How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DPrinny

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:58 pm

rocky1980 wrote:Its better priced than the other two main PC offerings. However this is only gen one, Sony does not have a good history is supporting new stuff IE move, Vita, etc. I am playing the wait and see on this one. Mrs Rocky is interested in VR however it will need to be wireless before she will be looking to buy
It took them YEARS before they made people actually want the move and even then they had to make another accessory for it
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Are there any WWII flight simmy type games for it yet? I like these type of games, every generation I'll give at least one a go. They're enjoyable and can be intense, but working out where the enemy is and the best attack/evasion to use is hit and miss. For as long as I can remember, I've thought VR would be the ideal for it. You can sit stationary with a joystick, scanning the skies, looking for where they are and where you can go. Once they sort us out with reasonably priced motion feedback seats it'll be very immersive.
You got War Thunder on PS4 and PC, it's a free MMO with planes, tanks and ships and "accessible realism". Don't know if it supports PS VR but it does seem like a fitting title for it. As for single-player WW2 stuff - you're out of luck, they only make multi-player focused WW2 titles anymore. The old CoDs and Brothers in Arms (+ Hidden & Dangerous) is really the best you will get in this regard.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:39 pm

rocky1980 wrote:However this is only gen one, Sony does not have a good history is supporting new stuff IE move, Vita, etc. I am playing the wait and see on this one.
This was my biggest hesitation about buying into it. I bought the Move, which died almost as soon as it was released. I bought the Vita which, while brilliantly supported by third parties, was abandoned extremely quickly by Sony. I also bought a PS Phone which was released and immediately forgotten about. Their record on this stuff is abysmal.

Hopefully it's not an omen that, to get PSVR to work at it's best, you need to use two previously abandoned peripherals!! :lol:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:58 am

Even with a simplistic game such as Doom, the possibilities are exciting really. I'll wait and see at this stage while the tech is new and costly. But it could be the thing that makes the ones that haven't bothered moving from 360/PS3, do so.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:48 pm

So, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is the best thing so far.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:45 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:So, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is the best thing so far.
Yup, it's a solid lightgun game ehanced by the VR to create a truly terrifying experience. Currently replaying it now :)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:55 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:So, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is the best thing so far.
Yup, it's a solid lightgun game ehanced by the VR to create a truly terrifying experience. Currently replaying it now :)
Waiting to get a pair of move controllers before I get properly into this. Tried with a Dualshock and it was pretty pants tbh.

Anyone tried Scavenger's Run on PSVR Worlds? So far that's the highlight of the collection for me! An excellent (if criminally short) experience.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:10 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Are there any WWII flight simmy type games for it yet? I like these type of games, every generation I'll give at least one a go. They're enjoyable and can be intense, but working out where the enemy is and the best attack/evasion to use is hit and miss. For as long as I can remember, I've thought VR would be the ideal for it. You can sit stationary with a joystick, scanning the skies, looking for where they are and where you can go. Once they sort us out with reasonably priced motion feedback seats it'll be very immersive.
You got War Thunder on PS4 and PC, it's a free MMO with planes, tanks and ships and "accessible realism". Don't know if it supports PS VR but it does seem like a fitting title for it. As for single-player WW2 stuff - you're out of luck, they only make multi-player focused WW2 titles anymore. The old CoDs and Brothers in Arms (+ Hidden & Dangerous) is really the best you will get in this regard.
War Thunder has supported VR on the PC for a while, and it's on the list for supporting it on the PS4 in the future if not already.

You can see someone with pretty much the ultimate VR setup here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75f12kDE2Pk

That said, it's not proved quite the killer app for VR yet, as you're at a significant disadvantage when using it against players with a conventional setup, and that's going to put off players who aren't already quite experienced in the game. The same seems to apply to a lot of competitive MMOs, so I doubt we'll see significant take-up until there's one where there's a level playing field.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:08 am

Loving VR so far, RIGS: Mechanized Combat League is a step into the right kind of direction for game longevity. Can be played in short bursts but there is plenty to do. Great fun to play as well.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:57 am

I've got one and 4 or 5 on the games. Trouble is I've got to wait until christmas to try it.

Games I got are

DriveClub VR
Loading Human
VR Worlds
Hustle Kings
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Super Stardust

Games I've got my eye on.
Rigs
Eve Valkyrie
Battlezone.

Why are the last two games £50?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:59 am

Grizzly wrote:Loving VR so far, RIGS: Mechanized Combat League is a step into the right kind of direction for game longevity. Can be played in short bursts but there is plenty to do. Great fun to play as well.
Agreed, started playing this last night and it seems excellent. The motion technique they've used to combat sickness is also being used in Eagle Flight, which looks incredible.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:49 pm

Personally I got no interest in it and think it will become an unpopular fad like 3D TVs (I'm only gutted that the Until Dawn sequel is VR only) that said I don't wanna take anything away from users that are currently enjoying their experience... and if I'm wrong and VR becomes ubiquitous and all games start getting VR versions I will probably jump in.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:03 am

Matt_B wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
War Thunder has supported VR on the PC for a while, and it's on the list for supporting it on the PS4 in the future if not already.

You can see someone with pretty much the ultimate VR setup here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75f12kDE2Pk

That said, it's not proved quite the killer app for VR yet, as you're at a significant disadvantage when using it against players with a conventional setup, and that's going to put off players who aren't already quite experienced in the game. The same seems to apply to a lot of competitive MMOs, so I doubt we'll see significant take-up until there's one where there's a level playing field.
Yeah, for flight sims and sims in general VR is trully a game changer as it actually puts you "in the seat" of the simulated vehicle (given that you also have all the other required gear like a racing wheel, a flight stick, a good chair, a good sound system, etc), but you're also right that for competitive gaming you may actually be at a disadvantage with it due to your brain trying to process all the movements and these things instead of simply focusing on pushing around the cross hair and killing everything in sight. That's why I think VR will be next to useless for serious competitive gaming (FPS, RTS, MOBA, fighting games, etc), but for those looking for amazing immersion it will be a god send.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:12 am

gman72 wrote:Personally I got no interest in it and think it will become an unpopular fad like 3D TVs (I'm only gutted that the Until Dawn sequel is VR only) that said I don't wanna take anything away from users that are currently enjoying their experience... and if I'm wrong and VR becomes ubiquitous and all games start getting VR versions I will probably jump in.
It's deff. not a gimmick for simulation and horror fans, how it will fare in other type of games remains to be seen. I will say many VR games are more "experiences" than "games" though, which means they're interesting but may not have a long-lasting value. It's also a question if it will become mainstream, so far it's mostly enthusiasts who excite over it, the average person may be turned off by the motion sickness, eye damage at prolonged usage, problems with coordination and such things. But it's deff. the closest we will come to merging fantasy with reality, unless AR picks up which will twist things even more. Pokemon GO was probably just a small taste of what's yet to come. :wink:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:07 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
It's deff. not a gimmick for simulation and horror fans, how it will fare in other type of games remains to be seen. I will say many VR games are more "experiences" than "games" though, which means they're interesting but may not have a long-lasting value. It's also a question if it will become mainstream, so far it's mostly enthusiasts who excite over it, the average person may be turned off by the motion sickness, eye damage at prolonged usage, problems with coordination and such things. But it's deff. the closest we will come to merging fantasy with reality, unless AR picks up which will twist things even more. Pokemon GO was probably just a small taste of what's yet to come. :wink:
You're right. It's definitely not a gimmick, and there's no guarantee this version will be mainstream, because it's currently so expensive. With regards to your conjecture about motion sickness and other issues, that sounds like something the Daily Mail would proclaim. Although you're right in that some people will inevitably have issues in the same way that some people get car and sea sick.

It's completely misinformed though to suggest that the games are experiences with no lasting value, though.

Yes, the demo where you're lowered into a cage and can't do anything is an experience. Yes the Cheap MDF rubbish Demo is an experience, and so is Allumette (although that's a movie, not a game) and yes Batman VR is largely an experience (but the best you'll ever have in a Batman title) but after that your reasoning is massively off.

Until Dawn is a full blown on-rails shooter with 4 difficulty levels, multiple routes and things to collect. It's every bit as much a game as Virtua Cop or Dead Space Extraction.
Driveclub VR is a big racing game with multiplayer modes, single challenges, online challenges and a big campaign mode.
RIGS is a gigantic sprawling competitive shooter that has replaced Speedball 2 as my favourite futuristic sports game.
Eve Valkyrie has an underdeveloped single player game but I can't see myself becoming tired of its multiplayer mode (no sooner than any similar game).
Bound is a beautiful looking platformer that was most definitely a game before it was converted to work in VR, same with Super Stardust
Rez is most definitely a game and an amazing one at that.
Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes is a party game, but most definitely a game.
Battlezone is a huge sprawling shooter that will take an age to complete.

There's plenty more but I've not got time to list them all.
Basically, suggesting there's not games, suggests you've not really spent any actual time playing one other than having a quick go around a friend's house or waiting in line at an Expo somewhere.