Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

rocky1980

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:22 am

It all comes down to price, in the end people will buy it if its cheap enough even if they dont really want one
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:11 pm

rocky1980 wrote:It all comes down to price, in the end people will buy it if its cheap enough even if they dont really want one
I genuinely think it's going to be a 50:50. Price and battery are going to be equal factors for me. If it doesn't hold up to 5 hrs use, I think that'll hinder sales as much as the price.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:29 pm

If it's under £250 I will get it, anymore and I will wait. BUT I will only get it on release if it has Mario or Mario Kart.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:33 pm

LonDan wrote:
rocky1980 wrote:It all comes down to price, in the end people will buy it if its cheap enough even if they dont really want one
I genuinely think it's going to be a 50:50. Price and battery are going to be equal factors for me. If it doesn't hold up to 5 hrs use, I think that'll hinder sales as much as the price.
I don't think so. Most people use portable gaming during their commute, so 2-3 hours is enough to cater for that in the majority of cases. Outside of that, there's usually a power source at hand in the home/office/uni/train/whatever.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:48 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
LonDan wrote:
I don't think so. Most people use portable gaming during their commute, so 2-3 hours is enough to cater for that in the majority of cases. Outside of that, there's usually a power source at hand in the home/office/uni/train/whatever.
Regardless, it will be the perception rather than the real world performance of the battery that influences consumers. If websites and printed media are full of "but one of the negatives is that the battery on the Switch is comparable to the Game Gear" then it will stick and likely affect sales.

Given the reveal and all these handsome so-and-so's that were running wild and free with it, I suspect the battery will be strong. The dude travelling on the flight hinted at this. He's in the terminal waiting for the flight and then on a plane - probably the worst place to find a working plug yet he's pictured gleefully playing Skyrim throughout and also in the taxi. Would be a bit shambolic for them to have pictured that, only to find out the unit wouldn't perform like that in a million years.

I don't expect Nintendo to screw it up though.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:18 pm

January 12th's when Nintendo will announce the other stuff like price, games, etc. They'll also be demoing it a few days later in Japan. That should be great if they do a mass demo tour like with the Wii everywhere else.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:39 am

so I got thinking about the about the dock not providing additional hardware to the console. it does provide additional power though... so what is to say that the NS has a power 'switch' when docked and when mobile? it could activate and draw more power which could put the console into high performance settings when docked, and when mobile it goes into a lower settings mode to save on battery and because the graphical enhancements will be harder to spot on a smaller screen (lower res just one possibility?)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:54 am

I'd expect the battery life to be very usage dependent, like any tablet. You'll possibly get 9-10 hours out of it if you're playing games with relatively basic graphics, but it'll go down to 3-4 if you're hammering it with something really intensive.

So, five hours of Skyrim? No chance. eight hours of, say, Fire Emblem might still be possible though.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:50 am

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... uch-screen

According to the same sources that leaked the information about the removable controllers etc, the Switch will feature a 720p 6.2" multi touch screen.
Analog wrote:so I got thinking about the about the dock not providing additional hardware to the console. it does provide additional power though... so what is to say that the NS has a power 'switch' when docked and when mobile? it could activate and draw more power which could put the console into high performance settings when docked, and when mobile it goes into a lower settings mode to save on battery and because the graphical enhancements will be harder to spot on a smaller screen (lower res just one possibility?)
Given the above (720p screen on the tablet part) you might not be far wrong there.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:05 am

learnedrobb wrote:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... uch-screen

According to the same sources that leaked the information about the removable controllers etc, the Switch will feature a 720p 6.2" multi touch screen.
Analog wrote:so I got thinking about the about the dock not providing additional hardware to the console. it does provide additional power though... so what is to say that the NS has a power 'switch' when docked and when mobile? it could activate and draw more power which could put the console into high performance settings when docked, and when mobile it goes into a lower settings mode to save on battery and because the graphical enhancements will be harder to spot on a smaller screen (lower res just one possibility?)
Given the above (720p screen on the tablet part) you might not be far wrong there.
It could work like that, but it's unlikely that developers would be happy having to make their games work on two different spec levels. More likely, the Switch would just render to the same resolution internally and scale to the differing resolutions of its own screen or the TV as required. The power use is much the same, but it's a heck of a lot easier to code things that way.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:35 am

Prices seems to be really important to folk with the Switch.

I don't recall similar discussions around the PS4 and Xbone - but feel free to correct me.

It does seems like there is a perception that Nintendo should be more budget, than perhaps Sony or Microsoft.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:05 am

Matt_B wrote:
learnedrobb wrote:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... uch-screen

It could work like that, but it's unlikely that developers would be happy having to make their games work on two different spec levels. More likely, the Switch would just render to the same resolution internally and scale to the differing resolutions of its own screen or the TV as required. The power use is much the same, but it's a heck of a lot easier to code things that way.
but isn't that what devs are going to have to do with the scorpio vs the baseline xbone and the pro vs the baseline ps4?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:46 am

Analog wrote:
Matt_B wrote:It could work like that, but it's unlikely that developers would be happy having to make their games work on two different spec levels. More likely, the Switch would just render to the same resolution internally and scale to the differing resolutions of its own screen or the TV as required. The power use is much the same, but it's a heck of a lot easier to code things that way.
but isn't that what devs are going to have to do with the scorpio vs the baseline xbone and the pro vs the baseline ps4?
Sort of. Although it's an open question as to whether many will bother, particularly given that both Sony and Microsoft have laid down that all games must run the same on the original spec and there can only be graphical enhancements for the newer ones.

In Nintendo's own recent history you can look at how few games were enhanced for the New 3DS over the original 3DS and for the DSi over the original DS. There are a few, mostly first party offerings, and that's about it. As such, I'd expect things to be much the same with the Switch; even if it's capable of more processing power when docked, there probably won't be many games that use it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:57 am

Won't it just be like PC, where a bit more power can up the res a bit, add higher level of texture filtering and stuff? So it'll run basic 720p on the handheld, then up the res and effects, maybe a bit more draw distance, for the dock.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:59 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Won't it just be like PC, where a bit more power can up the res a bit, add higher level of texture filtering and stuff? So it'll run basic 720p on the handheld, then up the res and effects, maybe a bit more draw distance, for the dock.
Possibly, although if it was that easy to enhance battery life by downgrading graphical performance I'd like to think that some PC games would have offered it by now. However, my experience with Windows tablets and laptops is that whatever you've got the settings on, three hours or so is about the most you're going to get on battery when running a modern game that uses 3D graphics. Changing the brightness of the screen has a bigger effect on it, even.

Realistically, I'd see power management most likely being left down to the developers. Those making less graphically intensive games might manage to eke 8+ hours out of it, going by what's possible on existing Tegra K1 and X1 tablets, while those who insist on running it flat out will get a lot less.