Would you rather...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Would you buy

A dedicated classic console mag
18%
A dedicated classic home computer mag
20%
Both
49%
Neither
14%

Total votes: 51

Antiriad2097

Re: Would you rather...

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:18 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:we have less 45-54 readers now
We're all dying of old age :lol:
PostieDoc wrote:Regarding your potential poll on who would be interested in buying a mag covering 70/80s gaming and a mag covering 90/00s gaming, I think a lot of us if given the choice would go for a mag that covered 80/90s gaming over the other two options.
I'd go for 70s/80s. Its where the my nostalgia mostly lies and an interesting and varied period of hardware/gaming invention (and of course, constant repetition with all the clones). While there was still a lot going on in the 90s, I was an adult by then so it seems much closer (well, it is closer, being more recent by definition) but like 90s music, clothing and everything else, I find less to go back to of interest. I sometimes wonder how I got so involved with the ST games I played as many are tedious beyond belief.

As it is, I like the current format, it mixes things up for me, giving me new info on things I'm already familiar with, but also bringing to light previously hidden treasure in areas I'd otherwise ignore.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:41 am

It's a both from me too.

I started gaming in 84 on C64. Progressed to a Mega Drive in 91 and then an Amiga in 94. Went into PC gaming in 96 combined with a PlayStation in 98. I was a PC only gamer until 2005 when I bought an original Xbox. Since then I've been both a Computer and console gamer. I've got fond memories of both formats that I've owned in the past.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:45 am

Consoles for me. I read all the articles about computers and 70's/80's programming etc. but I have no intention of getting "into" those games or playing them. If it were up to me, it would be all arcade + console but that would be daft and the mag would suffer.

It's fine as it is tbh. I only buy the issues that feature content I'm personally interested in these days but if there's an issue with a heavy slant on 8bit or computers then I just don't buy it - easy enough.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:52 am

Well it's 'neither' from me because I'd rather buy one mag that covered both. As has been mentioned, the focus should stay on games rather than platforms.
I could see myself and some fraction of the other readers loving to get a magazine based on micros and ignore the one on consoles, only to see it die due to dwindling numbers, and just be left with a console mag or nothing - so choosing nothing. Then nobody wins.

As for a period, have you noticed how age surveys go from e.g 35-45, so you they don't make you feel suddenly 'old' when you hit 30, 40 etc?
Similarly, my gaming period would be mid-70s and the tail-end of the electromechanical arcades to the mid-90s and the abandonment of the ST and Amiga.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:22 am

I would be interested in both, since my collection contains both.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:00 pm

Would prefer a poll based around preferring machines built before/after 1996 (ie more/less than 20 years ago).

For the OP though, defo computers. I wouldn't buy the mag for console only. And where does arcade/handheld etc fall into this?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:23 pm

I would prefer both. I would buy 2 mags if they were split but can imagine losing interest in the home computer one well before the console one.

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:27 pm

I nearly ticked 'both', but meant both as in I'd buy one magazine about computers *and* consoles, rather than two separate magazines. So i guess my answer would be 'neither'? :S

I went from a philips videopac to a C64 to a megadrive and PS1 to PC, so I like gaming on both consoles and computers :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:45 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:First off, I apologise if I've alarmed anyone. That wasn't the intention whatsoever.

Retro Gamer isn't being split into two magazines so don't worry about that. This isn't research by Future either (we're still Imagine, until it's all cleared) and it isn't going to shape the magazine. I was just interested to see if there was indeed interest in such a thing and where that would lie. I was also planning another poll, asking whether you'd buy a mag focused purely on 70/80s gaming, or 90/00 gaming too, but alas, I just didn't get around to doing it last night.

The recent poll in our latest issue does show a change in readers (based on current results we have less 45-54 readers now and more 24-35 than we did 5 years ago for example 36-44 still makes up the majority though) and nearly 70% would buy an issue with a GameCube or PS2 on the cover, but that doesn't mean 8-bit would be wiped out. The problem with a magazine like retro gamer is that as it continues to be successful it continues to get older and as it gets older, new readers want content that appeals to them, that means expanding and that means less coverage of other stuff to ensure everything can be fairly covered.

I'm always aware that certain 8-bit computers don't get a look in as much as they should, but I'm more aware that sales are important to the health of any magazine, so popular content will always take precedence> we have thousands of more readers than when we first launched, and that's why we revisit popular things, because not all our readers will have read them. Two magazines seems like a great idea in practice (everyone becomes happier because there is more focus on the things they generally want to read about) but the reality would probably be a lot different.

Retro Gamer is Imagine's third most successful brand, so there's no need to worry about its health. I've always been a firm believer of focusing on games rather than hardware, as they're often transferable over many systems. It's one of the main reasons why our arcade covers are our best-selling 8-bit covers, you know the game, regardless of what you played it on. I personally think that the last six issues have been some of our best, because they have a fair mix of content that covers everything from 8-bit to 128 bit (is that even how that gen is described?) it bears out in that the sales have never been higher, so we'd be mad to change it.
Problem is

All the main stuff has been covered, I got the mag from the start an have seen loads of the same stuff covered, people like me still have a sub out of habit (need a way for Windows tablet owners to read on the go, only way ive found out is to download it from a dodgy site) and the total lack of other decent mags to read.
But a lot of people wouldn't be interested in a 4 page article about VHS game systems or odd clone systems

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:53 pm

I want a bookazine all about the Apple II. It staggers me that such a pioneering, defining machine has not ever been adequately covered - you had your game reviews way back in the old InCider magazines and such but I have never found even a single, devoted publication to the Apple II and I find that unbelievable.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:27 pm

That one might be a bit niehce

Maybe have it being just focused on all Apple machine gaming
From the Mac to the iPod

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:35 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:First off, I apologise if I've alarmed anyone. That wasn't the intention whatsoever.

Retro Gamer isn't being split into two magazines so don't worry about that. This isn't research by Future either (we're still Imagine, until it's all cleared) and it isn't going to shape the magazine. I was just interested to see if there was indeed interest in such a thing and where that would lie. I was also planning another poll, asking whether you'd buy a mag focused purely on 70/80s gaming, or 90/00 gaming too, but alas, I just didn't get around to doing it last night.

The recent poll in our latest issue does show a change in readers (based on current results we have less 45-54 readers now and more 24-35 than we did 5 years ago for example 36-44 still makes up the majority though) and nearly 70% would buy an issue with a GameCube or PS2 on the cover, but that doesn't mean 8-bit would be wiped out. The problem with a magazine like retro gamer is that as it continues to be successful it continues to get older and as it gets older, new readers want content that appeals to them, that means expanding and that means less coverage of other stuff to ensure everything can be fairly covered.

I'm always aware that certain 8-bit computers don't get a look in as much as they should, but I'm more aware that sales are important to the health of any magazine, so popular content will always take precedence> we have thousands of more readers than when we first launched, and that's why we revisit popular things, because not all our readers will have read them. Two magazines seems like a great idea in practice (everyone becomes happier because there is more focus on the things they generally want to read about) but the reality would probably be a lot different.

Retro Gamer is Imagine's third most successful brand, so there's no need to worry about its health. I've always been a firm believer of focusing on games rather than hardware, as they're often transferable over many systems. It's one of the main reasons why our arcade covers are our best-selling 8-bit covers, you know the game, regardless of what you played it on. I personally think that the last six issues have been some of our best, because they have a fair mix of content that covers everything from 8-bit to 128 bit (is that even how that gen is described?) it bears out in that the sales have never been higher, so we'd be mad to change it.
Problem is

All the main stuff has been covered, I got the mag from the start an have seen loads of the same stuff covered, people like me still have a sub out of habit (need a way for Windows tablet owners to read on the go, only way ive found out is to download it from a dodgy site) and the total lack of other decent mags to read.
But a lot of people wouldn't be interested in a 4 page article about VHS game systems or odd clone systems
I'm definitely in this category; in from the beginning (of the original RG) and a subscriber out of habit than out of need. Yes there has been some repetition (although never quite the same) but usually some nice surprises (like Halls of the Things in the latest issue).

Like I said if the mag was to concentrate even more on PS1-onwards or became console only I would probably call it a day, as RG can't be a retro mag if it concentrates soley on this; after all, most of us in the Western hemisphere were brought up on Speccy/C64s and ST/Amigas, and I do think that articles on these machines tend to be much more interesting.

Imho it's far more enjoyable to hear about single/duo programmers (computer games) making classics than teams of people (console games).
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:46 pm

You forgot to specify which option got the coin-ops...

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:53 pm

I think the PC could be covered more. You could do a lot worse than interview LGR.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:08 am

I second 80/90s coverage as opposed to 70/80 or 90/00 but again i fall into the bracket of the 80s abd 90s being my eras which makes decade focus hard as there will always be those who would prefer it skewed a decadein another direction.

PSN username - MartinPhantom