Sea Of Thieves

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
User avatar
HalcyonDaze00
Posts: 4621
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Sea Of Thieves

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:30 pm

this looks ace, great interview too:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/05/sea-of-th ... d-6110751/

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Sea Of Thieves

Post by The Beans » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:23 pm

The total focus on co-op has completely killed my interest. When it was first announced I thought the game looked awesome. Since then everything Rare have said about the game has been a turn off. They're completely in love with the idea of groups of friends and randoms teaming up to crew a ship and that's all they seem to have. The PvP element alone will bring massive griefing. I think it's going to be one of those games where the designers like their concept so much it blinds them to the realities of online multiplayer.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Sea Of Thieves

Post by The Beans » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:04 am

Yep, latest video from Rare confirms the game is a waste of time for anybody who wants to play alone. A real disappointment for me and I believe Rare are settihg themselves up for failure with this exclusively "social" approach to the game.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
thingonaspring
Posts: 1890
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:43 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Sea Of Thieves

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:13 am

The Beans wrote:Yep, latest video from Rare confirms the game is a waste of time for anybody who wants to play alone. A real disappointment for me and I believe Rare are settihg themselves up for failure with this exclusively "social" approach to the game.
I'm in exactly the same boat... this was one of very few games that would have tempted me to buy a xbox one for it, even. disappointing.

AceGrace
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: West Sussex
Contact:

Re: Sea Of Thieves

Post by AceGrace » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:31 am

Same here.

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: Sea Of Thieves

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:09 am

It's a F2P MMO and that was already known since it's announcement, so I don't get why anyone would suddenly feel disappointed. That sort of emotion would be plausible if they said they're making a full-priced single-player RPG/action adventure, but they never once said that. :wink:

I'll probably give the game a try on my PC and see if I like it or not. It certainly seems fun if you got friends to play with. And that ocean simulation is one of the best I've seen in games.

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Sea Of Thieves

Post by The Beans » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:04 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:It's a F2P MMO and that was already known since it's announcement, so I don't get why anyone would suddenly feel disappointed. That sort of emotion would be plausible if they said they're making a full-priced single-player RPG/action adventure, but they never once said that. :wink:
You don't know much about F2P MMOs, obviously. Or even MMOs in general. I can't think of a single one that doesn't cater directly for solo players in a significant way. I'm currently playing Trove on Xbox One and I haven't had to group with anybody for anything. Before that I put over a hundred hours into Star Trek Online with about half of that on the lengthy single player campaign and the rest seeing me doing endgame stuff completely solo. Before STO I was playing Neverwinter, another massive singleplayer campaign and no reason to group up. Ditto Elder Scrolls Online, an MMO with an enormous amount of single player content. Some things are just standard in an MMO. The ability to solo some of the game content is one of them.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

HEAVYface
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:48 am

Re: Sea Of Thieves

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:55 pm

you can play the game solo, certain things just become easier and theres more fun to be had with teamwork. they've said that all along.

but yes, the noise from the studio puts more emphasis on the teamwork aspect.

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: Sea Of Thieves

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:51 pm

The Beans wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:It's a F2P MMO and that was already known since it's announcement, so I don't get why anyone would suddenly feel disappointed. That sort of emotion would be plausible if they said they're making a full-priced single-player RPG/action adventure, but they never once said that. :wink:
You don't know much about F2P MMOs, obviously. Or even MMOs in general. I can't think of a single one that doesn't cater directly for solo players in a significant way. I'm currently playing Trove on Xbox One and I haven't had to group with anybody for anything. Before that I put over a hundred hours into Star Trek Online with about half of that on the lengthy single player campaign and the rest seeing me doing endgame stuff completely solo. Before STO I was playing Neverwinter, another massive singleplayer campaign and no reason to group up. Ditto Elder Scrolls Online, an MMO with an enormous amount of single player content. Some things are just standard in an MMO. The ability to solo some of the game content is one of them.
Well, you are right that I'm not that big on MMOs, the only MMORPGs that I played were Runescape (a solid "my first MMORPG" experience but I soon realized that it's too limited) and World of WarCraft, the popular, polished and diverse MMORPG that I couldn't really get into. However, I do play some MMOs, namely WW2 Online, the long running battlefield simulator, EvE Online, the now F2P space sim MMO and Planetside 2, the futuristic Battlefield-style MMOFPS, and none of these games actually reward you for soloing. So I don't really have much experience with more single-player oriented MMOs, but I did hear Guild Wars was pretty good for that kind of thing.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests