Nintendo Discontinuing Wii U from this Friday

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Treguard

Re: Nintendo Discontinuing Wii U from this Friday

Post by Treguard » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:21 am

joefish wrote:Good grief, it didn't even get a proper Zelda game.
Breath of the Wild is out next year.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:26 am

I bought a Wii U for my daughters a few years ago at their request, fully expecting it to gather dust next to the TV. To my surprise, we have played it constantly ever since and I have really enjoyed it. The one big disappointment for me was Mario Kart 8, which graphics apart, was not a patch on the Wii version.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: The Wii U becomes Retro this Friday

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:31 am

The Laird wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Maybe ill get one and get some of the MASSIVE choice of quality exclusives

All 5 of them
I struggle to think of 5!
Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
Twilight Princess HD
Windwaker HD
Mario Kart 8
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Splatoon
Starfox Zero
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros
Tank Tank Tank
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles

All are solid games worth a minimum of a 7 and that's before you even consider eshop.
Admittedly, it's not on par with the Wii, but it's unsurprising when you consider the success that machine had.

Now if you asked me to name 5 good Atari jaguar games...

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:41 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
The Laird wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Maybe ill get one and get some of the MASSIVE choice of quality exclusives

All 5 of them
quote]
Tank Tank Tank

quote]

This must be one of the rarest games on the wiiu.....

I have never seen a copy in the shops anywhere,

I did get a copy online, but then stupidly traded it in towards my camera :(

camera is great, but I really should have kept tank tank tank...it was so silly :)

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:49 am

fredghostmaster wrote:I bought a Wii U for my daughters a few years ago at their request, fully expecting it to gather dust next to the TV. To my surprise, we have played it constantly ever since and I have really enjoyed it. The one big disappointment for me was Mario Kart 8, which graphics apart, was not a patch on the Wii version.
Couldn't agree more RE Mario Kart. The Wii version for me was MILES better.
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:04 am

The WiiU has been my favourite console of this generation so far, mainly due to Mario Kart and a few other decent local co-op games which I managed to pick up really cheap.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:58 am

All are solid games worth a minimum of a 7 and that's before you even consider eshop.
Admittedly, it's not on par with the Wii, but it's unsurprising when you consider the success that machine had.

Not including Jackie Chan

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:00 am

It's the only console I've switched on this year and that's mainly thanks to Mario Maker.
Splink!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:03 am

Wii U is a criminally underrated console which people dismiss because it doesn't have the casual appeal games like FIFA and other shovelware as EA don't support it..

Would add Project Zero Crimson butterfly to 'Darren's list of killer app titles and Devils Third is a really good. Violent old school arcade game.. I can see the Wii U games rocketing up in price as people will be collecting the full set as there's not that many games..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:06 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: All are solid games worth a minimum of a 7 and that's before you even consider eshop.

Exactly! It's all about personal preference! Only 2 of the games you listed even slightly appeal to me.

That said I think most people would regard more than 5 of those as great games, just as most people would regard the likes of Rayman, Tempest 2000, Alien Vs. Predator, Total Carnage, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Power Drive Rally, Iron Soldier and Missile Command 3D as great games :wink:

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:17 am

I have every Nintendo console except the WiiU. Just never got around to it. I suppose I might think about finally picking one up as a collector's piece and play some games as well, if the last of the new stock (which I'd prefer to buy) is going to be available pre Xmas.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:44 am

The Laird wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: All are solid games worth a minimum of a 7 and that's before you even consider eshop.

Exactly! It's all about personal preference! Only 2 of the games you listed even slightly appeal to me.

That said I think most people would regard more than 5 of those as great games, just as most people would regard the likes of Rayman, Tempest 2000, Alien Vs. Predator, Total Carnage, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Power Drive Rally, Iron Soldier and Missile Command 3D as great games :wink:
I'll give you Tempest 2000 and Power Drive, but all the others have dated inredibly badly on the Jaguar. I can't speak for Missile Command 3D as I haven't played it.
It's not really personal preference either, it's well regarded that all those Wii games were generally well received and still are. The same can't be said for the Jaguar titles, accept in the small circle that own that system and are as fantatical about it as the very Nintendo zealots they so despise.
Doom, Alien and Wolfenstein on the Jaguar are products of their time, struggling to deal with a control system that hampered them from the off. Sure, they were well received by those who had a Jaguar, but playing them today is like fighting an elephant while having root canal. Painful and not fun in the slightest.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:50 am

DPrinny wrote:

Not including Jackie Chan
Best Jaguar exclusives?

Tempest 2000
Super Burnout
And that's all she wrote.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:05 pm

I don't think it was underrated at all, mine has been gathering dust for a while, yes there are 10-12 games that are decent and not upgrades of Wii games, but for a system that's 4 years old that's pretty poor going, Nintendo have been stringing out first party games the last 18 months to take them to the NX and it really shows, Imo this is Nintendo's worst supported system and I regret buying one, the only saving grace is I can use my Wii stuff on it!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:24 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: Tempest 2000
Super Burnout

And that's all she wrote.
Well obviously not because you already mentioned Power Drive Rally in your previous post. :wink:

I also think it's pretty mad to deny that like likes of Doom and Wolfenstein 3D are good games, but there we go. I could easily list another 10 great Jaguar games too, I just listed the best known titles.

This just proves that it's all about personal opinion, as I said.
Last edited by The Laird on Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.