How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Black Ridge

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:03 pm

I had a go on it last night :D

Have to say I was fairly blown away by the tech and it's functionality. Unlike Kinect, and early Wii motion controls, it doesn't feel premature and works incredibly well. I was worried that due to my sight being poor in one eye that it wouldn't work for me, but was pleasantly surprised that it had no impact on my experience.

Price wise, it's beyond my reach, though after having a go I would love to get a VR rig now and dabble some more. Hopefully it does well enough for devs to take some risks and get some more meaty projects out there. I think there is a lot of scope to explore various genres and revisit some older titles out there too.

"Can you imagine THIS GAME in VR?"

Exciting stuff

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:49 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
joefish wrote:I think they need to resurrect Jumping Flash...
That would be great in VR I think, you'd get that sense of vertigo along with the required camera angles for decent platforming, you could get some really tricky stuff going on.
Windlands is a pretty good indication of how that would go. It's basically a platformer with grappling hooks.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:05 pm

How about a VR headcrab in half life 3?

Eat your nans pants

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:41 am

crusto wrote:How about a VR headcrab in half life 3?
Nope. Hope about Alien Isolation? That might give me a heart attack.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:20 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
crusto wrote:How about a VR headcrab in half life 3?
Nope. Hope about Alien Isolation? That might give me a heart attack.
Alien Isolation in VR works fantastically. even on the Oculus DK1 when i tried it. Knowing Sega though it will likely never happen as even the PC VR was buried under code because it wasn't 100% functional.
I write for...

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:16 am

At the Centre For Computing History in Cambridge, we are holding an event along with the good folks of Sony and Guerilla Cambridge on the 29th November if anyone is interested.

Details Here.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... mber-2016/

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:54 am

As I can't move my head anymore is there any point me investing in VR? Just wondered!

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:33 pm

So, eagle flight then. Fairly basic to control and Ubisoft have kind of gone overboard on the motion sickness reduction steps that you can't turn off. Feels pretty good to fly around and weave past tight spaces. Multiplayer is fun as well, you essentially fight over a prey as you try and carry it back to your nest, you shoot probectiles by screeching at enemy birds.

It's open world and set in a stylised Paris after humanity had left it and nature has taken over. it never really explains why people left but you can see evidence of potential causes, it would have been nice to see some kind of insight into the events that caused it.
I write for...

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:25 am

at the moment i want to play driveclub vr, hustlekings vr, carnival games vr, sports bar vr and Cheap MDF rubbish but £350 is too much money even if i get a living wage 40 hour job i'd still be saving till mid to late 2017 so i'm gunna buy move controllers a ps4 camera asap and hope 2nd hand headsets drop in price by next year.

i was going to trade my xb1 and dvds towards but thats only 100(plus 1p a dvd) so i'd still have to scrape 250 together so heres hoping the price drops soonish.

but on the plus side i have 100 ft robot golf already which has a vr mode
This guy are sick

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:29 am

Grizzly wrote:So, eagle flight then. Fairly basic to control and Ubisoft have kind of gone overboard on the motion sickness reduction steps that you can't turn off. Feels pretty good to fly around and weave past tight spaces. Multiplayer is fun as well, you essentially fight over a prey as you try and carry it back to your nest, you shoot probectiles by screeching at enemy birds.

It's open world and set in a stylised Paris after humanity had left it and nature has taken over. it never really explains why people left but you can see evidence of potential causes, it would have been nice to see some kind of insight into the events that caused it.
I'm loving Eagle Flight. Amazingly fast, no motion issues whatsoever and it's genuinely satisfying to hunt around the game world looking for collectibles. It's miles better than Robinson.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:44 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Grizzly wrote:So, eagle flight then. Fairly basic to control and Ubisoft have kind of gone overboard on the motion sickness reduction steps that you can't turn off. Feels pretty good to fly around and weave past tight spaces. Multiplayer is fun as well, you essentially fight over a prey as you try and carry it back to your nest, you shoot probectiles by screeching at enemy birds.

I'm loving Eagle Flight. Amazingly fast, no motion issues whatsoever and it's genuinely satisfying to hunt around the game world looking for collectibles. It's miles better than Robinson.
you tried 100 ft robot golf yet? i think that looks like it may cause sickness after a while as does rigs
This guy are sick

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:55 pm

stayAwhile wrote:at the moment i want to play driveclub vr, hustlekings vr, carnival games vr, sports bar vr and Cheap MDF rubbish but £350 is too much money even if i get a living wage 40 hour job i'd still be saving till mid to late 2017 so i'm gunna buy move controllers a ps4 camera asap and hope 2nd hand headsets drop in price by next year.

i was going to trade my xb1 and dvds towards but thats only 100(plus 1p a dvd) so i'd still have to scrape 250 together so heres hoping the price drops soonish.

You only get £100 on a trade in for a XBone now? thats crazy, but thinking about it I guess its because all the new machines coming out.

Im so tempted and so want a VR, but from what I have seen all the cables and wires are crazy, Im thinking of waiting till I have more room, and at the same time, hoping the price drops too.

But im doing as stayAwake is doing and maybe slowly start stockpiling the games etc

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:43 am

HisNHer_LP wrote:
stayAwhile wrote:at the moment i want to play driveclub vr, hustlekings vr, carnival games vr, sports bar vr and Cheap MDF rubbish but £350 is too much money even if i get a living wage 40 hour job i'd still be saving till mid to late 2017 so i'm gunna buy move controllers a ps4 camera asap and hope 2nd hand headsets drop in price by next year.

You only get £100 on a trade in for a XBone now? thats crazy, but thinking about it I guess its because all the new machines coming out.

Im so tempted and so want a VR, but from what I have seen all the cables and wires are crazy, Im thinking of waiting till I have more room, and at the same time, hoping the price drops too.

But im doing as stayAwake is doing and maybe slowly start stockpiling the games etc

nice typo :lol: yeah an xb1 is 175 to buy in cex now.
This guy are sick

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:46 pm

Ive been looking all day and i cant for the life of me find one. At least under £600. No way am i paying that.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:38 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:Ive been looking all day and i cant for the life of me find one. At least under £600. No way am i paying that.
They have them up at Amazon.de for delivery next week. Works out to around £366. https://www.amazon.de/Sony-9843757-Play ... digidip-21
I write for...