me now.
"Time fades even legend..."

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:07 pm

AceGrace wrote: I preordered mine with ShopTo in November to be sure! :-)
Same here, although I quickly cancelled it when the coloured controller version was announced and pre-ordered that instead. I've had confirmation from ShopTo that I'm definitely going to get it on launch day.

I'm excited about the console in the long term, but I am disappointed with the launch titles. I've gone with 'Super Bomberman R' (£40) and 'Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild' (£50) - they should keep me busy until something better is released. I'm VERY excited about the arcade conversion of 'Racing Apex' but that looks some way off yet.

My only real gripe is the current price of software... £50-£60 for physical releases is just plain greedy! I'm sure they'll come down to £30-£40 after launch, but at the moment it is just ridiculous.