Mario coming to phones, iOS first in 2016.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

shiftytigger

Re: Mario coming to phones, iOS first in 2016.

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:05 pm

Played the first three levels up to the bit where it asked for payment and then replayed those levels a couple of times before not bothering any further. Its what I expected and though I can see the replay value for others , Ill stick to SMW and the first 3 for my 2d Mario kicks.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:03 am

Downloaded it. Played it for 5 minutes. Absolute garbage.
Looks nice, but it's really not Mario like to play, just Mario bolted onto a game mechanic I dislike.

There''s far better games of this genre on iOS... and importantly they don't cost 8 quid to play.
Poor show Nintendo. Poor show.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:44 am

I'm not so much against them charging for it. They made a game , it's only right. I think it's underhanded to let you play 3 levels then lock the rest of it. Offer it up as a FTP demo first and tell people up front how much the full game will be.

Not sure why I downloaded it as it's not my bag at all , but thought I'd give it a shot.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm confused as to why Nintendo are getting so much stick for this. 'Pay some money and get a game' is what we all expect, right? 'Download a game that says its free then wade through hundreds of adverts or wrestle with game mechanics designed cynically to encourage you to keep pumping in money' is a crap model and everyone knows it, or I thought they did. Maybe not.

I'm curious as to how many of the people who are outraged that Nintendo has the audacity to make them pay eight quid for this have pumped hundreds of pounds into Candy Crush or Clash of Clans over the years without even thinking about it. I've genuinely seen comments along the lines of 'This game is fantastic, but I'm not paying for it because I don't pay money for games'. There. Are. No. Words.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:33 pm

ianpmarks wrote:Downloaded it. Played it for 5 minutes. Absolute garbage.
Looks nice, but it's really not Mario like to play, just Mario bolted onto a game mechanic I dislike.

There''s far better games of this genre on iOS... and importantly they don't cost 8 quid to play.
Well I thnnk expecting 'proper' Mario was a bit much. Those games rely on fine controls, which are difficult on a touchscreen device that doesn't give you any tactile feedback. I think it was inevitable that if Mario appeared on phones it would be like this.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:28 am

killbot wrote:I'm confused as to why Nintendo are getting so much stick for this. 'Pay some money and get a game' is what we all expect, right? 'Download a game that says its free then wade through hundreds of adverts or wrestle with game mechanics designed cynically to encourage you to keep pumping in money' is a crap model and everyone knows it, or I thought they did. Maybe not.

I'm curious as to how many of the people who are outraged that Nintendo has the audacity to make them pay eight quid for this have pumped hundreds of pounds into Candy Crush or Clash of Clans over the years without even thinking about it. I've genuinely seen comments along the lines of 'This game is fantastic, but I'm not paying for it because I don't pay money for games'. There. Are. No. Words.
I'm not outraged... Nintendo can do what they want. I just didn't like the game, and think their are better (and cheaper) examples of that genre on the App store.

Also I've never played Candy Crush or Clash of Clans or any other freemium game.
Last edited by ianpmarks on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:33 am

killbot wrote:
ianpmarks wrote:Downloaded it. Played it for 5 minutes. Absolute garbage.

Well I thnnk expecting 'proper' Mario was a bit much. Those games rely on fine controls, which are difficult on a touchscreen device that doesn't give you any tactile feedback. I think it was inevitable that if Mario appeared on phones it would be like this.
I get this, it would be difficult on a touchscreen to play Mario. I know this because when i try to play SMB3 pn my NES emulator I soon give up in frustration.

I do however think that if Nintendo couldn't do a good Mario game then maybe they should have not made one. Better to have no mobile Mario than a not very good free runner clone. Just me though. I'm sure some people love it, and if it makes Nintendo a stink load of money so they can continue making great console versions of their IP's then I suppose it's all to the good.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:58 am

I seem to be in the minority that's really enjoying it! I'm not going to pay the full game upgrade but the Toad Rush mode is absolutely fantastic and NEEDS to be repeated for main series entries in the future.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:03 pm

I've bought the full game and I'm enjoying it for what it is and it passes the time on my daily commute to London. I used to pay more than £8 for some Spectrum games, 30 years ago. It's not really that bad a price for a fair few hours of fun is it?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:41 pm

killbot wrote:I'm confused as to why Nintendo are getting so much stick for this. 'Pay some money and get a game' is what we all expect, right? 'Download a game that says its free then wade through hundreds of adverts or wrestle with game mechanics designed cynically to encourage you to keep pumping in money' is a crap model and everyone knows it, or I thought they did. Maybe not.

I can remove your confusion. The game is getting so much stick because it's absolutely average and greatly overpriced within the context of the market it has been released in. It is, of course, a blatant cash-in on the Mario name that's every bit as cynical as the game mechanics you describe.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:24 pm

Candy Crush is a far better game, no question about that

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:17 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:

Candy Crush is a far better game, no question about that
You're entitled to your view on that, but my point was more about how they're monetised. Mario makes you pay an upfront fee then play as much as you like. Candy Crush is a game which is wildly unbalanced in order to 'encourage' players to keep pumping money in over months and years. I know which model I prefer.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:36 pm

First impressions are good.
Well presented, tutorials ease you in and it doesn't take long to make progress.

Having the single IAP is much better than conning you into buying "game currency" or energy. But mobile conventions are there, e.g. the 8-hour cool down on the bonus house.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:53 pm

For those that are not wanting to pay the £7.99 for the full game, TopCashback are offering 100% cashback on the upgrade.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:13 am

Played it a little bit now, not sure from what I've seen if I want to get the whole version. It's very polished and well put together, but I think I've had my fill.