How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:35 am

Rayne wrote:^ Closest thing to that would be EVE Valkyrie which, while radically different to a WWII sim, does feature some of what you talk about. Looking all around you trying to get a bead on enemies is pretty cool.
With a single player campaign that lasts barely an hour, it seems like more of a demo than a full game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:30 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Rayne wrote:^ Closest thing to that would be EVE Valkyrie which, while radically different to a WWII sim, does feature some of what you talk about. Looking all around you trying to get a bead on enemies is pretty cool.
With a single player campaign that lasts barely an hour, it seems like more of a demo than a full game.
While the single player mode is only a couple of hours, it's more of an arena-based multiplayer shooter anyway, with lots of ships and weapons to unlock. It's a bit steep at £55, but it's certainly not a demo.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:57 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Are there any WWII flight simmy type games for it yet? I like these type of games, every generation I'll give at least one a go. They're enjoyable and can be intense, but working out where the enemy is and the best attack/evasion to use is hit and miss. For as long as I can remember, I've thought VR would be the ideal for it. You can sit stationary with a joystick, scanning the skies, looking for where they are and where you can go. Once they sort us out with reasonably priced motion feedback seats it'll be very immersive.
The view from a WWII plane's cockpit is seriously restricted in most cases. What you see on a 2D screen in something like the Sturmovik games isn't far from what you'd actually get in real life. With VR you'd be able to look out of the cockpit window without the use of a controller I guess, and the periphal detection should be better, but sitting stationary and scanning the skies? Do you mean just flying and having a look round from the cockpit? WWII flying sims do that already. I recon VR would be well handy for belly turret gunners etc. Their view in games is very unrealistic. The ability to look around without turning the turret would definitely enhance the experience. Depends how "simmy" you want it really.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:15 am

The Beans wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Are there any WWII flight simmy type games for it yet? I like these type of games, every generation I'll give at least one a go. They're enjoyable and can be intense, but working out where the enemy is and the best attack/evasion to use is hit and miss. For as long as I can remember, I've thought VR would be the ideal for it. You can sit stationary with a joystick, scanning the skies, looking for where they are and where you can go. Once they sort us out with reasonably priced motion feedback seats it'll be very immersive.
The view from a WWII plane's cockpit is seriously restricted in most cases. What you see on a 2D screen in something like the Sturmovik games isn't far from what you'd actually get in real life. With VR you'd be able to look out of the cockpit window without the use of a controller I guess, and the periphal detection should be better, but sitting stationary and scanning the skies? Do you mean just flying and having a look round from the cockpit? WWII flying sims do that already. I recon VR would be well handy for belly turret gunners etc. Their view in games is very unrealistic. The ability to look around without turning the turret would definitely enhance the experience. Depends how "simmy" you want it really.
I agree about the cockpit. There's a game called Gunjack. It's very simple but it effectively allows you to relive the death star escape from Star Wars. I can't wait to play that Trench Run, it's going to be mindblowing.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:26 am

Yes, just looking around the cockpit. I know you can do it in most sims now, but it's clunky using a stick to do that instead of just looking around. Having VR and getting the immersion from physically looking left, right, above, or down to the cockpit instruments should add a level of 'being there' that adds to the experience. Employing a young Filipino boy to stab me when the bullets hit then set fire to my armchair as I go down will finish that off.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:36 am

I'm really worried that the trench run is going to ruin the original arcade game forever...

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:50 am

Spent a few hours on a friends set up last night and really enjoyed it. I didn't experience any motion sickness either which I was expecting to!

RIGS was the game I most wanted to play and it was as good as I was hoping although the controls take some getting used to.

Headmaster was really fun and felt very satisfying knocking stuff over. I like that there is some kind of Portal-esque overtone to whats going on.

I also played Battlezone, London Heist and Wayward Sky which were all pretty good too.

So, yea I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with it going forward.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:06 am

I don't have a PS4, but with this available I think I'm going to wait a bit and get the 4K model (even though I've still only got a 720P telly) for its better rendering capability. With a view to getting the VR helmet later, when I can afford something more.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:20 am

Yeah Headmaster is great fun.

Super Stardust VR is interesting. It's the previous PS4 game (same trophies, already unlocked for me) with tacked on Battlezone-esque mode.

That mode is alright. Looks decent, plays well. Bit easy.

The main modes though just look fantastic in 3D. This really shows off the 3D capabilities of the tech. Really good stuff.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:02 am

joefish wrote:I don't have a PS4, but with this available I think I'm going to wait a bit and get the 4K model (even though I've still only got a 720P telly) for its better rendering capability. With a view to getting the VR helmet later, when I can afford something more.
That's a good plan if I'm honest.
The low resolution will annoy some, but when you're in the games in tends to become an immediately moot point. It would be nice to up the resolution slightly and smooth out some of the visuals and I'm hoping that's where the Pro will shine. Having said that, there's no way I can afford one any time soon...

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:18 am

I doubt the Pro could do anything about the resolution of the display in the headset; I'm hoping it can do more detailed and/or better textured rendering and at the high frame rates VR reqires. I think Sony have said they allow down to 60fps for games that use the headset, but the displays are capable of 120fps, which is more than the Occulus Rift. Though the PSVR has a lower resolution.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:23 am

4kPSVR to come next year......................

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:01 pm

There already seem to be questions over whether the PS4 Pro is actually powerful enough to generate one genuine 4K resolution image at high frame rates...

The helmet display is 1920 x 1080, with half of that screen going to each eye. So it's filling the equivalent of a 1080p HDMI image at 60 fps, though it has to do a big chunk of the processing twice to get the two halves done right. And if you want it smooth you'll want to double-up to 120 fps. So you are looking at 3-4 times the effort of an ordinary HD game. Or 1/3 the level of detail...
Last edited by joefish on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:06 pm

PS4turbo coming in 2 years

This Sony VR is super interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvtHz_a9TAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuYR56zMlXI

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:47 pm

Its better priced than the other two main PC offerings. However this is only gen one, Sony does not have a good history is supporting new stuff IE move, Vita, etc. I am playing the wait and see on this one. Mrs Rocky is interested in VR however it will need to be wireless before she will be looking to buy
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image