Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:19 pm

imo, Nintendo will never go back to the competitive console hardware race, it's just not worth it for them. They have to differentiate themselves for success and, as the Wii showed, it can work well too. Just like any other big company, Nintendo are in it for the profits, so they'll make what they think would sell best. I understand those who would rather have just one powerful home console or just a solid handheld, but look at it this way, they're aiming at young people who are a lot on the move and would like to game whilst doing so, if you personally don't fall into this category doesn't mean there's not a huge potential audience for that kind of thing. The Wii U obviously didn't work out for them to desired effect, but this can be attributed to numerous factors. I think with the right marketing (where they seem to be spot on for now), developer support (also promising), good/affordable pricing and maybe some "word of mouth" (the "cultural phenomenon" thing that happens periodically - think of things like "Walkman", "Nintendo", "Game Boy", "PlayStation", "Wii", "iPhone", etc - "Switch" could be the next big thing for all we may know) it could end up being a success story for Nintendo. But of course noone can really predict the future. If anything, the gaming business can be very unpredictable, which I'm sure all companies which deal with gaming hardware and software know all too well as there simply is no company that would not have had it's ups and downs.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:50 pm

Most of the younger members of my family only use tablets now and don't have laptops or PCs.

They only want Facebook, Youtube, and Ebay.

An all in one tablet that you can lie on the couch with to do that, and then plug into the stand to play games on the TV would interest them, in fact they have been talking about it.

One of my cousins posed an interesting question. " will it have a new version of pokemon go ".

Interesting, imagine a more fleshed out verison that you can collect outside and then use the big screen at home fo organising and stuff like pokemon battle on the gamecube.

Watching youtiube or streaming a movie on the way home, walking in the door and popping it into the stand and continue on the big screen.

Imagine if you can buy a 2nd or 3rd docking station and playing in the main room and then just popping it out and then just taking it to the bedroom and putting it into a 2nd docking station.

Starting to see the possibilities and upsides of this and looking forward to it.

ulala

Post by ulala » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:05 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Most of the younger members of my family only use tablets now and don't have laptops or PCs.

An all in one tablet that you can lie on the couch with to do that, and then plug into the stand to play games on the TV would interest them, in fact they have been talking about it.

One of my cousins posed an interesting question. " will it have a new version of pokemon go ".

Interesting, imagine a more fleshed out verison that you can collect outside and then use the big screen at home fo organising and stuff like pokemon battle on the gamecube.

Watching youtiube or streaming a movie on the way home, walking in the door and popping it into the stand and continue on the big screen.

Imagine if you can buy a 2nd or 3rd docking station and playing in the main room and then just popping it out and then just taking it to the bedroom and putting it into a 2nd docking station.

Starting to see the possibilities and upsides of this and looking forward to it.
It will be highly doubtful that the switch will be better for YouTube, Ebay, Facebook and twitter when compared to an ipad or smartphone - which of course you will still have.

How many times have i used the Wii U / Xbox browser? Zero, and i wouldnt expect it to change. Those devices are already better, could you really go back to surfing on a 720p screen when other devices are already owned, and better?

Pokemon Go worked well, as it used a device we all already have - our smartphone. It captured the casual market because of this. How many of those would invest in a Switch? less than 1% of 1%.

Watching youtube or streaming a movie on my way home? Already do it with a smartphone or ipad. I dont need another device to carry.

Imagine playing a game and them moving to the bedroom to continue? We already have that, its the Wii U. Though admittedly the range was awful. Buying more docking stations to do this seems a poor solution. Why not pick the whole lot up and plug it into the tv? Or why not do away with the docking station altogether - a cable/ dongle with a usb to HDMI lead would be absolutely fine.

I love nintendo stuff, i have the lot including the wii u.

But i just cannot see whats so different here with the switch. The Wii U didnt sell because people didnt (en mass) want a device you could use off of your big TV, or to play asymmetrical games. It was a gimmick that was crow-bared into a lot of decent games.

I resented paying for the controller when i just wanted the Wii U.

Now with the switch, im in the same predicament. Now im having to pay for a handheld and screen that will never leave its dock!

As for if this can replace the 3ds range, it has no chance.

Ive seen how 3ds units are treated by the masses in the school yard, or on the bus. They are tough things, but also cheap things. There is a reason why nintendo released the 2ds, to make it even tougher and cheaper to replace when it gets broken.

The switch will not survive one drop and thats £300+ down the drain.

Ive still yet to see a case for it! without a clamshell, what on earth is it going to look like?

And battery life - it could be anything from 2 hours - or worse!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:03 pm

ulala wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Most of the younger members of my family only use tablets now and don't have laptops or PCs.

It will be highly doubtful that the switch will be better for YouTube, Ebay, Facebook and twitter when compared to an ipad or smartphone - which of course you will still have.

How many times have i used the Wii U / Xbox browser? Zero, and i wouldnt expect it to change. Those devices are already better, could you really go back to surfing on a 720p screen when other devices are already owned, and better?

Pokemon Go worked well, as it used a device we all already have - our smartphone. It captured the casual market because of this. How many of those would invest in a Switch? less than 1% of 1%.

Watching youtube or streaming a movie on my way home? Already do it with a smartphone or ipad. I dont need another device to carry.

Imagine playing a game and them moving to the bedroom to continue? We already have that, its the Wii U. Though admittedly the range was awful. Buying more docking stations to do this seems a poor solution. Why not pick the whole lot up and plug it into the tv? Or why not do away with the docking station altogether - a cable/ dongle with a usb to HDMI lead would be absolutely fine.

I love nintendo stuff, i have the lot including the wii u.

But i just cannot see whats so different here with the switch. The Wii U didnt sell because people didnt (en mass) want a device you could use off of your big TV, or to play asymmetrical games. It was a gimmick that was crow-bared into a lot of decent games.

I resented paying for the controller when i just wanted the Wii U.

Now with the switch, im in the same predicament. Now im having to pay for a handheld and screen that will never leave its dock!

As for if this can replace the 3ds range, it has no chance.

Ive seen how 3ds units are treated by the masses in the school yard, or on the bus. They are tough things, but also cheap things. There is a reason why nintendo released the 2ds, to make it even tougher and cheaper to replace when it gets broken.

The switch will not survive one drop and thats £300+ down the drain.

Ive still yet to see a case for it! without a clamshell, what on earth is it going to look like?

And battery life - it could be anything from 2 hours - or worse!
Stop babbling, I listed reasons I was interested in it. Your desire to dissect those reasons have no impact on me whatsoever.

Especially considering you have missed some of the main reasons I like the ideas, the whole different room thing was because I did not like having to use the tablet in another room, having a 2nd docking station means I can move from downstairs to the bedroom and carry on playing on a big tv and all I have to do is carry a tablet. Moving the entire lot as you say is a bit much when you have it all wired in and tidied.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:21 pm

ulala wrote:
.....snipped out the waffling.....

I don't get it, why are people like yourself and General Opulence on here, so passionately arguing against it when you clearly aren't interested in it, and clearly don't understand the reasons and drivers behind it?

Time to get some hobbies perhaps?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:24 am

I'm certainly interested enough to want to learn more. I really like the idea of this. I'm not a massive 'cutting edge' fan, I just want a good games machine. It doesn't have to have the most under the hood and all that. Just a good machine, with good games. And I really like the idea I could have a portable games and home console in the one unit.
I never thought about your idea of additional docking stations for the different rooms, great idea :)

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:34 pm

kiwimike wrote:I'm certainly interested enough to want to learn more. I really like the idea of this. I'm not a massive 'cutting edge' fan, I just want a good games machine. It doesn't have to have the most under the hood and all that. Just a good machine, with good games.
I completely agree with this. It's a bit sad to me that so many people are just focussing on specs and basing their interest on that, as though that's the measure of a gaming experience and not the actual gameplay itself.

It's no good saying things like "I can get a tablet for £X, and I already have a PS4, so why would I pay more for a Swtich?" How are you going to play all the Swtich exclusives wihtotut a Switch? This kind of thinking implies specs are first and foremost and the gameplay experience is secondary, as though games are interchangeable and just as good as each other.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ulala

Post by ulala » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:27 am

antsbull wrote:
ulala wrote:
.....snipped out the waffling.....

I don't get it, why are people like yourself and General Opulence on here, so passionately arguing against it when you clearly aren't interested in it, and clearly don't understand the reasons and drivers behind it?

Time to get some hobbies perhaps?
Have to love this place. You dare have a different opinion and you get accused of waffling - or told to get a new hobby!

I'm interested in Nintendo. I have owned every console (bar the virtual boy) they have released including the Wii U. If they made a console that played the latest zelda and mario i would buy it.

But they have made another mistake, releasing an "all in one" home console and tablet that misses both targets.

It is amazing that the same arguments people were using to bash the Wii U are now being used to praise the Switch!

I want a home console, i do not want a handheld. Im not paying for tech (such as a screen) and those removable side pads that i do not want or need when all i want is upgraded hardware to , you know, play games on my big TV.

Why cant they release a cut down SKU that is only a box with a HDMi out on it - i would buy that.

But just looking at the thing, its a mess. For every argument that people say its great, all i see is the opposite.

Terrible Ergonomics
Slow tech (though thats not everything)
Battery life of the three or 4 batteries it needs - and how many charge cycles they can handle
Looks like it will smash to bits after a drop
No case at all
No d-pad
Small game file sizes (though its not everything, it will mean no ports of AAA from PS4 and XB1)

Can i really be so wrong?

I know its not for everyone, but they have made yet another very niche console.

For the people who didnt own a wii u, why is the switch suddenly interesting?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:46 am

Thats ok Ulala, what you just did there is fine. You listed genuine reasons you do not want it.

What you did with my post was try to tell me my reasons for wanting it were pointless and tried to argue why I should not want it for those reasosns.

See the difference.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:55 am

Just going to go through some points you made, don't take this as me just hating on your opinion straight off as there is a lot of unknowns about the switch and that can go either way. Whether that be the way you are thinking or the way i am. So i am doing this purely as a conversational basis.

Terrible Ergonomics

People said the same about the Wii U, but it turned out to be fairly comfortable. Nintendo basically invented ergonomic control systems for gaming, so i am sure they know what they are doing.

Slow tech (though thats not everything)

As you say, this isn't everything, Power has never won a console "war." While i am not saying the Switch will by default, i am saying don't count Nintendo out.

Battery life of the three or 4 batteries it needs - and how many charge cycles they can handle

This we don't know, Conflicting reports state either 3 hours while some say it will last 10 hours. (For the main screen) We shall see. I reckon it will likely rest at around 5 hours. If Nintendo keep their form in regards to the Wii U pro controller then the controller battery life will barely be a factor (it has a crazy good battery life)

Impact damage will always be a factor, particular direct, piercing damage, However Nintendo have a solid track record for build quality, i can't see them releasing something that will smash to pieces easily.

No case at all

Oh, there will be. Sold seperately of course.

No d-pad

The left face buttons double up as this. They had to design it this way to make it symettrical. I can't see it making too much of a difference considering most games will use an analogue stick these days and for those that don't you can always use another controller. Don't underestimate nintendo in releasing seperate additional pads that could be put there instead with a more traditional controller also.

Small game file sizes (though its not everything, it will mean no ports of AAA from PS4 and XB1)

The cards use for games can be capable of high capacity, Not to mention external hard drives can be used also. AAA games are also getting a lot smaller. Titanfall 2 for instance is 36gb, not something out of the realms of possibility in terms for size.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:30 am

ulala wrote:I want a home console, i do not want a handheld. Im not paying for tech (such as a screen) and those removable side pads that i do not want or need when all i want is upgraded hardware to , you know, play games on my big TV.

Why cant they release a cut down SKU that is only a box with a HDMi out on it - i would buy that.

No case at all
The latter points are somewhat negated by your first, so they won't be issues for you. I can see them doing a second SKU of handheld/home version only. They've always revised hardware in the past, especially with their portables. Selling a cheap bundle without the dock is an obvious quick win, possibly with a later revision welding the controllers on. A home version without the screen etc is potentially another cost reducer, so I can see that happening.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:14 am

I think people are selling the tech rather short, and I'm pretty confident it'll be up to running ports of most AAA games so long as the developers can be bothered. Let's face it, the GPU in the Tegra X1 (let alone the next-generation Tegra, which I'm still hoping they're going for) is theoretically about three times as powerful as the one in my Surface Pro 3; that'll run nearly all the AAA PC games I've got, with most of the exceptions being the games that lack a suitable Low setting, such as Witcher 3. Even so, games like Civ 6, X-Com 2, Elite: Dangerous, GTA V and, of course, Skyrim will all run on it, and if the Switch is similarly restricted to games of the latter calibre, I can live with that. My only real worries are whether Nintendo gimp it elsewhere in the spec, or act in a fashion that discourages developers as they've done in the past despite necessity suggesting that they really need to get their act together.

Rumours have it that the default cartridge size is going to be 16GB, which is perhaps a little on the small side for games that use the full size of a Blu Ray disc, but probably not to the extent that they couldn't be made to fit by downgrading the pre-rendered video segments that make up the bulk of a modern game. Larger cartridges will presumably be available too, although I'd expect them to carry a premium price and be reserved for games that really need them.

ulala

Post by ulala » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:24 am

Grizzly wrote:People said the same about the Wii U, but it turned out to be fairly comfortable. Nintendo basically invented ergonomic control systems for gaming, so i am sure they know what they are doing.

As you say, this isn't everything, Power has never won a console "war." While i am not saying the Switch will by default, i am saying don't count Nintendo out.

This we don't know, Conflicting reports state either 3 hours while some say it will last 10 hours. (For the main screen) We shall see. I reckon it will likely rest at around 5 hours. If Nintendo keep their form in regards to the Wii U pro controller then the controller battery life will barely be a factor (it has a crazy good battery life)

Impact damage will always be a factor, particular direct, piercing damage, However Nintendo have a solid track record for build quality, i can't see them releasing something that will smash to pieces easily.

The left face buttons double up as this. They had to design it this way to make it symettrical. I can't see it making too much of a difference considering most games will use an analogue stick these days and for those that don't you can always use another controller. Don't underestimate nintendo in releasing seperate additional pads that could be put there instead with a more traditional controller also.

The cards use for games can be capable of high capacity, Not to mention external hard drives can be used also. AAA games are also getting a lot smaller. Titanfall 2 for instance is 36gb, not something out of the realms of possibility in terms for size.
Thank you for taking the time out to reply to my concerns.

I get that Nintendo usually make pretty ergonomic things, but they also have made hand crippling devices. The z trigger on the Gamecube pad is horrid (but i do love the pad in general), and the GBA SP crippled my hands with the l & r buttons.

Even though all we have is the video, the removal of the two side pods and then holding them horizontally looked very awkward indeed, they look absolutely tiny. Do they honestly look comfortable to you when used in this way? The introduction of the joycon looked almost as bad ergonomically too.

We do have little evidence on better life, as you say between 3 and 10 hours. But i think its fair to say you will not get 10 hours of gaming out of this - especially with a half decent lighting.

You hand picked a nintendo device with great battery life - the pro controller, but surely a better comparison is the Wii U pad itself. It has an awful battery life. truly terrible. I hope the switch isnt that bad, but battery tech has hardly advanced much in 3 years.

Its certainly going to be interesting!

I hope they bring out another SKU with just the base for those who do not want a handheld device, to allow me to continue to play Nintendo games.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:43 am

ulala wrote:
Grizzly wrote:People said the same about the Wii U, but it turned out to be fairly comfortable. Nintendo basically invented ergonomic control systems for gaming, so i am sure they know what they are doing.

Thank you for taking the time out to reply to my concerns.

I get that Nintendo usually make pretty ergonomic things, but they also have made hand crippling devices. The z trigger on the Gamecube pad is horrid (but i do love the pad in general), and the GBA SP crippled my hands with the l & r buttons.

Even though all we have is the video, the removal of the two side pods and then holding them horizontally looked very awkward indeed, they look absolutely tiny. Do they honestly look comfortable to you when used in this way? The introduction of the joycon looked almost as bad ergonomically too.

We do have little evidence on better life, as you say between 3 and 10 hours. But i think its fair to say you will not get 10 hours of gaming out of this - especially with a half decent lighting.

You hand picked a nintendo device with great battery life - the pro controller, but surely a better comparison is the Wii U pad itself. It has an awful battery life. truly terrible. I hope the switch isnt that bad, but battery tech has hardly advanced much in 3 years.

Its certainly going to be interesting!

I hope they bring out another SKU with just the base for those who do not want a handheld device, to allow me to continue to play Nintendo games.
In regards to the pro controller i was referring to the removable pads rather than the screen itself. Which i can totally see as being customisable with seperate attachments being made available in special editions. They have patented this already and there has been a fan made illustration of the potential.

That is a license to print money right there and in theory wouldn't be amazingly expensive to pull off. It would certainly address those D-Pad concerns.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

ulala

Post by ulala » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:53 am

Grizzly wrote:In regards to the pro controller i was referring to the removable pads rather than the screen itself. Which i can totally see as being customisable with seperate attachments being made available in special editions. They have patented this already and there has been a fan made illustration of the potential.

That is a license to print money right there and in theory wouldn't be amazingly expensive to pull off. It would certainly address those D-Pad concerns.
Ive had a look, and whilst they look nice, wouldnt they be tailored to only one game?