Mario coming to phones, iOS first in 2016.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Joey

Mario coming to phones, iOS first in 2016.

Post by Joey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:29 pm

At the Apple conference.

Details:

- Mario runs automatically to the right, and jumps over gaps and enemies by tapping on the screen. The longer you tap, the higher and longer Mario jumps.
- There's also a battle mode for multiple players
- Paid game, not free to play, no subscriptions or anything. Pricing to be announced later, but will come out in time for holiday 2016.
- There's also a set of Super Mario stickers for iMessage, that will come out alongside iOS 10.

ALK

Re: Mario coming to phones, iOS first in 2016.

Post by ALK » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:09 pm

After the bags of money Pokemon Go earned them (I know, it gets split 3 ways, but still a fair bit.), makes perfect sense to put Mario on phones now.

Sure its not a full blown main entry in the series, but its still something designed for the phone user with 5-10 mins to kill and sure enough, tons of kids will be downloading it then tugging their parents' sleeve to buy the full game.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:54 pm

I'll definitely give it a go.

Astonishing to see Shigsy on an Apple event stage :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:44 pm

Are they getting the Jetpack Joyride people to do it? They've got the engine,it just needs a slight tweak and a reskin.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:33 pm

Wow, another runner type game

Only now with a license

Will sell loads as its Nintendo

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:42 pm

At least it's not an endless runner so the levels are actually designed individualy. I'm sure they will be packed with secrets and hidden areas in the usual style as well.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:14 am

Do we know this? The description above sounds very Jetpack Joyride to me.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:45 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Do we know this? The description above sounds very Jetpack Joyride to me.
I watched the whole event :wink:

The game is broken up into courses/worlds like a regular Mario game and each one has a flag pole at the end.

"Super Mario Run has a mode in which the player collects coins and heads for the goal, and a mode in which the player competes against the acrobatic moves of other people who have completed the same course. In addition, there is a mode in which you create your own Mushroom Kingdom based upon these play results."

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:29 am

Joey wrote:there is a mode in which you create your own Mushroom Kingdom based upon these play results.
That makes me think semi random course generation based on seeds selecting pre-built sections, more than entirely built levels.

Doesn't mean there won't be built levels, but still sounds rather Jetpack Joyride with a set course.

Still, might be fun for a bit.

David

Post by David » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:42 am

Anyone else think they will soon realise there's tons of cash to be made from mobile gaming as opposed to all the work and money spent releasing consoles no one bothers with like wii u

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:51 am

Mario exclusively on Apple, now we've seen it all... :wink:

If it earns them cash and increases interest for their games and systems, that's certainly a good thing for them. The move will also reduce the amount of all the copy cats that were poping up before they were officially on the new platform.

However, if the title proves a success, expect more mobile-oriented titles from Nintendo. This could spell a uncertain future for the "AAA" titles they make in favour of shorter, cheaper and more "casual" experiences. As strange as it sounds, the Wii U and 3DS might turn out to be the last of their breeds if the mobile-centric orientation kicks in (now console players will know what exactly PC gamers felt when a lot of formerly PC-centric companies suddenly became console-centric... :P ).

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:54 am

^ Ha! This is the thing. I expect if this makes them money (of course it bloody will), we can expect a big movement over to mobile. Though I think this will be in addition to their console output for now, but who can say in the future? Mario on mobile, what a time to be alive. All bets are off now.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:43 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Mario exclusively on Apple, now we've seen it all... :wink:

If it earns them cash and increases interest for their games and systems, that's certainly a good thing for them. The move will also reduce the amount of all the copy cats that were poping up before they were officially on the new platform.

However, if the title proves a success, expect more mobile-oriented titles from Nintendo. This could spell a uncertain future for the "AAA" titles they make in favour of shorter, cheaper and more "casual" experiences. As strange as it sounds, the Wii U and 3DS might turn out to be the last of their breeds if the mobile-centric orientation kicks in (now console players will know what exactly PC gamers felt when a lot of formerly PC-centric companies suddenly became console-centric... :P ).
I doubt it, Nintendo are ambitious developers and they've chosen not to follow the easy money before, they won't be able to replicate games like Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword on phones and tablets. It will be a sad day if Mario after the lofty heights of his 3D console games is reduced to a simplified game like this.

To me this is clarly Nintendo putting their brand back out there to the mainstream audience. After Pokemon Go you could feel the increased interest in Pokemon, the demand for used pokemone games and subsequently their prices shot up. This mario game is an accessible hook being danged out there, it's clearly not the full Mario experience which nintendo will still try to sell on it's own systems.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:17 am

So it's here. What does everyone think?

The game itself is pretty slick and fun, but the nintendo id stuff is still a nightmare. I ended up juggling my laptop, phone and 3DS to sort it all out.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:14 am

Played a couple of courses last night but it kept freezing part way through the levels, makes it unplayable for me at the moment but I'll have another look at it later.
Splink!