Which 6th gen console was your fave?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

It was

PS2
33%
Xbox
25%
GameCube
22%
Dreamcast
20%

Total votes: 60

The Beans

Re: Which 6th gen console was your fave?

Post by The Beans » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:14 am

Sephiroth81 wrote::roll: @ stvd and Beans. Its not overly interesting seeing people being so dour and negative on message boards all the time either. Lighten up, for your own sake, if not for everyone else.

Anyways...THATS A REALLY INTERESTING FACT ENGLISHINVADER! :D
Why don't you censored off and take your censored stirring elsewhere for a change you tedious trolling pillock?

Somebody's posted something and they think it's interesting. I'm not seeing it. The thing to do then is ask why it's interesting. Further info is required. Now get back in your sad little hole of loneliness and let the grownups talk.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:54 am

The Beans wrote:
English Invader wrote:One interesting fact is that both the PS3 (86m) and the PS4 (40m) have long since outsold the original XBox (24m).
What is interesting about this fact? :?
I think it's interesting because it shows the gap between Microsoft and Sony. I was genuinely surprised to find that the PS2 (155m) outsold the original XBox by such a considerable margin and that even the less successful Sony follow-ups were still selling a lot more.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:19 am

From a commercial perspective, there was the PS2 and some also rans. It's only on a forum like this - or some den of Sega, Nintendo or Microsoft fandom - that it'd even be seen as a contest.

That said, I personally think that the GameCube games have aged a lot better both in terms of gameplay and visuals; some of the cartoon-like ones even still look good. Nobody does timeless classics like Nintendo, I suppose. However, pretty much everyone I knew who had one back in the day tended to do most of their gaming on another platform, most likely the PS2 or the PC.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:26 am

English Invader wrote:
The Beans wrote:
English Invader wrote:One interesting fact is that both the PS3 (86m) and the PS4 (40m) have long since outsold the original XBox (24m).
What is interesting about this fact? :?
I think it's interesting because it shows the gap between Microsoft and Sony. I was genuinely surprised to find that the PS2 (155m) outsold the original XBox by such a considerable margin and that even the less successful Sony follow-ups were still selling a lot more.
The original Xbox had a short lifespan before it was replaced by the 360 so it was never going to match those sales numbers. It would never have caught the PS2 even if it had a longer life because Microsoft have hardly any penetration in japan.
Comparing sales of the PS3 and PS4 to sales of the Xbox is nonsensical tbh. You are aware of the 360 and Xbox One I hope?
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:34 am

The Beans wrote:
Why don't you censored off and take your censored stirring elsewhere for a change you tedious trolling pillock?

Somebody's posted something and they think it's interesting. I'm not seeing it. The thing to do then is ask why it's interesting. Further info is required. Now get back in your sad little hole of loneliness and let the grownups talk.
Another extreme overreaction from Beans. Quel surprise. Calling me a troll is also rather hypocritical.

You're an unpleasant individual (at least on these forums), and you were being a d**k, and I won't apologise for calling you out on it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:41 am

learnedrobb wrote:Rather sadly, apart from the 2 Shenmue games, I don't think we ever got to see developers really stretch the DC to it's limits. It sure would have been interesting to see what could have bene achieved with another year or two of games behind it.
Given the hardware specs are pretty close to those of PS2, I'd have expected similar output.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:01 am

The DC did have the disadvantage of having discs with a far smaller capacity than PS2's blu-rays though. It's tragic that we didn't really get to see the DC given another couple of years of triple A games. I loved that machine.

It was another glorious era for gaming IMO. All four machines had some absolute belters in their catalogues. I still have a fondness for the Gamecube. Probably that in the days where everything felt the urge to be moody and cool, Nintendo put out a square purple console with a handle on it :lol:

Oh yeah, and the games were great!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:32 am

PS2 was only DVD. PS3 introduced Blu Ray.

GD-ROM was still only about a third/quarter of the capacity of a DVD iirc. Not that it mattered when you see stuff like Ikaruga crunched down to a 17MB download!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:51 pm

1. PS2 : what a machine. Lots to choose from, lots of great games.
2. Gamecube : Solid effort from Nintendo as always but not as high-achieving as the PS2, overall more good games on PS2
3. Dreamcast : The thing with the DC is, as they are almost all arcade games, they don't have long lastability. I realised when I had my DC that I want a console for more in-depth games. Having said that, the DC does what it does extremely well.
4. XBOX : the one console that didn't do much for me, most games didn't appeal. For emulation though, its great.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:07 pm

I really want to say Gamecube as I love that console, but if I was really honest the one I have spent most time on is the Xbox - purely for Halo and Halo 2. I think I lost a year of my life to those two games.

The Gamecube is great though, and games such as Wind Waker still look great today with their stylised graphics, unlike most Xbox games - which look cack.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:12 pm

English Invader wrote:
kiwimike wrote:Wow close poll. I think that reflects the excellence and quality that entire generation had.
Agreed.

One interesting fact is that both the PS3 (86m) and the PS4 (40m) have long since outsold the original XBox (24m).
I was thinking, wow PS4 40m...then realised it's been out a while now! I keep thinking this current gen has only been out just recently, especially as I'm still on the 360! Sign of age :wink:

Anyone got the final total stats for this 6th Gen? Be interesting to compare the gen's final totals. Although I still argue with myself whether DC is 6th gen, late 5th or 5.5!!! :lol:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:15 pm

ianpmarks wrote:I really want to say Gamecube as I love that console, but if I was really honest the one I have spent most time on is the Xbox - purely for Halo and Halo 2. I think I lost a year of my life to those two games.

The Gamecube is great though, and games such as Wind Waker still look great today with their stylised graphics, unlike most Xbox games - which look cack.
Yes, I'm the same- Usually in these polls about favourites it's an 'easy click' - You have a clear one you personally like over the others. This gen is tough, as all the consoles are just really good, and all of them had their own collection of superb games :)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:46 am

The Beans wrote: The original Xbox had a short lifespan before it was replaced by the 360 so it was never going to match those sales numbers. It would never have caught the PS2 even if it had a longer life because Microsoft have hardly any penetration in japan.
Comparing sales of the PS3 and PS4 to sales of the Xbox is nonsensical tbh. You are aware of the 360 and Xbox One I hope?
I remember being really miffed upon the original release of the 360. I felt the original Xbox was really starting to go great guns when Microsoft seemed to just terminate its contract with immediate effect. It took me awhile to come to terms with this and jump on board the 360. Then I did and my first game was Elder Scrolls Oblivion and I was hooked and have only just gone back to the original Xbox for coinOPS8.
Oh and personally I see nowt interesting in English_Invaders quote other than stating stuff about demonstrating gaps etc is just gonna get peoples backs up as demonstrated.
Last edited by gman72 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:05 am

I chose the ps2 purely based on the diverse amount of software it had and the incredible original IPs that started with the ps2, the Xbox was great but was short lived, they never gave it enough time to really push the envelope to what the machine could do which was a huge failure, the dreamcast was canned o ly to have its games ported over to the Xbox, why didn't just continue to make great games on the dream cast that would I believe subseeded the Xbox in the console wars at the time, although there games still being made for the dream cast it's not the same type of excitiment you had back then.

But the ps2 in opinion is the winner here because it had some if not the best range of games for any console of the time and just seemed to be the right machine to have, devil may cry, god of war, gran turismo, need I go on...
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:47 am

Gamecube is best for me, without a shadow of a doubt. Only game I really missed was PES, made do with WE6 FE though.

It had great games, not as many games as the PS2 but the quality was there.
DPrinny wrote:Gamecube, look outside Nintendos own games and its barren,
Depends if you're only looking at true exclusives that can only be played on the Camecube/Wii today, and you're counting Nintendo published games as 'Nintendo games'.

Although I don't know why people often draw this line at Nintendo related games when considering their consoles libraries. Seems pointless to me, why would anybody instantly disqualify a chunk of the library because all those different games were developed or published by Nintendo? Seems silly to blanket all Nintendo games together like that and write them all off as though they're all the same and/or all tainted by Nintendo's ghastly family friendly touch. As if not liking Paper Mario because it's too childish means you couldn't possibly like Metroid Prime, you don't like the look of Luigi's Mansion so Twilight Princess probably sucks as well? You have a great exclusive like F-Zero GX actually developed by a company under nintendo's old rivals Sega, but should we overlook it because it's Nintendo's franchise?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823