What's Your Favourite Vector Arcade Game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Choose your favourite!

Tempest
8%
Asteroids
12%
Star Trek
No votes
Lunar Lander
No votes
Major Havoc
4%
Star Castle
4%
Battlezone
8%
Gravitar
No votes
Star Wars
52%
Other?
12%

Total votes: 25

learnedrobb

Re: What's Your Favourite Vector Arcade Game?

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:00 pm

Star Wars. One of my first concrete memories of videogaming was playing the sit down cockpit version in an arcade in Rhyl, sometime around 1983/84.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:06 am

There's so many great games in there and I really like the aesthetic of vector graphics; everything has a clean minimalist look and moves in a silky smooth fashion, as it has to for the beam to be able to keep refreshing the display, and, unlike the low dpi raster screens of the time, there are no natural directions to the display.

Anyway, I'll go for Battlezone. The periscope cab made it a truly immersive experience; I suppose you could say that it was VR before its time.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:36 am

Matt_B wrote:There's so many great games in there and I really like the aesthetic of vector graphics; everything has a clean minimalist look and moves in a silky smooth fashion, as it has to for the beam to be able to keep refreshing the display, and, unlike the low dpi raster screens of the time, there are no natural directions to the display.
Reminds me how much I'd love to get hold of a Vectrex :)

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:23 am

Star Wars and Battlezone are the most known to me and I'd say Star Wars was really something special back then, there's also a Arcade-perfect version of it in Rebel Strike for GameCube. Although Battlezone was also highly important, it was one of the first examples of a "3D first-person shooter" and also one of the first tank sims was made out of it "Bradly Trainer", an army version of the game.

I must say I'd have to play more of these vector graphics classic games, they certainly have a specific charm to them.

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:36 pm

It's really close between Tempest and Asteroids Deluxe.

Deluxe has shields instead of hyperspace and so removes the luck element. It also has the killer satellites. The game puts paid to the lurking strategy and overall is a far better game than the original.

Tempest is just a beautiful abstract experience. That spinner controller just felt perfect.

If I was to choose between the 2 I'd probably go for Asteroids Deluxe but it's damn close.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:29 pm

Star Wars back in the day was brilliant; having played it again recently...it's still good, but not quite as good as I remember it. 3D Starstrike is actually a much better version.

Battlezone is aces, the periscope really making for an immersive experience.

But having played it recently, I have to say that Tempest is AWESOME, and the controller makes it something really special. So I'll go for that - although Battlezone is very close.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:12 am

Star Wars. It felt like you were in the movie, amazing