Thoughts On Retro Gamer Ultimate Guides

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Thoughts On Retro Gamer Ultimate Guides

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:14 am

We try and run a couple of Ultimate Guides each month.
Do you enjoy them, what do you like dislike about them and how could they be improved?
Are there any games you'd love to see covered and do you feel cheated if an Ultimate Guide is the cover game?

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Gibberish Driftwood

Re: Thoughts On Retro Gamer Ultimate Guides

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Are there any games you'd love to see covered
Nebulus. :)
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:31 am

I'm a massive Horror game fan, and would love to see some of these covered (and some have of course). Shadowman is one I mentioned in another thread, and a kind soul gave me a link to a Games TM feature. But would be happy to see one in RG. A guide to the Silent Hill series would be most welcome too

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:21 am

Has there ever been one on the Thunder Force series? That would be great if there has not.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:50 am

The guides are typically based on a single game (although sequels will get mentioned in a box out).

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:14 pm

I like the ultimate guides, i enjoy seeing nice sprite work printed up at a large scale and reading about other less famous games in a series (for instance i knew nothing about the Pang sequels so found it useful). covering the conversions to other formats is also interesting. the only thing i don't like about them is they're a bit short!

it would be nice to get some neo geo games covered, as there are a lot of games with stunning artwork, but a lot of them had limited conversions to other formats (boo!)

wouldn't mind seeing some cover art/posters/concept art included too.

some suggestions for games to cover (if you haven't already...memory fading):
Outzone (arcade - any toaplan games tbh but outzone is my fave of theirs)
ultimate tiger
flying shark
tatsujin
Cotton/cotton 2
twinbee
parodius
Viewpoint
sonic wings
ninja spirit
legend of hero tonma
vigilante
bubble bobble
virtual on
hot rod (sega)
alien storm
aliens (konami)
eswat (md)
atomic runner
r-type
dragon breed
atomic robokid
musha aleste
gynoug
jackal

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:49 am

I rarely read the Ultimate Guide articles as they usually don't seem interesting to me.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:46 am

Sokurah wrote:I rarely read the Ultimate Guide articles as they usually don't seem interesting to me.
Why aren't they interesting? Is it the covered games?
Obviously if we know what the problem is we can attempt to fix it :)

Dannyhalifax

Post by Dannyhalifax » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:02 am

kiwimike wrote:I'm a massive Horror game fan, and would love to see some of these covered (and some have of course). Shadowman is one I mentioned in another thread, and a kind soul gave me a link to a Games TM feature. But would be happy to see one in RG. A guide to the Silent Hill series would be most welcome too
Good call on Shadowman 8)

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:01 pm

As a casual reader I had to go back to the last issue to see what an 'Ultimate Guide' was, as opposed to all the other articles.
In general I prefer the article s that are more to do with the game, how it plays, what's good or bad about it, how versions differ etc. I read the magazine for equal parts nostalgia and recommendation for games I may have missed and which may be worth picking up (how about an article on "The best games you can pick up 'System X' for less than £20"?)

So in short, yes, I like the ultimate guides and prefer them over the 'making of' and history articles which tend to end up full of anecdotes about what programmers were up to in 1985 (couldn't give a damn to be honest - is the game any good and why should I play it?)

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:59 pm

JamesC wrote:So in short, yes, I like the ultimate guides and prefer them over the 'making of' and history articles which tend to end up full of anecdotes about what programmers were up to in 1985 (couldn't give a damn to be honest - is the game any good and why should I play it?)
I agree wholeheartedly with this. For me I'm interested in the game and how it plays. I do sometimes read articles in RG where I feel we learn lots about how the program was written, but tell me nothing about how the game plays.

I am aware that some people feel the opposite, so this isn''t a criticism of the magazine, just my likes and dislikes.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:48 am

So you both like the fact that it breaks down various aspects of the game and so on and so forth. That's good to know? I'm basically trying to work out if people are happy to buy the magazine if an ultimate guide is the main game featured on the cover.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:00 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:So you both like the fact that it breaks down various aspects of the game and so on and so forth. That's good to know? I'm basically trying to work out if people are happy to buy the magazine if an ultimate guide is the main game featured on the cover.
Yes definitely.
If the cover game was Paperboy, for example, I'd like to see an overview/review of the original arcade machine, comparisons of the various home versions (proper short reviews rather than a single paragraph), a piece about the 'home only' sequel and an overview of other games that feature similar gameplay.
You do most of this anyway, and these are the elements I most enjoy about the magazine. The interviews and anecdotes about the programmers don't interest me (I realise others may disagree).

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:19 am

Yes I do like the Ultimate Guides generally, as they do go into detail about how a game plays as well as how it was written... I think they are a nice balance.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:30 pm

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Are there any games you'd love to see covered
Nebulus. :)
Hoping to get this as a Making Of soon rather than Ultimate Guide...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube