How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:41 am

Spiff wrote:Great to hear the Pro love. For standard games I would've been happy enough with a Slim, but improved frame rate/detail for VR is worth the extra money I reckon.
It's worth nothing that you're not going to get many benefits if you don't have a 4k tv as the superscaling (or whatever it is called) is making quite a few games run worse.

From what I've seen it's a console designed for 4K PSVR play.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:07 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Spiff wrote:Great to hear the Pro love. For standard games I would've been happy enough with a Slim, but improved frame rate/detail for VR is worth the extra money I reckon.
It's worth nothing that you're not going to get many benefits if you don't have a 4k tv as the superscaling (or whatever it is called) is making quite a few games run worse.

From what I've seen it's a console designed for 4K PSVR play.
Actually the number of games on the Pro running worse is decreasing - Deus Ex has been patched now so it should be running better on the Pro, ditto Watch Dogs 2. Last of Us has tiny frame rate drops still but still runs at 60FPS almost all of the time, and right now I'm playing through inFamous and Tomb Raider at 60FPS and its brilliant, so much better than the normal PS4 versions.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:11 pm

I'm also getting a 4K telly soonish... Tomorrow/Cyber Mon might be pushing it tho, on top of a Pro by the end of next week!

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:48 am

Bloody GAME website!!

I got an email from them Thursday evening telling me my PSVR order has been cancelled, no explanation as to why. I panicked a bit because I didn't want to disappoint my son. I started looking elsewhere and the only place I could find one in stock was CEX and (obviously) it was marked up by £60. I really didnt want to disappoint my son so I bit the bullet. I got up first thing and got a load of stuff together for trade in, and made my way to CEX for opening. I got a total of £233 for stuff which has been gathering dust for ages, so the £60 blow was quite nicely softened.

Shortly after arriving home with it safely tucked under my arm the plot thickened. I decided to get in touch with GAME to find out why they cancelled. It turns out they had made a mistake, had just debited my account for £350, and I will be receiving another PSVR next week!

Jeez now theres a dilemma, I wouldn't mind one myself and as "luck" would have it there's one on the way... I might just treat myself lol.

Trev, if you read this post dont say anything to Ben!

Eat your nans pants

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:04 pm

My lips are sealed. I still reckon you did all that on purpose :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:26 am

crusto wrote:Bloody GAME website!!

I got an email from them Thursday evening telling me my PSVR order has been cancelled, no explanation as to why. I panicked a bit because I didn't want to disappoint my son. I started looking elsewhere and the only place I could find one in stock was CEX and (obviously) it was marked up by £60. I really didnt want to disappoint my son so I bit the bullet. I got up first thing and got a load of stuff together for trade in, and made my way to CEX for opening. I got a total of £233 for stuff which has been gathering dust for ages, so the £60 blow was quite nicely softened.

Shortly after arriving home with it safely tucked under my arm the plot thickened. I decided to get in touch with GAME to find out why they cancelled. It turns out they had made a mistake, had just debited my account for £350, and I will be receiving another PSVR next week!

Jeez now theres a dilemma, I wouldn't mind one myself and as "luck" would have it there's one on the way... I might just treat myself lol.

Trev, if you read this post dont say anything to Ben!
I would of offered to buy it off you as my mum has been trying to find one for my nephew. As it stands he played on mine for 30 minutes the other day and felt incredibly ill (he has a slight balance issue with one of his ears) so he's now not getting it. That's a young age to realise your future is going to be completely joyless :P

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Just a quick update.. I wanted just the one, but have now got 3 lol. The wife preordered another one with game shortly after they had cancelled the original one, just to see what would happen. As it went through fine she cancelled it the next day, we even got a cancellation email from Game. However it appears they ballsed this up too as another unit has been delivered today. I'm hoping that their incompetence streches as far as forgetting to charge us for it. Will be checking the credit card transactions tomorrow..

Eat your nans pants

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:42 am

crusto wrote:Just a quick update.. I wanted just the one, but have now got 3 lol. The wife preordered another one with game shortly after they had cancelled the original one, just to see what would happen. As it went through fine she cancelled it the next day, we even got a cancellation email from Game. However it appears they ballsed this up too as another unit has been delivered today. I'm hoping that their incompetence streches as far as forgetting to charge us for it. Will be checking the credit card transactions tomorrow..
if they have sent you a third one for free your a lucky guy i wont be able to get one till march dependent on cost being 350 or less by then haha
This guy are sick

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:03 pm

Nah, they billed me :(. Dunno what it is this week, I ordered a dominoes earlier this evening. Just as I was finishing it there was a knock on the door. It was the same order being delivered again lol.

Eat your nans pants

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:33 pm

crusto wrote:Nah, they billed me :(. Dunno what it is this week, I ordered a dominoes earlier this evening. Just as I was finishing it there was a knock on the door. It was the same order being delivered again lol.
can't you get it returned?
This guy are sick

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Eff that, thats tomorrows dinner sorted :D

Eat your nans pants

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:41 am

Set up my PSVR today and... Wow. Most fun I've had playing video games.

Didn't expect it to be so immersive, even with the graphical limitations that are obvious sometimes, and the sense of presence when a virtual character approaches you and talks to you is amazing.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:29 pm

Spiff wrote:Set up my PSVR today and... Wow. Most fun I've had playing video games.

Didn't expect it to be so immersive, even with the graphical limitations that are obvious sometimes, and the sense of presence when a virtual character approaches you and talks to you is amazing.
Glad to hear you are enjoying it. It really is a game changer for me and totally revitalised my interest in gaming. I've managed to convince the wife to let me buy a pro, so I'm hoping for numerous improvements when I go back to Robinson etc.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:46 pm

crusto wrote:Nah, they billed me :(. Dunno what it is this week, I ordered a dominoes earlier this evening. Just as I was finishing it there was a knock on the door. It was the same order being delivered again lol.
You double ordering while drunk? :lol:

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:45 pm

I've read a few articles, like Eurogamer and https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... erformance -- subtle Pro improvements, but seems worthwhile to me.