How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Havantgottaclue

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:45 pm

I must admit I had lined up PS4 VR as a bit of a Christmas pressie to myself, but the short supply has put paid to that. Still, it remains very high on the wishlist.

My experience of VR is extremely limited - I tried a very early version of Oculus RIft at the Eurogamer Expo around three, maybe four years ago. It was quite lo-res and unfortunately the friend who I went to the expo with suffered motion sickness but I was spared that particular experience. But I'm really excited by the idea of more immersion. To think that when I first played Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga, I used to actually, physically lean when I went around corners - all that despite the low frame rate vector graphics which would seem laughable these days. Now we have the likes of DriveClub VR, wow ... that must be something.

A lot of VR games seem to be targeting short burst-type gameplay rather than longer experiences. But surely first person games would work well too - FPSes and the somewhat divisive "walking simulator" genre? What if they put a rumble-pack in the headset and converted Half Life 2 - to get that proper headcrab feeling?!!
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:20 am

Well Resident Evil VII is censored terrifying.
Easily the most immersive experience I've had in the 30 odd games I've played and it's arguably the one that's going to give me a heart attack.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:07 pm

The Cheap MDF rubbish? Or does the proper demo have VR mode available?

But just from the Cheap MDF rubbish, can tell VII will be so, so scary!
Last edited by Spiff on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Spiff wrote:The Cheap MDF rubbish? Or does the proper demo have VR mode available?

But just from the Cheap MDF rubbish, can tell VII will be so, so scary!
The first hour demo (or whatever it was cold) is now VR updated.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:25 pm

Erm... Why does the forum replace the word 'Cheap MDF rubbish' with 'Cheap MDF rubbish'?! Although I expect it'll now say those 3 words for both!

Anyway, will download the other demo, once I've swapped my HD for a 2TB.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:11 pm

Spiff wrote:Erm... Why does the forum replace the word 'Cheap MDF rubbish' with 'Cheap MDF rubbish'?! Although I expect it'll now say those 3 words for both!
There was a time when the forum was being absolutely hammered with spam for cooking room furniture. We were barely keeping on top of it, so the admins added the filter for that particular word. At least then anything that got through or was captured by the googlebots referenced Cheap MDF rubbish, not exactly the desired ad they wanted on their spam links.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:15 pm

Not the most obvious forum to target for that sort of product!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:07 am

If you want to imagine you're in the original Dungeon Master then Crystal Rift isn't bad for the £8 asking price.
We're reviewing it this issue as it's also got a non-VR mode.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:32 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If you want to imagine you're in the original Dungeon Master then Crystal Rift isn't bad for the £8 asking price.
We're reviewing it this issue as it's also got a non-VR mode.
i'm thinking about getting this game it looks abit like the old pc rpgs
This guy are sick

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:16 pm

I'm enjoying it. There's not a big range of monsters so far and the map designs are quite basic, but it's still good fun. It's not a patch on Legend Of Grimrock though.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm enjoying it. There's not a big range of monsters so far and the map designs are quite basic, but it's still good fun. It's not a patch on Legend Of Grimrock though.
the dungeon creation from pc version is missing but for a 7.99 game its very fun, I think it will be good in vr too.
This guy are sick

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:21 am

I've just reviewed How We Soar which is a tricky one to write up. Essentially the gameplay (which is like a watered-down version of Pilotwings) is hardly worth bothering with but the feeling you get from it in VR is pretty remarkable. It's a game where you fly through the imagination of a writer on the back of a phoenix (that looks like a pinata). It definitely has that blue-sky gaming thing going on and is a good antidote to all these horror and space games.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:I've just reviewed How We Soar which is a tricky one to write up. Essentially the gameplay (which is like a watered-down version of Pilotwings) is hardly worth bothering with but the feeling you get from it in VR is pretty remarkable. It's a game where you fly through the imagination of a writer on the back of a phoenix (that looks like a pinata). It definitely has that blue-sky gaming thing going on and is a good antidote to all these horror and space games.
It sounds very similar to Eagle Flight, which I love. It's a lot cheaper though, so I may take a look at it.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:44 pm

I'm enjoying my PS VR, but I'm finding it's something I enjoy best with company, so games like Keep talking or everyone explodes, Surgeon Simulator and Playroom VR are my highlights.

I may end up being wrong, but I think predictions of VR being the next big thing are way off the mark. I think it'll keep being a fun niche, but nothing more.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:14 am

We have a few VR boxes in the office now and there's no doubt the resolution on PS4 is much lower than the PC based ones (VIVE and Rift). Having said that, I found I adapted pretty quickly to the lower res and by the time I was playing actual games, it didn't matter. Having said that... I'm not really the kind of player who will diss a game just for having low res - I'm not a huge technophile and for me, it's all about gameplay. BUT. I do think if resolution does mean a lot to you, I think you might be disappointed. If not, it's a pretty cool to awesome bit of kit.

As to the OG question - everything I'm reading and hearing at the moment is that VR is getting one heck of a push from a lot of people. That's a whole lot of money being invested in it. My initial feelings were that VR was going to be a fad. It'll last about 5 years and then everyone will move on. But now I think that VR has a 'before and after' effect going on. Once I put a headset on, only then did I really understand what this tech could mean and why this is actually a future that's not going away.

The feeling of presence in a headset is pretty unbelievable. It literally brings you one step closer to being 'in' any virtual world than we've had up to this point. You do have to be careful cos there's a lot of tat about but unless you've already made up your mind, or like me, you're too nonconformist, you'll soon accept this new tech that's going to change our lives.

It's difficult to explain tbh. I think it's one of those things you have to try for yourself.

There are issues - motion sickness being a big one. Getting it into peoples hands is another. Actually figuring out what to do with this tech is another.

The difference between PSVR and the PC ones (for me at least - and remember I'm much more a console gamer than a PC one) is that the stuff available for PC all feel very demo/prototype like. There's not much I've played that feels like a full game. Doesn't mean there's not some amazing stuff on it - try Bullet Train. It is something else! But the PSVR games just feel a little bit more like full on, commercial games in general. At the moment, the use of the tech is still hit and miss. But for me at least, the games appear to be leading on PSVR whilst the tech is leading on PC. (I'm talking game specifically BTW - Tilt brush for example, is again, something else entirely).

I think VR is here to stay this time (unlike when it was first introduced some 25 years ago) and I think it's going to go from strength to strength and pretty much all of us will be playing VR games and using VR tech in our lives.

That's a pretty scary thought but one for another discussion because this post is too long as it is.
:)