Greatest GBA Games Of All Time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK

Re: Greatest GBA Games Of All Time

Post by ALK » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:40 pm

1. Pokemon FRLG- Lovely remake of the first gen games
2. Drill Dozer- Much much MUCH underrated platformer. Probably the best on the system.
3. Pokemon RSE- A nice leap into the 32bits for the franchise
4. Warioware- Still probably the best Warioware thus far
5. Golden Sun- Looked amazing back in the day and plays just as well.
6. Sonic Advance 2- Best out of the trilogy and closer to the MD games
7. Metroid Zero Mission- Preferred this over Fusion, fantasic remake of the original
8. Mario Power Tennis- Surprisingly addictive and fun game that even rivals the console and later entries
9. Zelda Minish Cap- Great original Zelda game.
10. Astro Boy- An licensed game done both right and incredibly.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:15 pm

1. Metroid Fusion.
2. Metroid Zero Mission.
3. Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
4. Castlevania Harmony Of Dissonance
5. Castlevania Circle of the Moon.
6. Mother 3 (Translated)
7. Super Mario Advance 2 - Super Mario World.
8. The Legend Of Zelda A Link To The Past.
9. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
10. Final Fantasy VI Advance.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:53 pm

This seems like as good a place as any to leave this:

https://youtu.be/rfOR3XqrJc4

I'd not heard of VD Dev before, but my goodness did they do amazing things on the GBA.

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:37 pm

Shinobi wrote: 8 Ninja Cop/Ninja Five 0 Sega Shinobi for GBA brilliant but a bit easy
love this one, shame I probably will never own a copy because of the prices it goes for.
:/

this thread has inspired me to revisit the gba again there were so many good games, will try and come up with a top ten, may take a while.

level857games

Post by level857games » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:21 am

Some of my favs were, Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, Double Dragon Advance and I'm surprised I haven't seen many mentions for Wario Ware Inc. or Wario Ware Twisted. I couldn't stop playing those!

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:52 am

Not sure I can name 10 - that might be all I played.Certainly top marks go to:

10 - SEGA Arcade Gallery - The conversion of Space Harrier is near perfect, and with Out Run and Super Hang-On too, this is a cartridge to make 3DS owners jealous of the system. Afterburner being just as wildly uncontrollable as the arcade.

9 - Iridion II - Superlative vertical shoot-em-up using a pseudo-3D Mode-7 like slanted viewpoint that works brilliantly for the screen size. Detailed pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds and inventive enemies and weapons make for a great game.

8 - Advance Wars - cute graphics and progressive maps, each with their own particular challenge, trnasform this turn-based strategy game into a lively pick-up-and-play puzzle-a-day challenge; just perfect for a portable game.

7 - Zelda: The Minish Cap - Another great overhead Zelda adventure, overhauling the gameplay of Link to the Past with a whole new story, new weapons and visual effects.

6 - Gunstar Super Heroes - Effects and gimmicks galore in a run'n'gun game from the masters of the genre.

Now I could name 5 more I've played, but I really don't have anything else that I think is that impressive. Driver and some rally games are technically impressive, with textured 3D worlds, but inevitably the simpler sprite-based views of vehicles and simple handling models let them down on the gameplay front. Metroid just bugged me by getting me stuck in a loop with no obvious way out. Astro Boy is spoiled by its annoying Golden Axe style stop/go gameplay. Gradius Galaxies is good, but in the end, it's just Gradius again, so it's pointless playing on if you lose a life. And I really tried to like Sigma Star Saga, but in the end, it's the random battles that would drive anyone insane.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:55 pm

Analog wrote:
Shinobi wrote: 8 Ninja Cop/Ninja Five 0 Sega Shinobi for GBA brilliant but a bit easy
love this one, shame I probably will never own a copy because of the prices it goes for.
:/

this thread has inspired me to revisit the gba again there were so many good games, will try and come up with a top ten, may take a while.
The annoying thing is I used to own Pal Ninja Cop boxed but foolishly sold it.. Think
It will be cheaper to buy a Krizz GBA Everdrive to play it.. Still plays brilliantly even. Is should have had a sequel:)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:37 pm

10: Final Fight one
9: Mario Tennis
8: Super Mario Advance 4 (SMB3)
7:Manic Miner
6:Speedball 2
5: Mr Driller
4: Centipede/Warlords/Breakout (Collection on one cart)
3: Bolder Dash EX
2:Bubble Bobble (old & new)
1: Mario kart super circuit

I am a sucker for the old skool games brought back on the advance, which made/makes my train journeys so much more fun filled. The hours I've played on my 1 & 2 choices is insane.....but kept me sane on the commute.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:40 am

Not sure I can bang out ten but my faves were;

Denki Blocks - a viciously tricky puzzler that I'd never have the patience for now but at the time was very addictive.

Kuru Kuru Kururin - again, I probably wouldn't like it now but I loved this back on the GBA.

Tony Hawk 2 - odd isometric viewpoint aside, this was a very credible version of TH2.

Total Soccer Manager - not sure which version. One was great, one was stupidly buggy and awful. Top down SWOS-type action. Lots of fun but a tad too easy.

Rock N Roll Racing - good version of the best 16-bit racer.

There were others that I liked but I mostly played Game and Watch Gallery 3 (GBC) on my GBA I think. I had a bunch of different GBs, I can never remember which ones were backwards compatible.

I've got the GB Micro now and it is a thing of beauty. I still use it for G&W Gallery 3 but via a Supercard now. I do own the cartridge but I use this for convenience (mainly the convenience of it working on a Micro!).

Flint

Post by Flint » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:25 pm

1. Mario 3 (With e-reader levels)
2. Advance Wars (and it's sequel) – Tough to split, I guess 1 if I have to
3. Mother 3
4. WarioWare: Twisted

Rest aren't really in much of an order but...

5. Zelda: LttP
6. Kurukuru Kurin
7. Minish Cap
8. Mario & Luigi: SuperStar Saga
9. Final Fantasy 6
10. Super Mario World
11. Taking photos of the GB Micro

I played many of the best SNES games via the GBA so it seems wrong to leave them off my list just to pick more exclusives.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:53 pm

01-Metroid Fusion - Think it's the only Metroid game I've ever put any serious amount of time into, come to think of it.

02-Pinball Challenge Deluxe - All eight tables from Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Illusions squashed into one GBA cartridge!

03-Super Dodge Ball Advance - First GBA game I ever played, instantly addicted.

04-Astro Boy: Omega Factor

05-Konami Krazy Racers - Mainly for the mad theme tune

06-Godzilla Domination! - Just like those King of the Monsters games, only it's actually playable.

07-Drill Dozer - It's a gimmick but it's a great gimmick.

08-Dragon Ball Advance Adventure

09-F-Zero: GP Legend

10-Hot Potato! - Silly puzzle game that's stupidly addictive.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.