Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

samhain81

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by samhain81 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:23 am

Online subscription service? Haha

If breath of the wild gets cancelled for the Wii u, they can kiss my ass with the switch

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:26 am

The online stuff currently doesn't sound great but I don't do a lot of online gaming so it's not a real issue for me.
Zelda day one for me, Mario Kart in April, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Bomberman, street fighter 2, nes and SNEs games. Plenty of legacy stuff for me. We'll probably cover it all a little more depth in next issue's news when Nick is back from the press event today.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:21 am

Seen bomberman
Its seems the camera ISNT STILL!!

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:57 am

Not seen the full presentation but I've seen a few of the trailers, Mario looks utterly epic.

I doubt I'll buy one at launch, I want to get the Wii U version of Zelda first, and I've still plenty of Wii U and even Wii gaming to do, so makes no sense for me to buy the new console now.

Price seems fair though, the PS4 was £350 and the Xbox One was £430. Yes the Switch is underpowered compared to it's rivals, that's why it's considerably cheaper. If it needs to be cheaper still the market will likely make it so in time.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:59 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The online stuff currently doesn't sound great but I don't do a lot of online gaming so it's not a real issue for me.
Zelda day one for me, Mario Kart in April, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Bomberman, street fighter 2, nes and SNEs games. Plenty of legacy stuff for me. We'll probably cover it all a little more depth in next issue's news when Nick is back from the press event today.
Was there something in UK?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:51 am

The concept of the system seems reasonable to me - console quality gaming on the go, with the option to dock it and hook it up to the big screen and get some extra performance - and the premise of Nintendo's quality games and 3rd party offerings on nostalgia-inducting cartridges somewhat appealing, the pricing scheme, though, is another matter. I don't really see how this could fly off the shelves at 300 bucks with no game bundled, for that to happen it would need more graphical muscle to please the "tech freaks" and even then it would still be somewhat niche in it's reach. In my opinion, the less enthusiastic, "casual" demographic will not be willing to shell out for it at that price, and that demographic is what made the Wii so big in the first place. So this comes across as more of a "fancy toy" for the Nintendo fan. Indeed, just a small look at the selection of upcomming games screams all but "Wii U 2". Despite the new, more appealing package, it will have somewhat of a battle with, directly or indirectly, competing portable devices like smartphones, tablets and laptops.

With that said - whoa, open world Mario! Looks like my ideas of a "GTA meets Mario" kinda thing became reality... :wink:

Zelda looks nice too, that large, explorable world can make you feel like a kid again.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:10 am

outdated_gamer wrote: Looks like my ideas of a "GTA meets Mario" kinda thing became reality... :wink:
But not really.
Zelda looks nice too, that large, explorable world can make you feel like a kid again.
Only if you've been living in a Nintendo bubble where large, explorable worlds haven't already been done to death.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:18 am

The Beans wrote:
Only if you've been living in a Nintendo bubble where large, explorable worlds haven't already been done to death.
Actually, this is the first Zelda after a long while that I find appealing, also due to the large, sandboxy open world it has. For sure, there were many open world action games made in the past few years, but let me be honest here and say that things like Skyrim, Fallout, Assassin's Creed and similar leave me very cold and un-interested, but with Zelda you know they will invest their game design mastery (if often marred by some archaic decisions, like it's common for Japanese devs) and attention to detail and make a believable fantasy world. The fact that they're making a open-world Zelda game with a focus on exploration and physics-driven gameplay is a good reason to be excited, and I don't even consider myself a huge Zelda fan.

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:40 am

I rarely play console games online, mainly do online gaming with a pc. I usually look for single player experiences with consoles, that said, I have played some online games on console and I was sort of looking forward to trying splatoon on switch online. I am hoping they revise or overhaul their online approach ,its not really a question of money but if the system isn't set up for ease of use and is needlessly convoluted that will be off putting for sure...
I doubt the battery life thing will be an issue for me think I have mentioned I only usually play one - two hours at a time unless playing a huge rpg, I am rarely commuting for longer than 2 hours so if I run out of juice then I will just pick up where I left off when back at home. the tech demo stuff doesn't interest me too much (arms and 1,2 switch) it will be fun to play for a bit and nice to see what you can do with it but beyond that won't get much long term play. think it will be something I will look back on when it becomes retro as the entry point for the console as a fun demo. i'm hyped for mario, smt and looking forward to seeing more on xenoblade, fire emblem. zelda looks great, was considering the wii u version originally but will probably go for the switch version. bit disappointed with the lack of 3rd party triple A games, its not what I am buying it for personally but the lack of support is a bit of a concern... where was assassins creed? it was a bit confusing to me, they said 80 games are in development for switch but I didnt really get any idea what type of games these will be? virtual console games? just dance style games? sports titles? there was only half a dozen or so really big games shown there, where are the rest? why were they not showing them at the presentation? I mean I didn't expect 80 games to be shown but would have expected another 10 or 20 to be talked about.
I will be getting it at some point, probably when it hits the sweet spot for price, not too concerned about getting it before stock runs out, I can wait. I think the rrp is decent though, its very reasonable.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:41 am

Nintendo Switch will have a cow milking simulator:
http://kotaku.com/the-nintendo-switch-a ... 1791160696
Game of the year! 8)
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:48 am

The Beans wrote:
ulala wrote: Voice chat on your mobile phone? (This is utter utter madness)
Yeah it's bonkers for sure. Nintendo have never really understood the online console side of things though. Any of it. In-game voicechat on a portable home console through a mobile phone app sounds superbly convoluted and sums up Nintendo's half arsed approach to online gaming quite nicely.

Not half arsed. Family friendly.

Don't forget both the original Famicom and Super Famicom had online services at a time when PC gaming was only just starting to go online.

I'd rather play Nintendo online than be subjected to some of the awful abuse I've heard on 360 servers.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:12 pm

merman wrote:
The Beans wrote:
Yeah it's bonkers for sure. Nintendo have never really understood the online console side of things though. Any of it. In-game voicechat on a portable home console through a mobile phone app sounds superbly convoluted and sums up Nintendo's half arsed approach to online gaming quite nicely.

Don't forget both the original Famicom and Super Famicom had online services at a time when PC gaming was only just starting to go online.

I'd rather play Nintendo online than be subjected to some of the awful abuse I've heard on 360 servers.
Merman, you're talking defensive fanboy rubbish and you know it. There's nothing "family friendly" about having a kid use a mobile phone to chat in an online game.
And on the 360 you can just mute everybody in the entire world and just talk to your friends, as you well know. :roll:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:30 pm

Summary of thoughts:

- Not really interested in updated ports of stuff like MK8. Great for those who missed the game (which may actually be a lot of people to be fair) but ports aren't going to be a system seller for me.

- Zelda...just going to get it for the Wii-U instead. If they can it to make people buy the Switch then I won't ever buy one on principle.

- Mario Odyssey looks interesting of only for the "WTF is going on" vibe, especially with the realistic NY setting? Looks fun to play though.

- Paid-for online...doesn't bother me as I don't play online anyway. Worked out pretty well that one of the biggest potential gripes doesn't affect me.

- Fire Emblem Warriors is probably the most interesting title for me as I love both FE and Warriors so this could be great. Hardly anything shown though! I suspect this game will take forever to actually be released...

- Xenoblade looks like a great game but I haven't played the other two yet (I only have the original). Also, the characters look a lot more kiddy and anime-styled than the previous installments. Not really a moan as such but...yeah, not really impressive for me personally!

- Sonic Mania is my type of thing but it will be on PS4 anyway so not a Switch-seller unfortunately.

- Ultra Street Fighter II...LOL! Simulataneously squeeze yet another version of SFII out (an updated version of the old HD Remix no less) AND disappoint those that thought the Switch might get SFV. I did like HD Remix for what it was though and it's crazy to see that Capcom have included Violent Ken from SNK Vs Capcom: SVC Chaos. To be fair, as bizarre and possibly underwhelming as this one is, I would still buy and play it as I love SF and fighting games.

Overall, some good stuff that interests me personally (Mario, Fire Emblem, Street Fighter) but I'm not sure the Switch will be a day one "must have" for me based on what we've seen. Really depends on how much of the good stuff is around at launch.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:15 pm

merman wrote:
The Beans wrote:

Exactly. I don't think Nintendo would ever do a voice chat to let the kids be subject to swears and such. I don't think the mobile thing sounds too bad, I mean you can send invites and session times with friends via the phone instead of hoping they'll log into their console to see the message. Either way, just something else to plug your headphones into, right?

I don't think the rumors over the last year have done Nintendo many favors in some respects. I'm sure many were hoping for that dream £200-ish and dream launch titles of Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and such on day 1 leaving the expectations perhaps a little too high for some. I was more then happy the rumors didnt catch onto the likes of Fire Emblem Warriors, Arms, or the prediction we'd be swamped with Wii U ports. As for the lack of some titles or 3rd party, they do have to save something for E3 in 5 months beyond new details for existing games, so I'm hopeful there's more to come (Come on Retro Studios, what on earth have you been working on all this time?).
Subscribers will get to download and play a free Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.
Do kind of hope that's mistranslated because I see no reason they can't give away a VC game to keep every month in exchange for a sub when the others offer so much more. They wouldnt give away retail games, at least not this early, but certainly a VC title even if they chose which one. Who knows, maybe they will change it after the negativity for the sub news.

Speaking of VC, online SNES games? The likes of Super Mario Kart with online multiplayer and even single player games with leaderboards where you can compare completion times with friends would be fine by me with a sub. Just really hope that all my Wii U VC downloads can be redownloaded automatically (i.e no system transfer, just log in and it'll know what you previously downloaded) even for a small fee like Wii to Wii U, otherwise that really would be the most backwards move for them.

Popped into Game once again for preorder stuff once again. They happily changed my preorder to be the one with the Red and Blue Joycons (As they told me, anyone who preordered before the presentation will get the grey ones unless they come in-store to say so.). Decided to preorder Zelda as well and then the store guy told me there's a limited edition coming. Includes Game, CD Soundtrack and a Master Sword statue (Think there was mention of a Map) at the scary price of £90. Figured screw it, that and console will have to do. Guy did warn me they have no idea what the stock situation will be other then "Knowing Nintendo..." but I'm most likely going to the store day one at opening time.

Just confirmed as I type this, a Direct is coming next week entirely focused on FB Warriors.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:23 pm

http://www.game.co.uk/en/games/nintendo ... endoSwitch

Games from £40 up to £70?
wow, bit steep

After sleep, (been ill, suffering from lots of lack of sleep)
A lot of ports of WiiU games for full price
GIMMICKY NEW IP!!! fun for fice minutes (that boxing one)
GIMMICKY NEW IP!!! Fun for five minutes (that 2-1 switch)
New Zelda is ment to run a bit better than the WiiU version, still £20 more
32gb on board memory expandablie
Mini cards with games on seem to be a good idea
Third parties dont have much faith in it (hence why Capcom made another new SF2 rather than porting SFV or the new MVC, EA, meh lets just bung Fifa on it
Oh look more ports of years old games
Controllers cost...............
Paying for online seems to be a thing with all machines, just hope Nintendos isnt just paying for a censored experance
YAY NEW BOMBERMAN!! It looks a bit naff, more akin to the N64 ones
The controllers are a nice idea,
No real "Oh look so mature and adult" looking games that these "I R TEH HARDCORE GAMERZ!!!!!" play (good thing?)

Pre order cancelled