How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

joefish

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by joefish » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:11 pm

It seems a bit quick to me to have bought one and be tired of it already, but if it's genuinely causing headaches then I can understand.

I haven't used this one but I have tried the last demo version of the Oculus Rift. The sense of being somewhere else is amazing. But the sensation of being in a vehicle that you control when you can't feel it moving can be odd. FIRMA works brilliantly as you're sat in a sort of tractor-cab lunar-lander that always remains upright. But piloting a rolling and pitching aircraft is more problematic. Maybe in a spaceship you just have to convince yourself you've got really good inertial dampers! But I don't know if this is something you can learn to get used to or if it's a bad sign from the start. It seems like the indie scene for the PC are considering this; just adding VR to any old first-person-view console game may not work so well.

I would rather have something hooked up to a PC for the variety, but there's not way I can afford a few grand for the setup. Let's hope the indie scene put up some interesting experiences for the PS VR.

The other thing I notice is it's as if Sony have refused to speak about how the Pro could improve VR as at this moment they seem to be dead set on selling VR to PS4 owners; presumably there'll be a distinct shift in policy once the Pro is actually released. Though I appreciate it's up to developers to produce games that exploit both Pro and VR, so there may not be much of significance to see at launch.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:54 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Hardly validation though. He clearly can't play it for any length of time without it affecting him so he's getting rid of it.
To be honest, the odd migraine was more likely caused by a bad sleeping pattern than by VR induced mania. The main reason I sold it was the software. While I'm not trying to paint in broad strokes, practically every game I played felt like a glorified tech demo. The best of them was Until Dawn and start to finish, that only lasted about three hours.

Personally, there's nothing on the horizon that I felt would tempt me to wear the headset again and there's certainly nothing currently available that was offering me any longevity. Obviously, mileage will vary person to person and, as I said in my last post, as short as these experiences may be they are genuinely jaw-dropping. Everyone should experience it, but I'd do some serious research before buying.

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:09 am

I have zero interest myself, although that said I have very little interest in modern gaming anyway except wwe games and the odd driving game.

I am surprised that Darren is so into it already, I hope it is at least a partial success for Sony's sake as they have sunk billions of pound that they really don't have into this and if it doesn't go well it may be the end for them. :(

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:00 am

errolwd40 wrote:
I am surprised that Darren is so into it already
Why would I not be into it? I don't understand.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:37 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
errolwd40 wrote:
Maybe he meant your daughters would constantly be nicking it lol!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:10 pm

I'm hoping to try it out when I pick my PS Pro up on the 10th. The nipper has asked for one for crimbles...

Eat your nans pants

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm

I'm curious to understand how much install disc space a full length, none repetitive, VR game will take up?

e.g. Doom takes up around 60 Gb storage space - how much would a fully optimised VR version of Doom need (x2, x5 , x10) ?

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:08 am

errolwd40 wrote:
Just saying Darren you seem to be acting like a massive PS4 VR fanboy, if anyone disagrees you accuse them of being jaded or a troll.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:38 pm

errolwd40 wrote:
errolwd40 wrote:
Just saying Darren you seem to be acting like a massive PS4 VR fanboy, if anyone disagrees you accuse them of being jaded or a troll.

People are allowed to be optimistic about a platform without being called a fanboy.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:50 pm

I tried the Rift on a couple of games and thought it was incredible. It really does add something amazing to gaming - having said that, as a part time worker/stay at home dad, there's no way i'll be able a PS VR any time soon. I want to play Rez on it so badly...

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:07 pm

I keep going back to Viva Ex Vivo. It's such a cool VR experience.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:36 pm

crusto wrote:The nipper has asked for one for crimbles...
Really? You sure its Ben that wants one....hmmmm?...hmmm? :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:20 am

errolwd40 wrote:
errolwd40 wrote:
Why shouldn't I not be excited about the most exciting thing to happen to videogames since videogames began? I'm not a big fan of people moaning about stuff when they've had limited experience of what they're actually discussing, so I call people out on it. Nothing fan boyish about that at all.

Oh and if you're going to start throwing names about at least have the decency to get the spelling of my name right...

Moving on
Played some more Thumper last night. It's an excellent rhythm action game that works equally well in VR and without it (although it's far more focused when you're in VR)
Did some more puzzles on Tumble VR last night too, which is like a cross between The Cube and The Krypton Factor.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:23 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:I keep going back to Viva Ex Vivo. It's such a cool VR experience.
I'm not too sure about that one. What's the gameplay like?

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:47 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:I keep going back to Viva Ex Vivo. It's such a cool VR experience.
I'm not too sure about that one. What's the gameplay like?

It's odd. When I first reviewed the game, I slated it giving it 2 out of 10. You float around looking for energy particles while organisms attack you. It felt empty and unforgivably dull.

They patched it to 1.1 when VR landed and improved the gameplay a lot. It's still the same thing but more refined, more playable. In VR the sense of floating about in blood, water, soil etc is oddly compelling. It's less than four quid, so you can't go far wrong.