Which 6th gen console was your fave?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

It was

PS2
33%
Xbox
25%
GameCube
22%
Dreamcast
20%

Total votes: 60

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Which 6th gen console was your fave?

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:35 pm

I'm going to go for the Dreamcast. That machine is something of an enigma. It's certainly quirky(running Microsoft Windows CE, the novel controller with the VMU, the GD-ROM, etc.). There's a strong library of games(the shoot 'em ups are vast - and then Shenmue - but don't forget Sega Bass Fishing or Crazy Taxi!).

I'll give the PS2 second place. Quite a varied games library. I do like things like Gradius V and Strikers 1945 on it. Yakuza is also good as well. Then there's Crash Team Racing for you karting fans. It also can play DVDs and PS1 games - so another plus point.

The original Xbox is in third place. I think for me, there weren't enough exclusives for it - apart from things like Shenmue(but that was on the DC first) and Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic(but the PC version got an extra level and I played that).

I never really played that much on the Gamecube - so it passed me by.

gjones

Post by gjones » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:49 am

Probably my favourite generation of consoles.

I've always maintained that the Dreamcast was my favourite console, but I think the Gamecube is better. It felt the most sturdy, it had that beautiful Wavebird controller and of all of the consoles, the Gamecube's games hold up the best. I get why the Dreamcast can be viewed as overrated (and it is) as it had many flaws. The reset screen problem, the awkward positioning of the wiring on the controllers, how loud it was (it sounded like it was chopping up the discs, especially on the Shenmue games)...

The PS2 and Xbox were both systems I also really enjoyed, and spent more hours on to be honest. But I had experienced various hardware issues with both - the PS2 Slim however, was (and still is) a thing of beauty.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:09 am

Wow that is a tough choice. All 4 had some great exclusives and enough character to separate themselves from one another.
After much thought I would have to say;

1st) Playstation 2.
- Funnily enough I never had a PS2 at the time, I only really got into it in retrospect (about 5 or 6 years ago). It's the only one I still own. I actually have two, one of which is modified. True there's a lot of dross but many amazing games.
2nd) Xbox.
-Very close second. I probably spent more time on my brother's xbox than any other machine, due largely to San Andreas, Burnout 3, Halo and PGR2, but the PS2 exclusives just pipped it to no1 spot.
3rd) Gamecube
-The only console I've bought brand-new with my own money. Some great games but I think Nintendo didn't enjoy anywhere near as much support from 3rd party developers as Sony and Microsoft. Makes me wonder what I did with my GC. Sold it on ebay probably.
4th) Dreamcast.
-Apart from Sega's arcade conversions this one passed me by and, when I did get around to trying one, the big name games were already more than I was willing to pay. I've never been a fan of Sega's home consoles.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:17 am

The Laird wrote:That said this generation is definitely my least favourite of all of them.
I'm curious why that is? For me, 3d games really came of age on the console market without the obvious flaws that you would see in N64 and PS1 games.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:46 am

Last edited by The Laird on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:21 pm

I'm confused now, I thought we were talking about DC, PS2, GC and X-Box which did all of those things.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:33 pm

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:48 pm

The Laird wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm confused now, I thought we were talking about DC, PS2, GC and X-Box which did all of those things.
Not in my opinion.

Any how many arcade games came out on them? Hardly any. And even less if you exclude the Dreamcast, the rest of my post might have been my opinion but that is fact. Previous console generations always focused on arcade games from launch, this one didn't.
Hold on a minute, the arcade part was a little afterthought to your whole post.

Ant has a point, the 3d worlds, twinstick etc were well established in that Gen. I like how you brush over all of those points and only concentrate on the small part that you may be corrct on.

The rest is all false. Not an opinion but false facts.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:02 pm

I like the bit where we have to exclude the Dreamcast, which was almost completely an arcade system (with the Naomi hardware being just a slight variant), hosting loads of arcade game ports and the bulk of its original games being very arcadey in nature. And it bombed.

We can gloss over Ridge Racer etc too. We'll just pretend none of that happened, or the mass of retro compilations.

Arcade stuff may not have been the highly promoted or most prominent titles on the other systems, but they were out there.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:30 pm

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:38 pm

Honestly I believe there was loads of arcade stuff on the PS2 and Xbox. Any perceived back seat is only because of the rise of 3D gaming.

Capcom Classics Collection
Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2
SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1
Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol 1
Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol 2
Midway Arcade Treasures Vol 1
Midway Arcade Treasures Vol 2
Midway Arcade Treasures Vol 3
Taito Legends
Taito Legends 2
Namco Museum 50th Anniversary
Metal Slug Anthology
World Heroes Anthology
Atari Anthology
Pinball Hall of Fame: Gotlieb Collection
Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection
Sega Classics Collection
Sega Genesis Collection
Namco Museum
Gradius III & IV
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
King of Fighters Collection- The Orochi Saga (10/21/08)
King of Fighters 2000/ King of Fighters 2001
King of Fighters 2002/ King of Fighters 2003

the above are the only ones I personally owned but there were others... loads of NTSC ones like the vast SEGA AGES series

Also should mention games like R-type Final, Gradius 5 and Outrun that are derived from arcade games but are pure arcade gameplay at heart.

I would personally argue that arcade style gaming was strong in that generation despite the rise of 3D worlds etc.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:42 pm

Last edited by The Laird on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:47 pm

The Laird wrote:And people continue to mis-understand what I wrote.
I didn't read what you wrote, just what was quoted in the other posts.

I think it's a fairly obvious fact that full 3D worlds were in emergence during that gen and that the formula - like most gaming formulas - wasn't born perfect but it's my opinion that arcade style gaming was still strong... so I'd have to disagree with your point.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:09 pm

Last edited by The Laird on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:42 pm

The Laird wrote:When I play 3D games on the Xbox they often seem incredibly clunky control-wise
Some games might (none of which are the GTA games) but as a sweeping statement, that's bullshit.