Console Wars Memories

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: Console Wars Memories

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:20 am

David wrote:I'm well jealous of all these places were kids were playing handheld on the playground and having jolly banter

If you whipped a handheld out in my school then two minutes later you would have a burst mouth and no handheld :cry:
:lol:

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:11 am

learnedrobb wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:everybody I knew had the mighty Amiga, just a few unfortunate souls stuck with the massively inferior ST.

when a few did start buying the consoles it was clear the SNES was the better machine, little wonder it dragged the megadrive round like a dirty rag and crushed it to the tune of over 20m extra worldwide sales.

not sure if you would call it a "war", more of an annihilation.
Not really. Nintendo dominated with the SNES in Japan for sure, but outside Japan? Not so clear cut at all. In the US the SNES edged it (only overtaking the MD after Sega announced it was working on the Saturn which lead to a significant sales slow down for the "Genesis"), and in Europe, the MD was the clear winner.

So your statement is accurate, but only with conditions attached.
both machines were released to the worldwide market, the snes crushed the megadrive by over 20 million units.

like you said, my statement is accurate.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:20 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
learnedrobb wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:everybody I knew had the mighty Amiga, just a few unfortunate souls stuck with the massively inferior ST.

when a few did start buying the consoles it was clear the SNES was the better machine, little wonder it dragged the megadrive round like a dirty rag and crushed it to the tune of over 20m extra worldwide sales.

not sure if you would call it a "war", more of an annihilation.
Not really. Nintendo dominated with the SNES in Japan for sure, but outside Japan? Not so clear cut at all. In the US the SNES edged it (only overtaking the MD after Sega announced it was working on the Saturn which lead to a significant sales slow down for the "Genesis"), and in Europe, the MD was the clear winner.

So your statement is accurate, but only with conditions attached.
both machines were released to the worldwide market, the snes crushed the megadrive by over 20 million units.

like you said, my statement is accurate.
Statisically, yes. But your "extra 20m worldwide" sales were mostly in the Japanese market. So a more accurate statement would be this:

"The SNES outsold the Megadrive/Genesis by around 20m units. However, the bulk of this 20m was within the Japanese market. In the rest of the world they matched up much more closely, so for anyone not in Japan, they were pretty much neck-and-neck."

I do understand, however, that this won't meet your obvious Nintendo fanboy levels of fervor, and just isn't derogatory enough towards Sega.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:29 am

everyone had one or the other. my friends at school all had mega drives, so did I. My friend Nick didn't go to my school, he had a snes, we had banter but both knew that each system had a lot of decent games, otherwise we would have both had the same system.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:36 am

good grief! that's the first time I have ever been accused of being a Nintendo fanboy :lol: I'm usually being threatened with a ban for being too hostile towards Nintendo.

the simple, undeniable fact, is that the snes massively outsold the megadrive, they were both released to the worldwide audience and the snes won.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:42 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:good grief! that's the first time I have ever been accused of being a Nintendo fanboy :lol: I'm usually being threatened with a ban for being too hostile towards Nintendo.

the simple, undeniable fact, is that the snes massively outsold the megadrive, they were both released to the worldwide audience and the snes won.
Yes. No one is disputing that fact. I am however disputing your stupid crap about dragging the Megadrive round like a dirty rag. And the fact that your figures need context. When you add the context (the SNES was massively more popular in Japan, whereas it wasn't literally everywhere else), it puts a different perspective on the Megadrive vs SNES "war".
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:05 am

learnedrobb wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:good grief! that's the first time I have ever been accused of being a Nintendo fanboy :lol: I'm usually being threatened with a ban for being too hostile towards Nintendo.

Yes. No one is disputing that fact. I am however disputing your stupid crap about dragging the Megadrive round like a dirty rag. And the fact that your figures need context. When you add the context (the SNES was massively more popular in Japan, whereas it wasn't literally everywhere else), it puts a different perspective on the Megadrive vs SNES "war".
brilliant :lol: you're like one of those Japanese soldiers you used to read about, you know the ones, come stumbling out of some jungle in the Philippines still think they are fighting the war.

here you are, in 2016, getting all ar5ey because I said the megadrive was dragged around like a rag, pick whatever terminology you want, snes crushed the megadrive, no question about that.

keep fighting soldier :lol:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:33 am

learnedrobb wrote:
I'm a massive SNES fanboy, but have to say that looking at all of the arguments raised over the years, it would appear that hardware wise globally, including South American sales, the two are much closer matched than some Wikipedia entries would suggest, despite Sega doing everything they could to screw it up with the release of woeful add-ons and rushing out the Saturn. SNES edged it out in the end due to the launch of the N64 being in 1996/7 pending on the region, as well as some really strong SNES series like Donkey Kong Country being released even when new hardware was launched by Sony and Sega. It would appear that the figures of 49m SNES vs Megadrive 29m sales would be rather generous to Nintendo. In more recent years, the MD/Genesis upon further research put the Sega figure at around 39.7m - so around a 10m deficit to Nintendo IF 49m for Nintendo is indeed accurate.

Software sales, it seems the majority of the biggest hits (again globally) were SNES games. Perhaps the Megadrive had a wider selection of titles which sold relatively well, and the SNES was dominated by a few heavy hitters like Mario World/Kart, DKC and Final Fantasy.

What is clear though that between 1991 and 1993, it was a very closely contested hardware battle between the SNES and Megadrive. Certain regions would favour Sega, and others would for Nintendo. Japans love of Ninty gave them the edge overall.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:47 am

Great post Seph, nice to see at least one person has done their research. It never ceases to amaze me how some people like to just make stuff up or selectively quote information to suit their own agendas even in the face of indisputable fact.

The 16-bit war was a very close one and probably the greatest console battle of them all with 2 (3 if you count the PCE aswell) very worthy contenders that are still highly regarded today and rightly so.
Last edited by The Laird on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:03 pm

The reverse of Halycon's argument is that the Xbox and 360 must have been abject failures because they barely sold in Japan, or the Master System failed because it didn't sell in the US.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ulala

Post by ulala » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:19 pm

In the UK there wasnt a console war, just like there wasnt a video game crash.

The megadrive was the fist console released, in Jp in 1988. I was a person who imported one, loads of others did too and grey imports were covered very well in the UK video game media - you could buy one mail order very easily.

2 years later in 1990 the pal megadrive was released in the UK and everyone i knew suddenly had megadrives. It was the upgrade of choice for mastersystem owners, i didnt know a single person who had a nes, or anyone who had imported/ uupgraded to a SNES when it was released in japan in 1990.

It was another 2 years, 2 VERY long years until the Uk pal SNES was released, by which time the megadrive had a huge foothold in the UK.

After the hype surrounding Mario World, I myself got a snes around the release day.

They then kind of co-existed, but there wasnt a playground war like that experienced between speccy and c64. The megadrive was first and then fizzled out a bit when the UK snes was released. But no running battles, no sega does what nintendont etc. To print otherwise in a UK magazine would be incorrect.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:57 pm

Mayhem wrote:The reverse of Halycon's argument is that the Xbox and 360 must have been abject failures because they barely sold in Japan, or the Master System failed because it didn't sell in the US.
The Spectrum, C64 and Amiga were a failure too because they all sold terribly in Japan :lol:

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:09 pm

The Laird wrote: It never ceases to amaze me how some people like to just make stuff up....
Said the king of making stuff up!!!!

Come on - please don't stir things up unnecessarily. mpm.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Computer wars were bigger imo, the only console wars I remember was with sf2 and then mortal Kombat having blood/no blood etc

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:07 pm

stvd wrote:
The Laird wrote: It never ceases to amaze me how some people like to just make stuff up....
Said the king of making stuff up!!!!
You're not one to hold a grudge are you?