Redout, new old-school style futuristic Arcade racer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

Redout, new old-school style futuristic Arcade racer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:07 pm

A new hard core futuristic Arcade racer in the vein of WipeOut, F-Zero and so on was recently released, here the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhccQAh87IQ

It's available on PC (Steam) and consoles (PS4, XBO) and brings back the old, merciless difficulty and super fast Arcade racers into modern times. The price is quite good too, they don't expect you to pay the price of a so-called "AAA" title despite running on latest Unreal Engine 4 technology.

edit - some gameplay footage can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmcfoP-I74I

Antiriad2097

Re: Redout, new old-school style futuristic Arcade racer

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:40 am

£25 is a bit steep. The tracks themselves and the physics look ok, but it does look bland. There's almost nothing of interest in the trackside scenery.

No a patch on Formula Fusion so far, and that's only 15 quid.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:51 am

£20 would be more reasonable and, for that money, they should be providing ports for Linux and Mac.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:55 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:£25 is a bit steep. The tracks themselves and the physics look ok, but it does look bland.
Agreed, it's a generic Wipeout clone with none of the original's charm. £15 tops I'd say.
The OP seems a bit enamoured by the Unreal 4 engine. I don't see why, plenty of indie games use it. Developing a game with Unreal 4 and not charging £40 for it is hardly an indicator of Bargain Of The Year. Slick graphics aren't exclusive to triple-A titles either.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:05 am

I read a review of this elsewhere and the said it plays really well. It looks incredibly generic though, I'm completely baffled as to why they would make it look so much like a cheap Wipeout knock off - that's exactly how people will write it off without even playing it.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:09 am

The price discrepancy between the two games is probably down to Formula Fusion being in Early Access with limited content and RedOut being a fully featured final release. I've played both and think RedOut is the better game compared to FF in it's current state.
JamesC wrote:... I'm completely baffled as to why they would make it look so much like a cheap Wipeout knock off - that's exactly how people will write it off without even playing it.
It certainly doesn't look or play like a cheap knock off to me. It has that high res/low poly look that more and more games seem to be going for like Grow Home. The reason these games exist (and we can add in GRIP, the spiritual successor to Rollcage) is because there is a clamoring for them that Sony doesn't seem interested in fulfilling so I don't think those wanting them will write it off.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:43 am

Joey wrote:The price discrepancy between the two games is probably down to Formula Fusion being in Early Access with limited content and RedOut being a fully featured final release. I've played both and think RedOut is the better game compared to FF in it's current state.
JamesC wrote:... I'm completely baffled as to why they would make it look so much like a cheap Wipeout knock off - that's exactly how people will write it off without even playing it.
It certainly doesn't look or play like a cheap knock off to me. It has that high res/low poly look that more and more games seem to be going for like Grow Home. The reason these games exist (and we can add in GRIP, the spiritual successor to Rollcage) is because there is a clamoring for them that Sony doesn't seem interested in fulfilling so I don't think those wanting them will write it off.
Perhaps you're right and I'm certainly willing to accept that the gameplay is probably very good. No matter the current market conditions however, it doesn't change the fact that this game doesn't have a distinctive visual style to call its own - it looks very much like stuff we've seen a million times before. That's okay as a starting point but surely the opportunity should have been taken to pack some visual punch?

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Yeah, I am a big Wipeout fan but haven't picked this up because for some reason it just doesn't do anything for me visually. And I'm not normally one to dismiss a game on the basis of graphics.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:42 pm

Joey is right, the visual style is intentional and it certainly doesn't look bad (it ought not considering the modern, capable engine it's running on), here's another, newer trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr_BQyO6MbI

Those saying it's too expensive can wait for some sale, I'm sure it won't take too long before the price drops a little. The console version will be out around new year's time.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Game is on sale on Steam right now for 20> Euros (~17 Pounds/21 US Dollars). Check out the demo to see how you like it but be warned that the game wants a powerful graphics card and a controller. You will be wanting to play this on good visual quality with high framerates (game supports uncapped framerate) and good control and maybe even with vomit-causing VR support, if you own a VR device.