Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Beans

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by The Beans » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:41 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:People buy Ninteno machines to play Nintendo games.
Primarily because there's not much else in the way of choice. Sales of titles on other systems may not be so high, but that's because there is that choice, so sales are split across several titles. With Nintendo systems, you buy Nintendo games because most of the rest is shovelware
People do tend to buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo exclusive though. That's the primary reason for purchasing. Then the attach rate is driven up by the inevitable weak third party library.

Nintendo are sending mixed messages imo. On the one hand the Switch does appear to be just another Nintendo fan device so far, which implies they're happy with their third place position in the console market. On the other, everything about the Switch, according to Nintendo, is designed to avoid the disappointment they experienced with the Wii U, a console that only sold predominantly to the fans. Go figure.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:So, let me get this straight. You have to pay a PSN/XBL style sub to play online and all you get is a one month rental of a game and none of your existing e-shop stuff comes over.

Microsoft lost an entire generation over less.
well at least the xbox gets lots of continued support from third party developers.... lets see how that lasts for on the Switch. :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:41 pm

greenberet79 wrote:Interesting article in Wired - https://www.wired.com/2017/01/nintendo-switch-analysis/

'This is the first Nintendo console launch since the GameCube in 2001 in which the company’s top priority is die-hard fans.'

Weird that they're targeting a games console primarily at fans of an 80s action film.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:49 pm

You non Scandinavian Nintendo fans don't know how lucky you are. Retail price for Switch starts at 420 USD here, for what Americans pay merely 299 USD for. Meanwhile, PS4 and Xbone retails for almost American price...

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 am

Nikolai wrote:You non Scandinavian Nintendo fans don't know how lucky you are. Retail price for Switch starts at 420 USD here, for what Americans pay merely 299 USD for. Meanwhile, PS4 and Xbone retails for almost American price...
That's Brexit that is.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:36 am

It's a snip at a mere $469.95 here, not that I was ever planning on buying it at launch. Maybe next Christmas if it's got half a dozen games I want by then.

David

Post by David » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:39 am

Maybe Nintendo should just go back to focusing on making a decent console that isn't entirely based around stupid gimmicks.

Another product destined to be clogging up cash convertor within a year

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 am

David wrote:Maybe Nintendo should just go back to focusing on making a decent console that isn't entirely based around stupid gimmicks.

Another product destined to be clogging up cash convertor within a year
I would agree in the sense that their initial pitch was spot-on. Simple, clear, concise...it's a home gaming system that you can snap controllers on top and take on the go.

My biggest disappointment was seeing how much time of their most recent direct was spent on pointless tech included in the Joy Con. Advanced rumble, motion sensing, that stupid camera...just when you think they've nailed it with a straightforward product, they start adding all this needless sh!te.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:45 pm

True, but at least now they're not forcing you to use motion controls in every game, its merely an option. For Wii games, most of the time you had no other choice but now with titles like Zelda and even Arms (Yes, apparently you can play it with a Pro Controller) you can use traditional controller options. Maybe some gyro involved, but still mostly a traditional controller if you prefer.

It's scary to think that Hyrule Warriors had an option for Wiimote and nunchuk motion controls that nobody dare tried.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:31 pm

ALK wrote: It's scary to think that Hyrule Warriors had an option for Wiimote and nunchuk motion controls that nobody dare tried.... :lol:
that makes me want to play the game more

Actually
After Samurai warriors on Wii maybe not
That game is tiring

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:26 am

Rayne wrote: I would agree in the sense that their initial pitch was spot-on. Simple, clear, concise...it's a home gaming system that you can snap controllers on top and take on the go.
Surely it's a bulky handheld that can dock with your tv. If it's a home gaming system it's woefully underpowered for this gen. I know the fanboys don't want that to be true (the reaction to the Titanfall dev's brutal honesty regarding the system is damn funny to read) but that's obviously the case. As a handheld though, it's pretty decent imo. Assuming you like Mario and Zelda, have no interest in online multiplayer and missed out on some big name 360/PS3 games last gen.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Pre ordered for my son. He got a lot out of the wii u so he should enjoy this too.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:22 pm

I've got a pre order in but may cancel it yet & just buy when Mario kart comes out, I'm not a massive Zelda fan so the launch line up really killed any buzz for me, bomberman will be decent but its not really a system seller is it & the other 3 games are crap, I'm hoping Nintendo show some amazing VC support for launch along with a propper account system otherwise ill probably just wait :(
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:25 pm

So Nintendorks have announced that the new Zelda game will be the last game they develop for the Wii-U. I think that for all.of us that backed Nintendork we have been right royally shafted. Why the hell would I buy another system from them when they do this?
Short life span looks to be a Nintendork trademark... He'll, I'm almost tempted to get an Xbox One now!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Well, no one knows what the life span of this thing will be. Might just go the handheld route of releasing new models and last as long as the handhelds for all we know (3DS enters it's 6th year this year)....... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.