How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Trixta

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Trixta » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:08 pm

A local gaming bar has the psvr and I've prob spent around 5 or so hours with it. My thoughts on it are, its like the wii, its fun for short amounts of time then gets boring real fast.

Content wise the most fun I've had with it was rush of blood, gunjack and the starwars vr demo. Resident evil demo was ok, but Im not a person who scares easily. Battlezone I didnt enjoy and the demo disk was ok (I've not played batman, but seen it played so many times that I dont really wanna try it).

For the price point and what it offers, none of the other head sets can compete with it. However the htv vive makes the psvr look like childs play, but once again it comes down to price point and the amount of space you need. Psvr requires zero space, the htv vive needs 5x5 meters. psvr is around 450 for the whole set up, the vive is 800+

For me I hope its a fad that comes and goes, gaming is about sitting down with ur mates talking and having fun. I feel vr isolates you from that, but it does imerge you in your own world.

TLDR, save your money, wait for a price drop and wait for the real games to come out.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:03 pm

Real games are already out for it. You just have to find the experience that fits your desires.

What i would argue as "Real" games would be the likes of

Battlezone
Rigs: Mechanised combat league
Eagle Flight
Rez Infinite
Eve: Valkyrie
Drive Club VR

and there are more than these besides. They all feature the same level of content found in the likes of Star Wars Battlefront and are often updated with extra free content to enhance the games further. There are many smaller titles that have the same content levels of some of the bigger indie titles such as Thumper and Headmaster. To even suggest that the PSVR doesn't have real games and just tech demos at this stage is pretty short sighted. Granted you would have to like at least a few of the above to get your moneys worth but VR is not a platform that is designed to be played hours on end, if you want that then stick to your usual controller and big TV, VR is not for you.

VR is very much a single player innovation that lends well to more in depth single player games but again a lot of the above games are multiplayer focussed so i'm not sure how that isolates you, unless you are talking about couch play that the internet made obsolete years ago.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Grizzly wrote:Real games are already out for it. You just have to find the experience that fits your desires.

What i would argue as "Real" games would be the likes of

Battlezone
Eagle Flight
Rez Infinite
Drive Club VR

and there are more than these besides. They all feature the same level of content found in the likes of Star Wars Battlefront and are often updated with extra free content to enhance the games further. There are many smaller titles that have the same content levels of some of the bigger indie titles such as Thumper and Headmaster. To even suggest that the PSVR doesn't have real games and just tech demos at this stage is pretty short sighted. Granted you would have to like at least a few of the above to get your moneys worth but VR is not a platform that is designed to be played hours on end, if you want that then stick to your usual controller and big TV, VR is not for you.

VR is very much a single player innovation that lends well to more in depth single player games but again a lot of the above games are multiplayer focussed so i'm not sure how that isolates you, unless you are talking about couch play that the internet made obsolete years ago.
Agreed. It constantly staggers me when people can't find 'real games' to play on PSVR. I play more VR games than normal games and two months on that's still the case. Videogames need a kick up the arse and VR is that kick. Whether it lasts will depend on consumer and developer support but I'm enjoying it far too much to worry. I have no problems finding games to play on it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:13 pm

Grizzly wrote: VR is very much a single player innovation that lends well to more in depth single player games but again a lot of the above games are multiplayer focussed so i'm not sure how that isolates you, unless you are talking about couch play that the internet made obsolete years ago.
Couch play isn't obsolete. Not even close. It just isn't a priority for mainstream releases when it comes to multiplayer. The indie end of things is still focused on local multiplayer to an annoying degree.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:56 pm

Grizzly wrote: Battlezone
Eagle Flight
Rez Infinite
Drive Club VR
None of those games reviewed well (bar rez which is a game you can finish in 2hours (I have the physical release of it and didn't buy it to play in vr). Battlezone, rigs, headmaster and drive club, you can play on the demo disc and see pretty much everything the full game has to offer. The only shining grace for the psvr has come from the indi studios, super hyper cube,gunjack and thumper are both great and as I already mentioned the starwars vr and res7 demo's are also great. And while not perfect batman gives you an experience none of the other games do.

As a hardcore gamer I dont see any of the games you mention being must have or be worth spending 400+ for the whole kit. And fyi the game bar bought battlezone full game and its been played only once and that was by me because I loved the atari version. The vr version was boring, uninteresting and was the same gameplay every mission. Rigs made me feel sick and just wasent good at all.

If I cant see a game to pick up as a hardcore gamer, what the hell is a casual gamer going to want to play? sticking a £40 tag does not make it a "real game"

Im curious if you have even played any of them, whats ur psn?
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:09 pm

Trixta wrote:
Eagle Flight
Rez Infinite
Drive Club VR
None of those games reviewed well (bar rez which is a game you can finish in 2hours (I have the physical release of it and didn't buy it to play in vr). Battlezone, rigs, headmaster and drive club, you can play on the demo disc and see pretty much everything the full game has to offer. The only shining grace for the psvr has come from the indi studios, super hyper cube,gunjack and thumper are both great and as I already mentioned the starwars vr and res7 demo's are also great. And while not perfect batman gives you an experience none of the other games do.

As a hardcore gamer I dont see any of the games you mention being must have or be worth spending 400+ for the whole kit. And fyi the game bar bought battlezone full game and its been played only once and that was by me because I loved the atari version. The vr version was boring, uninteresting and was the same gameplay every mission. Rigs made me feel sick and just wasent good at all.

If I cant see a game to pick up as a hardcore gamer, what the hell is a casual gamer going to want to play? sticking a £40 tag does not make it a "real game"

To be fair, most of the games were reviewed poorly. Giving Driveclub 1/10 because it gave you motion sickness is ridiculous for example, as not everyone will be affected like you are.
They are all substantial games with a lot of content (although Eve Valkyrie pushes it somewhat) but it does sound like most of your opinions are coming from demos, which give no real indication of the different games modes found in the likes of Rigs, Battlezone and Driveclub, to name three of the games you've pulled up.

You're quite right in that there are lots of great smaller indie games that are waving the value for money card, but I do personally feel that there are more than enough substantial games on the system. I do wonder if the focus on smaller games (in terms of their size) is because developers are worried about how VR will affect consumers) but it's not something that has affected me at all. You're quite right in saying that it's clearly a lot of money and it's clearly too much in your eyes, which is fine. We all value things differently after all.

To me it's the most exciting thing to happen in gaming forever and I'm finding plenty of stuff to sink my teeth into and have rarely felt like I've actually wasted my money. I've played VR pretty much exclusively since getting it on launch and it continues to give me fresh new experiences, so in my mind it has justified its high price point. It obviously helps that I get paid to review games for a living, too, which is a luxery that many don't have.

While we're demanding if people are actually playing these games, it would be interesting to know if you've played the actual retail releases of everything mentioned as opposed to the fairly rubbish demos (noted that you couldn't get on with Battlezone, although it now has the original mode with it as a free bonus, which you may like to try). The bigger issues sounds like you have problems playing VR, which of course is going to affect your enjoyment and opinion, which I completely understand. After all, it's easy to dismiss something when it actually makes you feel ill :( RIGS has no effect on me at all (in fact, it's been designed to lessen motion sickness as much as possible) and I'll take it over Speedball 2 for future sports shenanigans any day of the week, but to each their own :)

I've been enjoying your feedback though, because you do raise some interesting relevant points that need to be addressed if VR is to become a success. If a hardcore gamer like yourself doesn't think the full retail versions you've actually played offer enough value then it's going to have a tough time with more traditional consumers. Genuinely looking forward to your reply.
Glad to hear you liked Resident Evil, it's definitely shaping up to be the most essential game on the system at the moment.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:07 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Trixta wrote:
Eagle Flight
Rez Infinite
Drive Club VR

To be fair, most of the games were reviewed poorly. Giving Driveclub 1/10 because it gave you motion sickness is ridiculous for example, as not everyone will be affected like you are.
They are all substantial games with a lot of content (although Eve Valkyrie pushes it somewhat) but it does sound like most of your opinions are coming from demos, which give no real indication of the different games modes found in the likes of Rigs, Battlezone and Driveclub, to name three of the games you've pulled up.

You're quite right in that there are lots of great smaller indie games that are waving the value for money card, but I do personally feel that there are more than enough substantial games on the system. I do wonder if the focus on smaller games (in terms of their size) is because developers are worried about how VR will affect consumers) but it's not something that has affected me at all. You're quite right in saying that it's clearly a lot of money and it's clearly too much in your eyes, which is fine. We all value things differently after all.

To me it's the most exciting thing to happen in gaming forever and I'm finding plenty of stuff to sink my teeth into and have rarely felt like I've actually wasted my money. I've played VR pretty much exclusively since getting it on launch and it continues to give me fresh new experiences, so in my mind it has justified its high price point. It obviously helps that I get paid to review games for a living, too, which is a luxery that many don't have.

While we're demanding if people are actually playing these games, it would be interesting to know if you've played the actual retail releases of everything mentioned as opposed to the fairly rubbish demos (noted that you couldn't get on with Battlezone, although it now has the original mode with it as a free bonus, which you may like to try). The bigger issues sounds like you have problems playing VR, which of course is going to affect your enjoyment and opinion, which I completely understand. After all, it's easy to dismiss something when it actually makes you feel ill :( RIGS has no effect on me at all (in fact, it's been designed to lessen motion sickness as much as possible) and I'll take it over Speedball 2 for future sports shenanigans any day of the week, but to each their own :)

I've been enjoying your feedback though, because you do raise some interesting relevant points that need to be addressed if VR is to become a success. If a hardcore gamer like yourself doesn't think the full retail versions you've actually played offer enough value then it's going to have a tough time with more traditional consumers. Genuinely looking forward to your reply.
Glad to hear you liked Resident Evil, it's definitely shaping up to be the most essential game on the system at the moment.
The general thing we've been told is that most players play VR for between 5 and 20 minutes with a smaller number being able to reach 30 minutes. Very few go beyond that before having to take the headset off even if that's just for a 5 minute break. We're certainly designing our game to be player for between 5 and 10 minute sessions.

It's not quite clear why that is - could be the removal of real light from the eyes or it could even be that the act of being that much closer to being in the game worlds (presence) makes it a more energy zapping thing to do?

I attended the DevelopVR conference a couple of weeks ago and one speaker simply said - don't bother trying to catch everyone - there's always going to be individual cases of people who don't like it or people who feel sick playing your game.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Trixta wrote:
Eagle Flight
Rez Infinite
Drive Club VR

My psn is Kreiden. Check away.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:47 pm

Trixta wrote:
Eagle Flight
Rez Infinite
Drive Club VR

I actually want to like the psvr and as I already said price wise none of the other headsets can compete. However it just doesn't have that game where it makes me feel like I need to own it (and im normally one of the first people to jump on the new tech). I guess im lucky that I have a bar I can go to and play vr with out forking out for it (but at the same time I can try the vive and its not in the same league as psvr, its makes it look like childs play). But its like everything new, you just have to wait for developers to get the hang of it and learn how to utilise it best. And your correct about rigs, I've only played the demo and read the reviews but you could talk to 10 different people and they will give you 10 different answers. I dont feel like the demo did the game any justice as you didnt really get to understand how to play it, but it reviewed poorly.

I'm curious if any of you have played the vive or the oculus? And if so, how does that make you feel about psvr vs those 2 options? ftr vive >psvr > oculus for me
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:15 am

Vive is far better tech but you would expect it to be at double the price.
I treat my VR like I treat my console purchases, I go where the games are and the best ones are currently on psvr.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:12 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Vive is far better tech but you would expect it to be at double the price.
I treat my VR like I treat my console purchases, I go where the games are and the best ones are currently on psvr.
I agree, but as we have mentioned experience a lot, the vive is what I'm expecting from a vr experience. I want to feel like I'm actually being part of what I'm seeing, not just being able to look left/right. As I said before I think I'm just spoilt with the options I have regarding the use of vr and I will be playing on psvr tomorrow to give my copy of res a try (as mentioned before I bought it for normal play).

Slightly off topic, but perhaps you would be interested in doing an article on the gaming bar I attend? Its independently run and caters for gamers, cosplayers, boardgames players etc
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Trixta wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Vive is far better tech but you would expect it to be at double the price.
I agree, but as we have mentioned experience a lot, the vive is what I'm expecting from a vr experience. I want to feel like I'm actually being part of what I'm seeing, not just being able to look left/right.
Every game allows you to look fully around you. Yes it's not as accurate as Vive, if you're aiming directly behind you, but you can do it. PSVR is comporomised, there's no doubt about that, but they are the right compromises to make based on the tech it is using and if you've never experienced the other option you'd never know any better. At the moment I feel you're comparing a consumer car that everyone can potentially have access to with a Ferrarri. They both do the same things, but one is something that very few people will ever get to own.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Trixta wrote:
I agree, but as we have mentioned experience a lot, the vive is what I'm expecting from a vr experience. I want to feel like I'm actually being part of what I'm seeing, not just being able to look left/right.
Every game allows you to look fully around you. Yes it's not as accurate as Vive, if you're aiming directly behind you, but you can do it. PSVR is comporomised, there's no doubt about that, but they are the right compromises to make based on the tech it is using and if you've never experienced the other option you'd never know any better. At the moment I feel you're comparing a consumer car that everyone can potentially have access to with a Ferrarri. They both do the same things, but one is something that very few people will ever get to own.
I think that is a fair assumption to make, as I previously said im kinda spoilt by the tech of have access to.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:06 pm

I've used the viva at work at it blew me me away, but the stupid cost and the need for a small aircraft hangar to use it meant it's just not pratical. The final nail in the coffin was the lack of game I mentioned perviously. I feel we're on the edge of something exciting and hopefully we'll be able to continue this discussion via a star trek hologram style room a few generations down the line :P

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:36 pm

I'd personally never spend that amount of money on gaming. (If I could I would haha.)
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."