Gamecube and Gameboy Advance connectivity

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

batman877

Gamecube and Gameboy Advance connectivity

Post by batman877 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:18 am

We all know about the Gameboy player for Gamecube, but did you know there are plenty of games that link the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance for extra features?

Here's a list of compatible titles:

007: Everything or Nothing (requires GBA version)
Animal Crossing
Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu (requires GBA version)
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
Crash Nitro Kart (requires GBA version)
Disney Sports: Soccer (requires GBA version)
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (requires GBA version of either Fire Emblem or Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)
Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets (requires GBA version)
Harry Potter & Prisoner of Azkaban (requires GBA version)
Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup (requires GBA version)
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (requires GBA version of Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town)
Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (requires FC version and Harvest Moon: More Friends of M.T.)
Hot Wheels: Velocity X (requires GBA version)
Legend of Zelda, The: Four Swords Adventure
Legend of Zelda, The: The Wind Waker
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (requires GBA version)
Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse (requires GBA version of Magical Quest Starring Mickey & Minnie)
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (requires GBA version of Mario Golf Advance Tour)
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Bonus Disc (requires GBA version of Fire Emblem)
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (requires GBA version of Medal of Honor: Infiltrator)
Mega Man X Command Mission
Metroid Prime (requires GBA version of Metroid Fusion)
Nintendo GameCube Preview Disc
Pac-Man Vs.
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus
Pokemon Colosseum (requires GBA version of Pokemon: Ruby or Sapphire or Fire Red or Leaf Green or Emerald Version)
Pokemon Colosseum Bonus Disc (requires GBA version of Pokemon: Ruby or Sapphire)
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness (requires GBA version of Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire or Fire Red or Leaf Green or Emerald for each additional player in 2 or 4 player Group Battle mode)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (requires GBA version)
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc (requires GBA version of Rayman 10th Anniversary or Rayman 3)
Road Trip: The Arcade Edition (requires GBA version of Road Trip: Shifting Gears)
Sims, The: Bustin' Out (requires GBA version)
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (requires GBA version of Sonic Advance or Sonic Advance 2)
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (requires GBA version of Sonic Pinball Party)
SSX 3 (requires GBA version)
Star Wars Rebel Strike: Rogue Squadron III
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Wario Ware, Inc.: Mega Party Game$!
Wario World

I own most of these titles and I've been enjoying discovering what each games features/unlocks!

Perhaps it would make a good feature along side the Gamecube 15th anniversary and the upcoming Gameboy Advance feature?

Megamixer

Re: Gamecube and Gameboy Advance connectivity

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:35 am

Worth mentioning that both Animal Crossing and Pokemon Collisseum can also link up to GBA with the E-Reader connected, certain cards unlocking new things. Not sure if Pokemon XD features it too but neither game had it advertised over here since the E-Reader wasn't officially released.

Pokemon Collisseum bonus is disk was Japan-only as well. PAL Mega Pak edition came with Pokemon Box, a storage facility for Pokemon which links up to all GBA carts.

There's also connectivity with Pokemon Channel whereby the player can download a free Jirachi to a GBA cart upon beating the game.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:17 pm

Great list!

It's a shame Nintendo did not do more with the DS and Wii linking up.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:59 am

The only games I have that has the Wii & DS linking up was Pokemon Battle Revolution and Animal Crossing City Folk / Wide World - I believe that the Nintendo Channel though allowed you to get demo games on the DS via Download play. There might be others though - I've never looked into it.

For the WiiU the only 3DS / WiiU connectivity I can think of is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate & Smash Bros

EDIT : I just remembered that there were a couple of E-Shop Pokemon titles on the Wii that could connect to the DS as well...
Where logic won't work, I will

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:13 am

^That would be My Pokemon Ranch. Basically a storage system where you send unwanted Pokemon from your Diamond and Pearl games (They never did update it to use Platinum or HGSS except in Japan where an update allowed Platinum to be used), except you can now watch those Pokemon roam about in a 3D Ranch.

Pretty pointless but you do get a Mew for storing 999 Pokemon...... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:46 pm

You also missed Pokemon Channel which was just like the later pokemon ranch for gba connectivity. You could also getJirachi for playing it a fair old bit and it had some gameboy style minigames too.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:41 pm

RetroMartin wrote:You also missed Pokemon Channel which was just like the later pokemon ranch for gba connectivity. You could also getJirachi for playing it a fair old bit and it had some gameboy style minigames too.
It only did the GBA hook up for downloading Jirachi (A PAL exclusive feature, the US instead got a preorder disc for Colosseum that included that feature, similar to Japan's Celebi disc) and the e Card Reader for Japan and I think the US. Those mini games were actually an emulator for the Pokemon Mini handheld's games.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:29 am

Wow, there are loads more games than I would have thought. I think I used it in Sonic Adventure 2 and thinking how neat the functionality was. For me the best use of this is Pac Man vs.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:53 am

RetroBob wrote:For me the best use of this is Pac Man vs.
I used to hold games nights with some friends and Pac Man Vs always got played. I hardly ever played R Racing Evolution but i sure got my money's worth out of the bonus disc. Awesome party game.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:05 am

What's the Mario Kart DD bonus disc? I got the Zelda bonus disc with it. What does having the Fire emblem GBA game do in Mario kart?

Looks like I need to do some GBA shopping to go with my GC collection. Even the Sims (yick)

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:12 pm

Pacman Versus is the jewel in the crown of GC/GBA linkup. You really need to use Wavebirds to stop getting in a tangle but it's a great multiplayer experience.

When it comes to DS and Wii - The Wii version of Guitar Hero 5 supports it. You have 2 vs 2 battles with 2 guitars and 2 DS-es. The DS players act as roadies and they attack the opponent guitarist or counter attacks from the opposing roadie.
https://www.engadget.com/2009/08/10/han ... de-wii-ds/

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:58 am

I'd love to try but was disappointed to find there was never a cable to link to a GB Micro.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:04 pm

Its possible that the Micro wasnt really intended for the link up. It was a redesign and maybe as it was late in the GC life they didnt bother.
Personally find the micro too small for my meat hooks but people seem to like em.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Could of sworn I heard Japan released both a GC cable as well as a Wireless Adapter for the Micro in Japan only, but then I have never seen a pic of either.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:20 pm

ALK wrote:Could of sworn I heard Japan released both a GC cable as well as a Wireless Adapter for the Micro in Japan only, but then I have never seen a pic of either.... :lol:
Look on Nintendo's own page and there was definitely a Wireless adaptor:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/system ... sories.jsp

There was also a converter lead that allowed old-style GBA/GBA SP stuff to connect to the Micro (also pictured in the above link) but it's bloody rare and I don't think it was sold here in Europe. Plenty of tutorials online about making/modding your own though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.