Parent's Favourite Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

yethboth

Parent's Favourite Games

Post by yethboth » Fri May 25, 2007 4:31 am

What is everyone's parents favourite games?

My parents favourite games are:

Mum - Arknoid 2: The Revenge Of Doh (Atari ST)

Dad - Pinball (Speccy)
Chuckman (Speccy)
Arcadia (Speccy)
Columns (Megadrive)
Super Hang On (Megadrive)
Ayton Senna's Super Monacco GP 2 (Megadrive)
Psycho Pinball (Megadrive)

Granny/Grandad - None (they are still trying to get their head round technology itself, let alone computer games :lol: :lol: :lol: )

What about everyone else's parents?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri May 25, 2007 4:32 am

Dad - WEC Le Mans (Speccy) - funny seeing him tap his foot to brake
Dad - Silkworm (Amiga) - Completed this, he was actually good at it
Dad - Dungeon Master (Speccy)
Dad - Formula 1 (Speccy)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri May 25, 2007 4:43 am

Mum - Revenge Of The Gator (Gameboy)
Splink!

merman

Post by merman » Fri May 25, 2007 4:47 am

My Dad was really into Leaderboard and Summer/Winter Games

My Mum used to play Tetris for hours
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri May 25, 2007 4:59 am

merman wrote:My Dad was really into Leaderboard and Summer/Winter Games

My Mum used to play Tetris for hours
Me and my old man used to play leaderboard for hours on the C64. He also liked PGA Tour Golf before it got to complicated.

My mum loved Ridge Racer with the steering wheel controller, maybe because she was better at it than my dad...........

My nan, before she passed on bless her, had a go on streetfighter 2 once. It was hilarious, we just chose Chun Li for her and put auto fire on the kick button.........she got quite far actually!

Madge

Post by Madge » Fri May 25, 2007 5:17 am

My dad got really into Microsoft Flight Simulator, to the extent that he went to Florida to take flying lessons. A former submariner, he also enjoys submarine sims. He's also into his adventures, especially the Broken Sword series. My mum hasn't a clue about games though, but I have managed to get her to play the occasional game of Tiger Woods.
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri May 25, 2007 5:37 am

My mom plays um... solitaire, hearts and spades on the comp.

My dad used to play Super Mario Bros 3 and SMW, oh and Kung Fu Master and Choplifter.
Last edited by MikeHaggar on Fri May 25, 2007 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri May 25, 2007 5:39 am

My nan used to play New York Blitz on the Vic20. You only had to press fire but she still couldn't work it out :cry:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri May 25, 2007 5:47 am

Mum - Sim City
Dad - nothing specific

They are both hooked on the free games things like Real Arcade and Pogo now though.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Fri May 25, 2007 6:03 am

None now but back in the early 80's me dad loved and completed Lock 'n' Chase on the Intellivision.

Regards

RIK

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Fri May 25, 2007 6:14 am

Mum:
Tetris (Gameboy)
Warioware Touched (DS)
Lumines (PSP)
Bejewelled 2 (PC)

Dad:
Asteroids (Arcade)
Manic Miner (Spectrum)
Goldeneye (N64)

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Fri May 25, 2007 8:00 am

My Dad used to play leaderboard and football manager quite a lot back in the day.

He's got a semi modern PC now (which he hardly ever uses), and he still plays football manager via a c64 emulator - I had to write down step by step instructions for him to get it working though - including to remember to turn the PC on :lol:
c64 > spectrum 48k

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Fri May 25, 2007 8:20 am

My Mum used to play darts on the C64. She also helped out in our school so played a bit of Grannies Garden with us. But she isn't a big gamer.

Dad was though. I mentioned in the "games that changed your life" thread, but the first game was a Road Rash type game on, I believe, the C64 (but I might be wrong on that). You didn't hit the other bikers you just drove so close to them that they did a somersault. You then were given like an apple or something.

Anyway when I got a Megadrive he fell in love with it. Sonic was an obvious favourite but so was Mega Bomberman. We used to also play FIFA and NHL a lot. We used to have massive tournements where we would write down all the team names, put them in a hat and draw out the matches.

I wish I'd never gotten rid of my Megadrive but I did and moved on to the Playstation. We did play the football games on that but he really loved Die Hard Trilogy & Spyro. Along with Final Fantasy VII, they're the only games I have never gotten rid of from that format. I gave the others away not so long ago.

The PS2 he never bothered with and he died before we got the Wii. On the PC he liked Hidden & Dangerous and we did buy the sequal but never got around to playing it.

In hindsight I wish I'd have discovered emulation a lot sooner. Yes, I know the legality issue but I think if I could've put Mega Bomberman and Sonic on his computer then it might have given him a release. He worked in a very stressful job which indirectly led to his death. I think people underestimate the power of gaming. They can make you forget who you are and where you are for a few minutes and just let you relax. It's a concept detractors vivaciously refuse to accept.

This didn't mean to turn into a ramble, but I guess it has. I'm not editing it though.

To lighten the mood - Gran used to play Grannies Garden. She used to go mental when the Witch ate us!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:52 am

My parents have never been videogamers.

I cajoled them into playing Trivial Pursuit with me, but tbh they'd rather play the board game. They're very traditional older parents and don't really play much at all, not even cards. Its always working or reading/telly.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri May 25, 2007 8:53 am

My dad and I completed just about every 80s and 90s Sierra, Revolution and LucasARTS games together. He and I also got horribly addicted to the Spectrum game "The Great Escape" which I written about in obsessive detail before.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com