How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6731
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Resident Evil VII is out in two weeks. I can't discuss it though as it's under embargo.
Image

RetroAerosmith
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:19 am
Location: South Wales

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:55 am

The repatched first hour demo was the best experience ive had gaming for a looooooong time. Im not sure how the shooting mechanics will work but atmosphere and scare wise its unbeatable at the moment. I found myself pushing doors and actually poking my head around the door to check and looking behind me a second later and having that experience unbroken by loading times or pauses while someting is drawn.

A lot of the other experiences ive had with vr have been almost gimmicky, but this has been Wow..,

stayAwhile
Posts: 1878
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Rayne wrote:Any word on more major VR releases? The system has been out now for about three months and so far I don't see much in the way of hype/discussion about it...
to be fair I think the main focus needs to be getting the tech out on shelves at a sustainable rate to stop scalpers but that said theres does need to be games to keep intrest personaly i'm in it for the likes of rollercoaster dreams and sports bar vr ect i'm unsure if i want to play resi 7 vr ect but I do hope sociable soccer gets psvr support
This guy are sick

RetroAerosmith
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:19 am
Location: South Wales

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:18 pm

if you dont think youll play the whole game at least try first hour demo just to experience the true horror of nearly being there.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6731
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:23 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:if you dont think youll play the whole game at least try first hour demo just to experience the true horror of nearly being there.
Definitely, it's an incredibly creepy experience. My reviews all ready for next issue, but I've focused on the non VR aspects as that's what the vast majoirty of readers will be playing.
Image

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Rayne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:24 pm

stayAwhile wrote:
Rayne wrote:Any word on more major VR releases? The system has been out now for about three months and so far I don't see much in the way of hype/discussion about it...
to be fair I think the main focus needs to be getting the tech out on shelves at a sustainable rate to stop scalpers but that said theres does need to be games to keep intrest personaly i'm in it for the likes of rollercoaster dreams and sports bar vr ect i'm unsure if i want to play resi 7 vr ect but I do hope sociable soccer gets psvr support
That's a fair point. I really, really hope the technology hits the mainstream and it takes off. The time spent with my VR set was far and away one of the most exciting gaming experiences I've had in years. Without wanting to sound cliche, no gaming system has made me feel that sense of wonder since I got my first gaming system when I was 4 years old!

Just, with it being new tech + price barrier + Sony's track record of support, I was concerned I hadn't heard anything about it for a while. Hype seems to have died down a bit. I suppose the biggest challenge will be giving VR meaningful AAA titles without regular PS4 users feeling left out.
Image

User avatar
binaryRooster
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:28 pm
Location: Saturn

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by binaryRooster » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:35 pm

I saw a video on how you can hook up your old consoles and play them in Cinema mode (looks like you're playing them on a huge cinema screen). You just need a box to convert your console to output in HDMI. Don't know how playable they would be, but i'd like to experience that some time!

User avatar
necronom
Posts: 5648
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:23 pm
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by necronom » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:41 pm

binaryRooster wrote:I saw a video on how you can hook up your old consoles and play them in Cinema mode (looks like you're playing them on a huge cinema screen). You just need a box to convert your console to output in HDMI. Don't know how playable they would be, but i'd like to experience that some time!
That would be great. Elite, The Eidolon, Mercenary, Dungeon Master, 3D Monster Maze...

Even non-first-person games I'd imagine would be good, too. I'd like to play Paradroid, Uridium, and Rambo on a cinema screen :D
Image
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6731
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:25 am

Rayne wrote:
Just, with it being new tech + price barrier + Sony's track record of support, I was concerned I hadn't heard anything about it for a while. Hype seems to have died down a bit. I suppose the biggest challenge will be giving VR meaningful AAA titles without regular PS4 users feeling left out.
Well Resident Evil proves that you can make a meaningful AAA experience for regular PS4 owners while delivering an astonishing VR experience. It hopefully isn't that difficult to implement.
Image

ALK
Posts: 2857
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by ALK » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:48 pm

My local Game has a demo set up for Resident Evil VII. £2 for the Cheap MDF rubbish scene, £5 for a 15 min session.

Was tempted but low on funds. Besides, I'd probably either scare the heck outta myself or swear my mouth off my accident.... :lol:

EDIT

Huh.....why's the K word censored? :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

HisNHer_LP
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by HisNHer_LP » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Im so glad this demo has come out because I could never work out what the word was,......

RetroAerosmith
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:19 am
Location: South Wales

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:38 pm

I bought another move controller £40cex without the charging lead -but thats another story that progably belongs in grind gears thread.
Anyway had rush of blood for xmas somwanted to play that. Fiddly trying to get the move controllers to connect but got there in the end. id had the move controllers on charge...well i thought i had...id forgotten how sly sony were where you cant use ANY usb lead..you had to use one with that thick dongle on the cable.
One had charged, one hadnt so i had to play with one plugged in the usb. It actually plays really well in a house of the dead/time crisis kind of way....warning though...because i had to stand to play, you are on a ghostbtrain come rollercoaster and as soon as it started climbing up the tracks to go down rapidly i almost went through the TV as it felt so real.

There was also a free demo of tombraider which is supposed to be VR so ive not played it yet, also havent tried the demo disc that came with it, is it worth opening?

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:18 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by crusto » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:24 am

In a word, yes
Image

Eat your nans pants

User avatar
Grizzly
Posts: 2465
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Grizzly » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:16 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:I bought another move controller £40cex without the charging lead -but thats another story that progably belongs in grind gears thread.
Anyway had rush of blood for xmas somwanted to play that. Fiddly trying to get the move controllers to connect but got there in the end. id had the move controllers on charge...well i thought i had...id forgotten how sly sony were where you cant use ANY usb lead..you had to use one with that thick dongle on the cable.
One had charged, one hadnt so i had to play with one plugged in the usb. It actually plays really well in a house of the dead/time crisis kind of way....warning though...because i had to stand to play, you are on a ghostbtrain come rollercoaster and as soon as it started climbing up the tracks to go down rapidly i almost went through the TV as it felt so real.

There was also a free demo of tombraider which is supposed to be VR so ive not played it yet, also havent tried the demo disc that came with it, is it worth opening?

It is best to download the demo list as it comes with more than the disc does. So not worth opening the disc, just download and get around 5 more games to try.
I write for...
Image
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

stayAwhile
Posts: 1878
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:06 pm

so got my psvrr today really enjoying driveclub(demo) rollercoaster world and 100 ft robot golf but i find crystal rift knocks me sick quickly but everything else i'm good with but sometimes need a break. screen door is annoying but then again hardly noticable after a bit.

anyone else get movent sensation?
This guy are sick

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests