How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

buddy1983

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by buddy1983 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Agreed, I cant wait to play RE2. VR is great but to limit yourself is silly.

Has anyone tried to watch a 3D bluray through the PSVR, i hear its really good.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm

It's really not bad - nowhere near as good as a dedicated 3D TV (obviously the resolution takes a big hit), but as a bonus feature, it's decent. People have complained about the screen drifting so you should probably watch in the dark so it doesn't get confused with other light sources.

Best quote from the VR Facebook group regarding 3D films on PSVR "...and you don't have to wear those 3d glasses!" I'm sure there's a flaw in that logic, I just wish i could could my finger on it...

bartread

Post by bartread » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:06 pm

binaryRooster wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm
Best quote from the VR Facebook group regarding 3D films on PSVR "...and you don't have to wear those 3d glasses!" I'm sure there's a flaw in that logic, I just wish i could could my finger on it...
:lol: That's an extraordinary comment.

I have the first gen version of the VR and can tell you that the headset, whilst not uncomfortable, is bulky and somewhat unwieldy. The cable management is also terrible. I mean really, shockingly awful. This is not something that usually bothers me: I get super-frustrated when cables are overly tidied away as it makes reconfiguring things a complete nightmare, so I tend to be quite tolerant of "messy" cables, but it's the fact that you have all this crap, and particularly the earbud cable, snaking all around your body and catching on everything. Drives me up the wall.

Still worth all the aggro just for Wipeout VR though, which is genuinely fantastic.

As another more minor complaint, I often play driving games whilst I'm on the exercise bike, with Drive Club being a particular favourite. This is generally great but when I tried doing the same with the VR version, whilst keeping the cables out of the way was obviously an issue (file under, "What could possibly go wrong?"), a much bigger problem was condensation on the lenses, which fogged up in only a couple of minutes. In general ventilation of the headset is quite poor, so you occasionally get a bit of fogging anyway, but this rendered it completely unusable.

(I long for the introduction of wireless VR, but the bandwidth requirements are obviously substantial to get a smooth and seamless video feed, even at dual 1080P, especially without compression, which you'd probably have to skip in order to minimise latency.)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:04 pm

I'm embarassed to say that whenever i've tried VR (amazing though it is !) i just feel carsick like anything afterwards ! Its impressive as anything but when it comes to motion sickness i'm crap with it (not literally)

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:28 am

Finished Killing Floor: Incursion. Short and sweet but the controls are a constant struggle. Arizona Sunshine remains the best zombie shooter on there but you need the Aim controller to get the best out of it.

Started Blood and Truth. It's really good so far.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:06 pm

I picked up Everybody's Golf VR and Blood & Truth last week. Having had EG glued to my PSP and Vita for many years, i was really intrigued by the potential of a VR version. I do remember just standing there laughing as suddenly i found myself transported to the first tee - a feeling that you'll never truly appreciate by watching videos, you just have to experience it. The only real drawback with EG VR is the lack of a feel of your club hitting a ball, but apart from that, it's just incredible.

I did a couple of levels of Blood & Truth which is immense fun. The lack of locomotion makes it feel like a glorified light gun game in places, but the production values are so high, it's easy to get pulled in. Really looking forward to seeing what other tricks the developers pull out of the bag as the set pieces so far have been well over the top.

It's been another really solid few weeks for PSVR. I think you can truly say that there are some really outstanding games on that system now. I still refuse to join the hardcore and their denouncing of "flat gaming" though :lol:

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:39 am

Can Everybody's Golf still be played with a standard pad? If so it's a must-buy for me.

Whazeboo

Post by Whazeboo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:10 pm

I was an early adaptor of Playstation VR - I bought it in November 2016 the week it came out. It's been over a year since I last played PlayStation VR games. In the last few months my VR processor-unit got overheated all the time and I got thrown back to the PlayStation menu.

Here is a list of VR-compatible games I own (rated from worst to best):
Thumper: A quick reaction game. Highly overrated - maybe because I am not got at it outside of VR?
Super Hypercube: Initially looking like a nice action/puzzle game. The lack of any save-game optionkills it.
Eve Valkyrie Warzone: Sitting in the cockpit of a space fighter is nice. Everything else is meh.
Driveclub VR: I have this game on BluRay and it has too many and too long loading-times for my liking. In VR it shows too many cluttered pixels.
Fated the Silent Oath: A walking simulator to introduce your aunty to VR. Includes towards the end an immersive water-flow experience.
Mervils - a VR adventure: This platform game is a bit buggy. The graphics are simple but it has some nice ideas like the clay shooting and minecart race. Wish there were more save-points in it as you must play for a long time to get any further.
Tumble VR: OK puzzle game about stapling blocks. I prefer to play it with a Move-controller.
Bound: Arty game that later got a VR mode. I prefer to play it on screen.
Gnog: Nice Fisher Price-toy like puzzle game though VR does not add much to it.
Here They Lie: This black 'n' white horror game caused me serious motion sickness. Has towards the end an amazing scene in a metro in which you are chased by a giant burning man.
Pinball FX 2 VR: Playing pinball in VR. Only three tables but nice.
Polybius: Jeff Minter's into-the-screen shooter is a classic. Preferably played in VR to reach a few levels further in the game.
Job Simulator: Great game once your Move-controls are registered correctly by the PS Camera.
Batman Arkham VR: A must-have to own. Getting kitted with the Batman-gear is an amazing experience.
Rez Infinite: The reason why I bought PSVR. Never disappoints!